Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > West Coast Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
I dont have a fancy name, 2014 140 CFL build
Last Post: jgs348
Posted On: Today
Replies: 24
Views: 1,378
battery
Last Post: rastoy
Replies: 5
Views: 77
Finished Product
Last Post: caymanchris
Replies: 4
Views: 76
Old and Fat
Last Post: DeathBySnuSnu
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 34
Views: 2,446
FNG here from CO
Last Post: 18Bravo
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 12
Views: 544
More...
Old 03-06-2013, 05:56 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL, 113" Ultima
Not Ranked     
Very nice work man, love it.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Well, this weekend has had its highs and lows...

On the low side, I ran into more than one part issues; mostly easy to overcome but the most painful is that I ordered the wrong PM hydraulic clutch slave. Totally my own fault for not paying attention to part numbers, I got the fluted chrome which is only for 07 and up HD 6 speed transmissions. I can't return it because I opened the package!

Anyway, the bike is completely taken apart for finish welding and while I had the frame on the welding table I ran out of Argon! On a Saturday in Phoenix you only have until noon to get to Vern Lewis for a bottle exchange. So at about 4pm I ran dry and I guess I'm done until I get a new bottle Monday.

The engine is already with my motor guy who has taken the top end down and I'm going Monday to pick up stuff for polishing. Good news is that he said it cleans up real easy and going to a polishing shop may not be needed. I'll give it a try by hand and see if I can get it shiny again.

I finished the tank mounts and did one final fit on the fender to check clearances. A little clean up work on both and they will be ready to go to electroless nickel.

I wish I had been able to finish the frame so I could drop it off to the plating shop on Monday but that won't happen until later in the week. Looks like next weekend will be a BYE week!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Picked up the disassembled motor today, taking the jugs and heads into polish tomorrow morning. So far it has cleaned up pretty nice. A spin on the polishing wheel will have them looking pretty bling.

Have a new bottle of argon but realized I left all my welding rod in my friend's garage 40 miles out of town. Burn up $40 in gas and two hours round trip to get $16 worth of welding rod? Well, I need some other things anyway so I guess I'll head out there soon.

To make everything just so nice and peachy, I was finishing up the new holes for the WCC badge on the neck (the original ones had been welded closed) and broke the tap in the first one... Fucking shit IRWIN tap from Lowes... didn't even feel any resistance, I was 3/4 through and it seemed to be threading fine and it just popped off. FML.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'm losing sleep over this broken tap in my neck. Plan is to blow it out with a Plasma cutter, drill 5/16 and then weld in a 5/16 slug, grind smooth, punch and re-drill for #8-32 tap... Sounds like the best plan but it still worries me. I know the Plasma is the best option to blow a small, clean hole that will clear the hardened steel of the #6 tap, but my concern is that if the edges of the hole aren't clean then I risk braeking the tip of the 5/16 drill bit if catches a nasty edge.
If I hadn't ran out Argon, remembered to grap my welding rod tubes, and not broken that tap the frame would be getting dipped in the Nickle bath right now... FML!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2003 CFL in progress. TP 124
Not Ranked     
I know the feeling. Broke off a tap when I was mounting coil. Lube the hole good with WD40. Place a nut on top and weld the nut to the tap. If its lubed good the filler won't bond to anything but the tap.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Tap is broken off flush, nothing to grab... I'm heading out to my buddy's garage this afternoon. Need to pick up some things and I'll do some practice holes on 3/8 plate with the Plasma and see how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2003 CFL in progress. TP 124
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudDiver View Post
Tap is broken off flush, nothing to grab... I'm heading out to my buddy's garage this afternoon. Need to pick up some things and I'll do some practice holes on 3/8 plate with the Plasma and see how it goes.
Same here. Broken flush. Try welding the nut on first. Worked for me.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     
One of the neck badge screws on my build sheared off flush with the neck from age in the process of removing it. Still need to figure out how I can get it out of there.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:48 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL, 113" Ultima
Not Ranked     
Can you not get a straight pick into one of the 4 gaps on the tap? maybe get 2 straight picks and put them in, then try undo it that way?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 AM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 Barefoot Choppa
Not Ranked     
If its not a blind hole you can chisel/punch that tap. They are brittle and will break into small pieces and just fall through the neck. If its a blind hole your best option would be to use a carbide drill....which is also brittle.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Choppa View Post
If its not a blind hole you can chisel/punch that tap. They are brittle and will break into small pieces and just fall through the neck. If its a blind hole your best option would be to use a carbide drill....which is also brittle.
It wasn't blind, just #6-32 tap into the neck. I tried the punch, but ended up breaking the punch, leaving the tip covering the tap.

Anyway, I ended up using a Plasma Cutter to blow it through. The hole wasn't as neat as my practice holes, but it was about 3/16. It worked out, I was able to drill it out clean to 5/16 and weld in a slug, smoothed it out and then re-drilled and tapped to #8-32.

Now I'm shopping for my own Plasma Cutter Great tool to have in the shop.

I'll post pics later... been super busy with the bike.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I haven't gotten around to down-loading all my pics from my phone... sorry.

Story so far; I got done with the finish welding last night, frame is pretty much ready to go to plating. The shop is closed on Friday so I wanted to get it there today and was trying real hard to do so. In the end I decided to wait till Monday because I don't think the weekend will make a difference and gives me the chance to look over the frame in the daylight and really see if everything id good to go. Also, I want to plan out some electrical runs and mock up my fwd controls if I finally get those Fab Kevin adapter plates. I think its best I take my time.

I need to do some small finishing details on the tank and fender and then those will go to electroless nickel tomorrow. Also taking apart the Springer to go to Powder-coat. My Motor parts will come back from Polish Friday and I will take it all back to Mark for assymbly with fresh top-end gaskets Monday. If all goes well I should have everything back late next week and begin final assymbly.

On a sad note, half way through my finish welding my new TIG torch fell off welding table while I was moving the frame and the Pyrex cup craked. Damn, that thing was fantastic... and at $20 not cheap for a small piece of glass. So I had to about half the finish welding without it, but damn... while I was using it I can say they are worth every penny!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Well, being ready for Bike Wekk in AZ may be off the table. I dropped off the frame for nickel plating this morning and there is about a snowball's chance in the Phoenix Summer Sun that it will be ready by the end of the week. Shit, I really needed this weekend to get everything back together. Motor is polished and will be ready Friday. Tank and fender should be back from Electroless Nickel Wednesday and body/primer by Saturday... My plan was to truck it back to San Diego on the 29th for registration. It WAS my plan anyway, haha.
Well, back to the calendar... it might be possible. The Duacti may have to give up her plate for a weekend in April!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:13 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Checked on the Nickel plating today, going smoothly but still wont be done till next week. Powder coating on springer and small parts is done, picking up tomorrow.

Here are some pics I have neglected to post over the past few weeks, teasers i guess;

Parts of my 2-into-1 exhaust, Ledbetter Choppers is working on my headers right now;
Old 03-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Sneak peek at my fwd controls... Chango Blanco style stock Softail forwards with my own twist, a Brembo rear master (off a Ducati no less).
Don't mind the speed holes on this brake arm, the machine shop screwed the pooch on this and they are doing another one for me correctly this time...