Club Chopper Forums

Club Chopper Forums (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/)
-   West Coast Chopper Builds (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/west-coast-chopper-builds/)
-   -   Race it on Sunday, Sell it on Monday... My 4 up CFL Build (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/west-coast-chopper-builds/97269-race-sunday-sell-monday-my-4-up-cfl-build.html)

CloudDiver 08-16-2012 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifty (Post 1194555)
Im sure it works great but so do 2" coil springs... it will keep the flow of the CFL frame much nicer without the look of the seat floating over the rear fender....

the coil over is the only think I would of changed when I built my CFL.... wish I would of done springs.

Springs have compression, but they have no rebound control. Its what we call (in mountain bike racing) 'Pogo Effect', which can kill the efficiency of pedaling. But we're not talking about bicycles here... On a chopper, in the fork springs or on the seat, hit something hard enough and you will fully compress the springs and they will then launch back in the opposite direction. This why a springer fork is a crappy ride IMO, and you could potentially 'eject' from your seat on the opposite side of a pothole. Honestly tho, I've never ridden a ridged with seat spring, so if you like em', go with that. I like my compression and rebound control on air shocks, the way you can build them and tune them is endless. As far as how high the seat rides... you're looking at it without my ass in it. When I sit on it it will sink to mid stroke, its called pre-load. When it sits parked and I want it to look good with the seat low I have a sneaky little trick up my sleeve to solve that problem...

CloudDiver 08-16-2012 03:06 AM

Got a fair amount of work done tonight, not many pics tho. Did some finish welding on the seat pan, and then made a second seat pan with slightly different geometry (shorter tounge and longer drop) which will put me a little closer to the handle bars. I can't test it out because I've already removed my primary so mid-controls are off the bike. I wanted to get the engine out too but I still haven't gotten my engine stand, maybe tomorrow.
Worked on a couple of other small fab items, I'll reveal those later. Until then, here's a teaser at a 'secret weapon' part. What do you think I will make out of this? I've had this CFL Web Gusset since 2007 maybe. I could sell it on eBay, I'm sure someone would want it for their frame and I might get a pretty penny for it. Fuck that, I'm going to use this for something kick ass on my bike, wait and see.
http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...r/IMG_0979.jpg

CloudDiver 08-17-2012 11:43 AM

Very frustrated right now... Was doing some welding last night and I had some contaminated beads that bubbled, spit, and left nasty holes. I checked my settings, tungsten, gas.... everything was fine. I ran beads on different material and they were fine, so I know there is nothing wrong with the welder or the gas. I ground out the contaminated beads, brushed the shit out them with the SS brush and tried again... still contaminated, poping and spitting. I have no idea what is causing this. Any ideas?

FRANKTHECRANK 08-17-2012 11:58 AM

Dirty metal,.........?

FRANKTHECRANK 08-17-2012 12:04 PM

What are you welding?

CloudDiver 08-17-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRANKTHECRANK (Post 1194798)
What are you welding?

I was finish welding the tongue/back-bone onto the seat pan. I'll get some pictures later. I went to different metal, the inner fender struts and welded a perfect bead there, no problem. Then, in a different area of the same metal it did it again. I ground out the ugly, pin hole ridden areas, cleaned the crap out of them and tried again, still popped, flashed, and spit...

jsp 08-17-2012 07:40 PM

Probably won't help but do you wipe down with acetone?

CloudDiver 08-18-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsp (Post 1194842)
Probably won't help but do you wipe down with acetone?

No, haven't tried that. I have a degreaser/descaler metal cleaner from IMS, phosphoric acid solution I am going to try.

CloudDiver 08-25-2012 01:36 PM

Pretty beat up and discouraged right now... maybe its mostly from being on the road for work all week. I took my fender to a hot rod body shop for dura glass last week. The guy said he didn't want to do it until I could work some more of the issues out with the metal. The side skirts need to be more flat and there is some finish welding I missed. I figured they could handle the welding but he said the metal would still move. They couldn't get to it for a week anyway so I went back to the work bench with it. I got a hammer and dolly set, plus I welded a 1/2 inch thick steel circle to the outside corner of the welding table to work the flat skirts. So far it is working but it is very slow. I'm trying to work gently and not screw up other areas by whacking it too hard.
It just seems like every time I try to fix one thing I screw up something else. I can never leave well enough alone. I would have half the issues I have now if i hadn't tried to weld in that extra lateral internal strut across the top inside arc. I wouldn't even need it if I wasn't so insistent on being able to put on a passenger pad... I was worried about the fender flexing and bending without some extra support across the middle.
Anyway, like I said, the body hammers are working so I'm just going to breath deep and take it one step at a time.

Poop 08-25-2012 01:41 PM

lol, it'll teach you patience, that's for sure! your comment about fixing one thing fucking up another completely resonates with me. i'm pretty sure that if you don't find a way to enjoy the process, it's a hundred times harder.

at least, that's how it was for me. of course, my project dragged on for years, so maybe my advice isn't the best for everyone. ;)

chin up, buttercup!

CloudDiver 08-25-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poop (Post 1195799)
lol, it'll teach you patience, that's for sure! your comment about fixing one thing fucking up another completely resonates with me. i'm pretty sure that if you don't find a way to enjoy the process, it's a hundred times harder.

at least, that's how it was for me. of course, my project dragged on for years, so maybe my advice isn't the best for everyone. ;)

chin up, buttercup!

Much appreciated... I've been going at it slowly today and making good progress. Problem is I keep running out of Argon. The valve on my bottle is screwy I think. I set at 17 CFH and later I look at it while I'm in post-gas and see it pushing 30 CFH! I'm almost out on my second bottle since I got the TIG and don't see that I've really welded that much... pissing me off. I think I'll have the fender sorted out by Sunday night and have it ready for glass. Fingers crossed.

CloudDiver 08-31-2012 04:33 PM

Not declaring Victory... Yet.

I got the rear fender off to the Hot-Rod shop for body glass 2 days ago. Sorry no pics before it left but it really didn't look any different. The sides are flatter and I took some flat spots out where it should have been round, and finish welded the strut mounting tabs. None of that except the strut tabs would really show well in pictures, so I'll just post what the finished fender looks like coming back from the body shop.
I have a bunch of work to do over the holiday weekend. I want to be ready to bring it all to Hot Dog on the 8th of Sept at the Kustom Kulture festival in San Diego. Mounting the volt regulator under the tranny plate, mounting the mini coils behind the frame cross member, right under rear motor mount. Finish welding all the bungs (after one last test fit with the finished rear fender), weld the kick stand mount with stainless filler rod. Finish weld the seat pans, yes, that was plural, set pans as in 2 of them. Lots to do, basically a week left!

CloudDiver 09-05-2012 06:13 PM

Victory is at hand, I can taste it...

I got my fender back from the hot rod shop today... Dura-Glass, smoothed, and primed ready for blocking. It looks amazing. I also finished the frame last night, last tabs welded in were for the Fan Kevin double shot light and horizontal plate mount. So that's it, Fab is done!
Packing up all the small parts in foam and into the large Pelican case tonight. The frame, front fender, seat pans, and a few small steel bits go to sand blast in the morning. Everything in the truck on friday and off to my casa in San Diego. Meeting Hot Dog at the Kustom Kulture show in Old Town on Saturday. I'm not sure how long he'll take with the paint, but I don't mind him taking his time, I need some sleep!

Pictures to follow tonight, I gotta get this garage sorted out before my roommate pitches a hissy fit again like he did last night...

dbshea 09-06-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudDiver (Post 1196982)

Pictures to follow tonight, I gotta get this garage sorted out before my roommate pitches a hissy fit again like he did last night...

I've seen "post pics of your shop" threads but I think a "post pics of your shop AFTER you are done wrenching" pics are way funnier. I don't know how but it seems like every tool I own comes out. The wife wouldn't even walk thru the garage during my build.
Looking forward to your paint pics!

Poop 09-06-2012 07:27 AM

congratulations! all in all... that was pretty fast. i'm excited to see the finished project, the secret weapons, and a picture of your roommate's black eye if he doesn't shut his hot dog hole.