Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > West Coast Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
tube benderbuild questions. die weights, radius, plans
Last Post: krymis
Posted On: Today
Replies: 7
Views: 214
Fork oil
Last Post: Am4wag
Replies: 2
Views: 81
What starter and battery for my Ultima 127"
Last Post: STEINBVG
Replies: 9
Views: 134
Finished pics of 250 cfl build
Last Post: waxlrose
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 22
Views: 696
Julio airbrush new art
Last Post: Michelangelo
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 4
Views: 98
More...
Old 01-16-2013, 08:25 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
This is a SPUTHE trans case I picked up cheap. I was going to have it polished and maybe put a 6 speed into it, but I discovered a small issue. My stock Harley starter wont fit, nor will my Spyke... The hole in the dog ear is too small, and notice how its is stepped too. Am I going crazy? I'm pretty darn sure this is a 5 speed case... I called Sputhe, no answer or call back...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
In case any equipment heads wanted to see what the Soda Blast rig looks like... Its on a 16ft trailer, you can blast anywhere because baking soda is environmentally friendly.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wheels got a cleaning... they are for sale if anyone wants to throw me an offer...

*** SOLD & Shipped out Today w/ the front fork and WCC fenders ***

Last edited by CloudDiver; 01-23-2013 at 10:42 PM..
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL, 113" Ultima
Not Ranked     
Love it man.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Did some work on the frame last night... cut off the bad plate mount tabs and battery box tabs. There was anouther tab under the right side axle that i think was and old brake heim joint mount. I left the tab in front of the right side trans support which will be good for an exhaust bracket or even a chassis ground.
I'll have a new battery tray in a week or so to weld in. A few other small weld repairs and re-mounting the gas tank should be easy stuff... the only mock up challenge will be the rear fender. The radius of the old mount does not match the new fender, so I have to cut if off and re-shape it, then weld back on. I have not made up my mind yet if I will use frame bungs or fender struts but I need one or the other along with the center mount.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The word on the engine...

So I got a hold of the original owner of the bike, and he gave me the name of the shop that did the motor. Long story short, I don't have to do a damn thing to the motor. The heads have already been ported and valves done. I knew there was 10:1 Weisco pistons from the build sheet but I had no idea what cam or anything else. So I called Lee's Speed Shop Home and he had me read him off the numbers that were stamped beside the front cylinder intake port. From those numbers he could tell it had the 'Pro Street' port and 5 angle valve job in 2006. He didn't have the documents but from that he knew there would be somewhere around a .6 lift cam, probably a Redshift 595.
I opened up the points cover and sure enough there was a Crane Hi-4 ignition module in there...sweet. So basically the motor only needs new gaskets and I can take the heads and jugs to be polished while the top end is apart. I'll polish the cases by hand...

Well, that info just saved me time and money. All I have to do now is get the right 2 into 1 exhaust on there, a proper air cleaner, go to the dyno for jetting and tuning and this Evo should put out around 92-96 hp is my best guess...

Last edited by CloudDiver; 01-24-2013 at 10:01 PM..
Old 01-23-2013, 02:29 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2003 CFL in progress. TP 124
Not Ranked     
If you suspect your rear end is modified just measure your axle. Should be 11" on a stock 200 CFL
Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
[quote=flysocal77;1211343]If you suspect your rear end is modified just measure your axle. Should be 11" on a stock 200 CFL

Yup... Mine is 11.75"
So the frame has def been widened. It didn't specifically spell that out on the invoice copy I got from Precision Metal Fab Racing, but I had my suspicions.

Once I got a real good look at the original set up before I took the bike apart it seems this was done for two reasons;
He wanted to run a pulley with a 200 tire when the CFL was designed to go 180 with a pulley or 200 with a chain. There was a 180 on it when I got it but it was way too skinny for the fender and the gap between the tire and the belt left plenty of room for a 200.
Also he wanted to run a molded seat pan that had a tapered front, see in the pics below, where the bends on a regular CFL frame lends to a squared off front on molded seats.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
So the issues at hand are a widened frame and the transmission mounts have been moved;
Old 01-24-2013, 09:52 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
There is still a .5 inch spacer between the engine and the primary backing plate, but I noticed there is no off-set behind the pulley on the transmission... and everything was lined up between wheel hub, pulley, belt, to trans pulley...
So the spacing may be different with my new wheels but it'll be a matter of rear wheel pulley spacing and everything should line back up... I hope.

Oh, BTW... I think the whole idea of 'Budget Build' is out the window... I think I'm now going to call this bike "Low Budget to No Budget"!
Then again, according to my nerdy spreadsheet of cost of new parts vs. what I'm making selling off the old stuff I should only end up about $2500 cash out of pocket on this build. Time will tell if that holds true because now I am considering chroming the frame ;-)

Here are my new wheels... PM Wrath

Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2003 CFL in progress. TP 124
Not Ranked     
2500 and counting. I'll put 20 bucks on 20K just to piss you off. Bring your receipts to the LBC when the budget bikes face off. The wrath wheels are killer, my favorite PM design. You stole them but far cry from budget, those are top shelf!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Where did you get the wheels?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardluck13 View Post
Where did you get the wheels?
I got the rear wheel as a set with a front 18 x 3.5 that I will re-sell. $1000 for the set but it came with matching rotors and pulley. I got a new front 21 x 21.15 from Rider's Discount, $1000... So $2200 for everything minus whatever I can sell that 18x3.5 front for, maybe $400.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Your gonna have 20 grand into this thing. So much for the budget build. Don't feel bad I'm on the same boat.[/quote]
I need to teach you guys how to do a low budget build.

Last edited by SOCAL; 01-27-2013 at 08:14 AM..