Club Chopper Forums

Club Chopper Forums (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/)
-   West Coast Chopper Builds (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/west-coast-chopper-builds/)
-   -   Ugly Betch! New Episode of CFL REHAB... A new(ish) build thread. (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/west-coast-chopper-builds/99345-ugly-betch-new-episode-cfl-rehab-new-ish-build-thread.html)

CloudDiver 05-17-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussiechop (Post 1220752)
Nice! love the before and after shots. Great work, the front end looks amazing, I can't remember if you extended the rake? It looks it..

Nope... The springer has zero rake in the trees. Its just the rocker arms that put the wheel out a few inches giving it the same wheel base as if it had 3 degree trees and 6 over forks. By the definition of Twisted Choppers this springer was 6 over.

HellionsMC 05-17-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudDiver (Post 1220754)
Frame, engine, oil bag, rear brake caliper, top motor mount, thats about it!

Damn did you end up coming out ahead cost-wise? I was under the impression it was going to be a low-cost build and your other CFL would be your big $$$ ride. Looks great either way, combo of rust, black, nickel, and Hot Dog's pinstriping is amazing.

caymanchris 05-17-2013 09:59 PM

Very nice Cloud!! Now you can sell it and start a second episode ! Part 2!

CloudDiver 05-17-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellionsMC (Post 1220758)
Damn did you end up coming out ahead cost-wise? I was under the impression it was going to be a low-cost build and your other CFL would be your big $$$ ride. Looks great either way, combo of rust, black, nickel, and Hot Dog's pinstriping is amazing.

If I had kept the original wheels and transmission it would have for sure been a budget build. After what I sold in parts I probably still came out of pocket at least $3K after that, with the $9500 purchase price I think I was able to pull this off for around 15 to 16 thousand... Not too bad I guess.

CloudDiver 05-25-2013 11:16 PM

I just rode from San Diego up to Murrietta, 75 miles to a friends place for dinner and back.... Fuck, my kidneys hurt! I think I'm going to re-name this bike "Violence... With Springs"

BTW, I moved back to San Diego this week. Taking a big risk and starting my own business brokering trucks. Nothing is for certain so I'm keeping my resume out there for a back up day job. In the mean time I might sell this bike before I had planned to, and I had only planned to after I finish putting together the other CFL. The Ducati will probably go soon as well, but I'd like to be able to keep one or the other. I wasn't planning to sell the Duc until the model is released which I am pretty sure will be announced this fall. I'm not planning to do any track days until next season so it might not be such a bad idea to move the 848 BEFORE the new model comes out.

flysocal77 06-23-2013 09:42 AM

So how's the bike Cloud? I'm seriously considering going with a 2/1 on my sporty CFL. Put my SS pipes on eBay, if they sell I will probably modify a set of WCC 2/1 pipes and run the same muffler as you. How do you like it?

I was playing around with WCC 2/1 and i think it would look good and I want the bike to be very rideable. They fit okay but I will probably have chassis design weld on new header ends. I don't know what the deal is with WCC pipes but their header ends (where flanges attach) are so cheap. The pipes chassis design made for me are rock solid.

I also need to figure out how to attach the muffler to headers. Not a big fan of the clamp. Thinking of using springs or something so it doesn't get loose and fall off.

CloudDiver 06-23-2013 08:59 PM

Bike is running great, love cruising around but even with the springs it can bounce me pretty hard. The other night I noticed the springs had come clear off the perches after I went through a pretty rough intersection.

The pipes run great. They are not ear splitting loud and I think I mentioned before the CO2 number from the dyno pull says its a very efficient burn, it would actually pass emissions. I wouldn't waste my time with WCC 2-1 headers if you are going to use the muffler I did and change out the flanges too... just start from scratch. I have my other set I can send you detailed pics of. Best thing to do is build out your own bends so you know they will fit right. Anthony will put the muffler just where want it and it will be a nice tight fit. You can use springs, but I actually used 5/16 bolts through tabs provided by the muffler maker. The top just has a nut on it, the bottom bolts into the mount I made, which reminds me I have yet to post pics of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flysocal77 (Post 1223483)
So how's the bike Cloud? I'm seriously considering going with a 2/1 on my sporty CFL. Put my SS pipes on eBay, if they sell I will probably modify a set of WCC 2/1 pipes and run the same muffler as you. How do you like it?

I was playing around with WCC 2/1 and i think it would look good and I want the bike to be very rideable. They fit okay but I will probably have chassis design weld on new header ends. I don't know what the deal is with WCC pipes but their header ends (where flanges attach) are so cheap. The pipes chassis design made for me are rock solid.

I also need to figure out how to attach the muffler to headers. Not a big fan of the clamp. Thinking of using springs or something so it doesn't get loose and fall off.

->Bullet<- 07-03-2013 03:30 AM

turned out very cool, congrats cloud :cool:

250CFL 07-18-2013 02:28 AM

What you guys think, this worthy of a shot? I bet someone could get it for $11k....

Real West Coast chopper CFL project motorcycle

TWOWHLSIRVIVR 07-18-2013 06:06 AM

Yep, I'd offer $3000 for that one! It sucks!

250CFL 07-18-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWOWHLSIRVIVR (Post 1225649)
Yep, I'd offer $3000 for that one! It sucks!

That is kind of harsh bro, that is my moms scoot... :LOL:

TWOWHLSIRVIVR 07-18-2013 02:16 PM

Oooooooooooooooops!

CloudDiver 07-18-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 250CFL (Post 1225677)
That is kind of harsh bro, that is my moms scoot... :LOL:

That's not a bad start of a CFL Rehab bike... if you can live with the blue! The seat mounting is all wrong, so I would have to ruin the paint anyway by remount the seat hinge. I'd get rid of that Springer because I like the twisted Choppers and Chassis Design styles much better and they are only $1200, cheaper than a new telescopic fork with raked trees. Other than that, not bad of a start, especially with the FU pipes.

I'd offer the guy $10K at best I think. You might not think that's fair since the Ugly Betch I bought for close to that was in way worse shape... but my motor was worked, heads ported and flowed, 10:1 compression Wiesco pistons, .6 lift cam and polished. This drive train is stock HD crate. Plus, the color sucks.

BTW, I dig Billy Lane but having him sign the leather on a CFL seat? Was that a political statement?

CloudDiver 07-18-2013 04:15 PM

And WTF is the headlight doing down there?! I like thinking outside the box but some shit is just plain wrong when it will not be functional as intended.

The ad says 2 up 6 out... does he mean 6 up and 2 out?

Another knock on the price is that it is a 'project', unfinished and non-titled, so the buyer would have to go through the entire Special Construction title mess (another selling point on the Ugly Betch I ended up with, only cost me $400 for my papers and plate).

Brake lines and wire-harness are not complete/non-existant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 250CFL (Post 1225637)
What you guys think, this worthy of a shot? I bet someone could get it for $11k....

250CFL 07-18-2013 05:05 PM

Damn Cloud you are getting good at estimating shit now. I agree completely with everything you said "except" I do not think I would offer more than $8k just to see if he would bite. That would be if I wanted the bike for myself. Even at $8k there is not much if any room for profit.

I could not figure out that headlight deal for the life of me, WTF??? :whacked:

Yeah that blue is sure making a statement, the wrong f***ing statement, but a statement nonetheless.

250CFL 07-18-2013 05:08 PM

Oh and I bet that Billy said "sure I will sign it" with a big ass grin on his face. Him and JJ are good so I am sure it was a friendly kick in the ass...

Aussiechop 07-19-2013 03:09 AM

Yeah that is a terrible CFL.

Miamio96 07-19-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 250CFL (Post 1225692)
Damn Cloud you are getting good at estimating shit now. I agree completely with everything you said "except" I do not think I would offer more than $8k just to see if he would bite. That would be if I wanted the bike for myself. Even at $8k there is not much if any room for profit.

I could not figure out that headlight deal for the life of me, WTF??? :whacked:

Yeah that blue is sure making a statement, the wrong f***ing statement, but a statement nonetheless.

$6K tops here....

CloudDiver 07-19-2013 05:29 PM

I think the key difference would be; Are you going to try to buy it for yourself and change it up to have a nice CFL and get away with less than say $15K invested after all the changes?
-OR-
Are you buying it to flip a profit?

For profit, I agree, 6K tops because having a weak stock motor, then the changing up the color, swaping out some small parts and then going through the song and dance of special construction title and registration to sell it you'd be lucky to make a $1500 profit. If you are great painter with supplies on hand, and a welder and can do most of the work yourself that is.

If you were to buy this for yourself I could be a good start at a fair price at $8K, but I wouldn't touch it without that title in hand first.

FRANKTHECRANK 07-19-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 250CFL (Post 1225637)

The thing that kills it most for me is the Villain tank with ape hangers,........I hate that look. It's all wrong.

It wouldn't be perfect by any means but,....a pair of drag bars and risers would help that bike a lot.

Somerset MA is only about a 35 minute ride from me.

CloudDiver 07-20-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRANKTHECRANK (Post 1225778)
The thing that kills it most for me is the Villain tank with ape hangers,........I hate that look. It's all wrong.

It wouldn't be perfect by any means but,....a pair of drag bars and risers would help that bike a lot.

Frank, with your Paint skills I think you'd have the best chance and getting this bike up to snuff with the lowest out of pocket cost... just depends on what you think a fair price would be to get the guy to sell it to you for.

I'm sticking with my point about the title. If the guy had gone through the trouble of taking care of the paper first I think he'd have an easier time selling it. As it is I'm pretty sure he'd get beat up pretty bad.

I'm not a fan of the stock look of the wrinkle black on the motor. My engine guy in Phoenix, Mark, is really talented and fair with his motor work prices. For $150 he would break the motor down so you could do a cool, but affordable satin black hi-temp coating, then re-build and test and $550 but thats after whatever machine work you do to the heads, cam change, piston etc.... Ah, its all a wash! More Power!

CloudDiver 07-20-2013 12:47 PM

This brings up another point, I think I've talked about this before... Wouldn't it be great to be a MC builders club that is like a co-op to barter services? You got a painter, a welder, a fabricator, an engine guy, everyone goes to swap meets and digs through their own garages for parts.... Then 'you hook me up and I'll hook you up' work is done by everyone for everyone else... End result is a bunch of dudes with cool bikes who don't have to break the bank for the stuff they need.

We probably already have that among all the regular contributors to this site, we just all live in the far corners of the country (and the world, not to leave out our bros down under and Europe, etc).
I know that if any CC member needed anything I'd fire up my TIG welder in a heart beat as long as they bring the beer!

Quote:

1 bad cfl 07-20-2013 05:49 PM

I'd buy the pipes off of it ain't a bad rehab bike

CloudDiver 08-20-2013 07:44 PM

Fuck... I think I just fried my starter solenoid. FML.

chopperdiva 08-20-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Like you need another project to work on :p**)

CloudDiver 08-21-2013 12:48 PM

Here is a pic of what happened to the starter;
Looks like the insulation burned on the bottom where made contact with the solenoid housing and shorted out.
Hopefully this is an easy fix, there are $35 solenoid rebuild kits for Spyke starters.
My 30 amp starter relay fuse did not pop, I have LED glow type in there.
The rest of the electrical system is still working as far as I can tell, but the headlight is not coming on, so I'll address the starter first and see what happens after.
Pain in the ass because the bike will be down for a few days, but I have to get ready for the Fiesta de Kustom Kulture on Sept 7 anyway. I had planned on taking my pipes off for a detail polish, oil change, etc.
Better get to work...
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...ps96bf053c.jpg

Aussiechop 08-22-2013 03:33 AM

Damn, that sucks. Makes me want to go over my wiring and see if anything is rubbing.

My top engine mount bolt came loose on a small ride last weekend, damn bikes (or the people who build them hehe)!

CloudDiver 08-23-2013 07:12 PM

Good news is there is nothing wrong with my starter solenoid. I took off the battery, repaired the burn in the cable, and then took off the solenoid cover and pulled the core. Not seeing any burned contacts or wires I put it back in and then connected a fully charged spare battery and the bike started right up.
So, problem is I think I lunched that expensive Shorai lithium battery. I'll have to get the battery tested to check and see if anything is messed up. If that battery is trashed I'll have to get a new one, probably a regular lead acid this time, but it has to fit the Chassis Design Co. battery box.

CloudDiver 08-29-2013 02:46 PM

Should be picking up a new battery tonight... It looks like Shorai does not want to honor the full warranty, but instead give me a trade in and charge $120. Cheaper just to buy a new lead acid battery and I still need to test the charging system with the new digital volt meter I just got. I doubt there is anything wrong with the charging system, but I will check just in case.

Getting ready for the Fiesta De Kustom Kulture show here in S.D. next week. I think I mentioned before that the 316 stainless of my muffler keeps shiny and looks great, but the polished 304 SS the headers are made of tarnishes quickly just from moisture in the air. I took them off to get them cleaned up and figured out a way to get it shined up again without the hours of hand polishing or buying big buffing wheels for my bench grinder. I have a DeWalt variable speed polisher with foam pads. Its a bit big to use by hand for these pipes but I clamped in my bench vice with the soft jaws, and the polisher has a lock on the trigger. In the future I think I will chrome them, doing this every few months is a pain. I'll post some pics of how bad the pipes are tarnishing and what they look like before and after.

CloudDiver 09-07-2013 09:59 PM

Had the bike in the Fiesta de Kustom Kulture show in old Town San Diego today. You can check out pics of all the bikes and cars when they upload them to the Facebook page.

I got two trophies, but I only got to take one of them home!

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6673a84.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0cc8037e.jpg

krymis 09-08-2013 07:07 AM

cloud what springer did you get and in what length and width? I thought you got the twisted springer. it looks like a wide wishbone.

caymanchris 09-08-2013 08:12 AM

Cool prize Cloud ! Bike look great!

CloudDiver 09-08-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krymis (Post 1230203)
cloud what springer did you get and in what length and width? I thought you got the twisted springer. it looks like a wide wishbone.

Yes, That's the Twisted Choppers wide wishbone. On 4 up CFL they recommend a 6 over springer. I'm really happy with it, there are 2 springers I like and this is one of them.

krymis 09-08-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudDiver (Post 1230207)
Yes, That's the Twisted Choppers wide wishbone. On 4 up CFL they recommend a 6 over springer. I'm really happy with it, there are 2 springers I like and this is one of them.

what is the inside width from rocker to rocker and what is the inside width rear leg to rear leg?

flysocal77 09-08-2013 05:00 PM

Very cool I know you didn't build it as a show bike but its nice to get recognition for a job well done.

SKT 02-05-2014 11:54 AM

Any updates or new pics to share?

Great job with this one - I really like the way it turned out!

I saw the below thread as well, and was curious if you've had any interest spark up from your trade request:

http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/we...c-hot-rod.html

CloudDiver 02-05-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKT (Post 1239485)

Any updates or new pics to share?

Great job with this one - I really like the way it turned out!

I saw the below thread as well, and was curious if you've had any interest spark up from your trade request:

http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/we...c-hot-rod.html

No real updates on this bike, I just recently changed the oil and have been riding it, less often now that is is cooler and getting dark early. I probably put around 2000 miles on it this summer, and just rode it last weekend because it was in the 70's and sunny.

Haven't had any interest on the trade or sale thread. I'm in no hurry, but once I get the other CFL done and have to insure them both I will be a bit more motivated to find a new home for this one. If I win the lottery it stays in my stable forever, haha!

Aussiechop 02-06-2014 04:22 AM

With changing the oil, do you just remove the supply hose to the engine from the tank?

Half-Fast 02-06-2014 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussiechop (Post 1239526)
With changing the oil, do you just remove the supply hose to the engine from the tank?

I use a LiquiVac. LiquiVac Large Project/Engine Model (capacity 8 quarts) – free shipping | LiquiVac

Qwickk 02-06-2014 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Half-Fast (Post 1239527)

X's 2... Use it on everything, my boats, riding mower, cycles..... Works great. My kids prefer to call it the oil sucker outer....