Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > West Coast Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
9 Ultima 113 (100 miles) dumping oil from breather
Last Post: Oldsmobile5798
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 2
Views: 116
WCC Hellbent Pipes (Stainless)
Last Post: DIABOLUS
Replies: 1
Views: 27
Hellion CFL Build.
Last Post: DIABOLUS
Replies: 518
Views: 154,356
Fender grommets
Last Post: muddychops
Replies: 6
Views: 471
Trikes first run
Last Post: Spartacus
Posted On: 10-23-2021
Replies: 9
Views: 2,902
More...
Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
It was a real bitch getting my torch in there... time for a WP9 with a flex head!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Everything went into place pretty well...

Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
When I was tack welding I made sure everything was braced and clamped into place, and I spread my tacks diagonally to disperse heat. With a little technique and a little luck the tag mount didn't twist out of level!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Then I cut out the 'War Bird' (for lack of a better term) shape... by hand, with grinder/cutting wheel, dremel tool, hack saw, and files... what I wouldn't give for a band saw!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Used a paper template to match the two sides... pretty dang close. The pictures don't do it justice... This took 6 hours and whole pack of Camels. I was pretty happy with the final product. Still have to cut an aluminum backing plate, but maybe by then I'll have access to a band saw... I'm sick of my angle grinder!

Last edited by CloudDiver; 03-04-2013 at 07:57 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 08:00 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
On to the next... Set up the spacing while the drive line was still in the bike, then took out the drive-line to tack in the battery tray. This bike didn't have a WCC one, but instead it had a hack job of angle iron. I got a new laser-cut WCC style battery tray from Two Wheel Survivor. BTW, it was a bitch getting that scale off!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
If anyone is wondering what the proper spacing is, FlySoCal said his CFL battery tray was 3/8" from the rear trans support. After using my battery to check spacing to the starter and all that jazz, mine ended up at exactly 3/8" behind the rear trans support... what da ya know?

Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I was going to use motor mount coil brackets on this bike but looked at it long and hard and said "Fuck It, I'm going with my Secret Weapon mount from my last build."
I've never seen this on a WCC bike or any other bike, I came up with this totally on my own. So I guess its my signature thing. "STBC... Soon to be Copied, FUCKERS!"

Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I decided I didn't need the massive bullet bungs that stuck out 1/2 inch to make up for the spacing, that was over-kill on my last bike and the welds were really bad. This time I used the 1/4" x 1 bungs that I was originally going to use last time. The spacing between the coil arm and the bung will be cushioned by 1/4" well nuts for a nice rubber mount effect. I didn't want them on there when I was tack welding because a garage full of burnt rubber in the air smells like shit!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Old 03-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I worked on the tank mounts last. The original position of the old tank was almost correct, but the risers hit the new tank. I had already cut off the rear mounts long ago and it was a damn shame I had to cut off the fronts too... They were straight and level and the welds beautiful. Anyway, the whole tank had to come back about 3/8" to 1/2" from that position to get full handle bar turn.

I got the rear tabs tacked in but I fucked up the fronts by cutting them too short. They were the original tabs I had cut off the frame but I still wanted to re-use them. Now I have to order new tabs because the fronts are about 1.5" long where the rears are a good .6" shorter. I was more pissed that I couldn't finish the fab; I wanted to take the frame home and do the finish welding and have it to the plating shop by the end of the week.

With the rear tabs set I rolled her off the lift to check the full turn arc... Perfect, with about 1/4" spacing between the riser and the tank on the steering stop.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
After I cleaned up my disaster area of a work bay I poked around and fit up the Todd's Cycle Martini Headlight... bitchin

Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
One last look at the roller on the lift. Some time this week or this coming weekend I just have to get the tank mounts done and then it all comes apart for finish welding, cleaning, and off to plating.

Earlier this evening I dropped my engine off at Mark's place. He will be taking the top end down so it can get new gaskets (there was a leak) and I can also get the heads and jugs polished. I'll be polishing up the crank case by hand since it will all still be together. Hopefully in about 2 weeks the shiny, freshened up motor will go back into the freshly nickel plated frame!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 redneck engineering. 1971 xs650
Not Ranked     
Looking good!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006, CFL,124"S&S
Not Ranked     
Cool man, but as far as mill scale, a little heat and a wire wheel take that stuff right off, in no time.