Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > West Coast Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: axeychrome
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 28
Views: 1,216
10 My First Build... an 06 CFL 2Up 2Out
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 25
Views: 690
Teardrop Gas Tank Replacement
Last Post: R1_4Life
Posted On: 10-22-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 45
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 10-21-2020
Replies: 41
Views: 1,759
New CFL acquisition...
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: 10-18-2020
Replies: 3
Views: 308
More...
Old 08-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Now that I got those perfect razor sharp lines on the fender skirts, I am going to go ahead and ruin them with the TIG welder...

You may think I'm crazy but this had to be done to fuse the sheet metal with the inner fender struts. I had to carefully dial in the amps and use a larger (3/16) filler rod to build up a little material. This will allow me to round off the edge.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I did a few passes with the flap disc to smooth the welds i just did, and put everything back on the frame to check. I set up the web struts to check the shape where they meet the fender, a tight match is important here. I noticed (a while ago) that the struts aren't exactly the same size. So instead of continuing to take metal off the fender skirt I quickly concluded that I had plenty of aluminum that I could remove from the struts to tighten the fit. Yes, I ruined the black powder coat but it was stupid of me to powder coat them in the first place thinking they would fit without shaping.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
With everything cleaned up and shaped to fit I was able to weld on the bungs and tabs on the inside of the struts. I had also did some fine work with the flap disc to get the tight radius back but keep a rounded edge where I added the filler. There is still some tiny under-cuts here and there, but that will be filled with dura-glass. I also replaced the bung on the right side that had to be moved a little up. If you can see the marks on the axle you'll notice I have the wheel in the forward position where the axle will be with a new non-stretched chain. This just shows that the radius still looks as good 7mm foreword of center where I designed the radius to fit. The fender does not rub in the front there either. It does rub when its jammed all the way forward which is where you have to be to roll the chain onto the sprocket.

Last edited by CloudDiver; 08-13-2012 at 09:57 PM..
Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Here is the rear view... that's a 1/2" gap. I know some guys go as tight as 1/4 inch, but this is safe and I like it.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
This little fucker ran into the garage while I was working... I picked my water bottle at him in a spiral Joe Montana style. I can't remember the last time I've ran into a spider this big, I thought it was a scorpion when I saw it run across the garage floor.

Last edited by CloudDiver; 08-13-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
This is probably the last pic of the roller until it comes back from paint. At this point i can take the motor and tranny out as soon as I get my engine stand. I have some finish welding to do on the rear fender and I'll check the radius with the template and make sure it is ready for body-filler. When I get the motor out I'll drill the holes for the electrical runs and do the finish welding on all the frame bungs.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:27 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL, 113" Ultima
Not Ranked     
Lookin good man, you seat is a fair way back yeah?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:59 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 CFL
Not Ranked     
Freeze the spider in epoxy and glue him to the strut.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom metric chopper
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudDiver View Post
So this past Friday I took the roller out of my storage garage and brought it just down the road to my house in Phoenix for Mad Fab Weekend... I'll continue there later. Right now its 5:20 am and I need coffee...
(Photo omitted to save space)
Did you make sure the rear wheel is centered in the frame before lining up that chain?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
Did you make sure the rear wheel is centered in the frame before lining up that chain?
Yes, that was the first step in the build after the engine, trams, and primary were installed. I had another thread about chain alignment and stretch before I started this build thread, links are in my earlier posts.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Rippin' LOVE 63 pan
Not Ranked     
befor you paint... reconsider that bung king shock..... nooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Looks like a camel spider, I didn't know they lived in SD. Crazy shit. Nice bike too!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:42 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty View Post
befor you paint... reconsider that bung king shock..... nooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Really? Not sure why not... The shock is a Fox, very tunable and I can change it out for any other shock I like. I used to race mountain bikes (over 15 years ago). Air shocks were cutting edge technology only factory teams had back then, today they are common place.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlightnbs View Post
Looks like a camel spider, I didn't know they lived in SD. Crazy shit. Nice bike too!
I actually live in Phoenix, AZ for work. I refuse to change my location (also on Facebook) because this is temporary... I'll get home soon.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:19 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Rippin' LOVE 63 pan
Not Ranked     
Im sure it works great but so do 2" coil springs... it will keep the flow of the CFL frame much nicer without the look of the seat floating over the rear fender....

the coil over is the only think I would of changed when I built my CFL.... wish I would of done springs.