Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > West Coast Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Wire Plus WP143 - Turn Signal Cancel Module
Last Post: iwata
Posted On: Today
Replies: 2
Views: 1,574
Hello
Last Post: Poop
Posted On: Today
Replies: 2
Views: 37
New bobber needs more oil
Last Post: golfish
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 15
Views: 238
Jay Brake FWD Controls
Last Post: PCS2011
Posted On: 07-18-2017
Replies: 0
Views: 40
Bdl clutch hub / trans help
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 07-18-2017
Replies: 8
Views: 88
More...
Old 07-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
And tacked up again...

I also forgot to take pics when I finished it but you get the idea. I filled the slices back in and smoothed it all out (another good 3 hours into the fender). I put the fender back on, wheel back on, and shifted the bung back about 3/8". Luckily the bolt was short enough to go back in from the inside with the wheel on so I was able to easily thread the bung onto it so I could accurately tack it into place.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Here is another 'secret weapon' part I am working on... Check out my make-shift band saw, a porta-band clamped into the bench vice! I take no credit for this idea but it is effective and free is much better than buying a band saw you have no room for anyway.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
And now the Heavy Artillery...

Three things prompted this next acquisition...
1. Working on that above noted secret weapon part, it is aluminum which I don't have the equipment to weld.
2. While I was doing the 2nd round of slices on the fender I though it would be good to demonstrate how much better it would be to TIG the slices closed rather than MIG and do hours of clean up and smoothing...
3. I've been to a few places in Phoenix to see about getting the finish welding done on the bike when i am finished fab'ing all the parts and they always say the same thing... "Oh yeah, bring it by when you're ready but we probably won't get to it for 2 or 3 weeks..." (@ 65 to $80 per hour)

So... I found an old ad on CraigsList for this, figured it was sold by now but got lucky and talked hime down just a bit on the price. Brought it home today (minus a chunk of my wallet) and now I'm fairly happy I'll be doing ALL of my own work on this bike.

My roommate Adam, who you have seen helping me with the torch in previous pics, is a professional welder although he doesn't TIG at work very much. A good buddy of his is a welder at ALLIED and TIGs a lot, so we are grabbing some beers and a bunch of scrap cut offs and all getting together to test out the new rig and polish up our skills. I'll post pics of my best beads for some feedback and advice before I start any work on the CFL frame.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Requested by Nelster...

Here are some more detailed pics of the seat shock linkage from Bung King as requested by Nelster.

I know in this above pic it looks like the top cross bar, or the oil tank itself is not square... The top cross bar is square for sure, I tacked it with great care measuring twice and checking with a combination square. The oil tank is square too, but the spun sides actually tapper in slightly so the angle I'm standing over the bike and awkwardly holding my camera phone is making a visual trick that looks pretty whack.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
For shits and giggles, here's a pic I took with Instagram...

Old 07-29-2012, 04:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hopefully I'll make more progress this week...
Getting my wire harness from Scooters (thanks John) in the mail.
I should also have the final MotoGadget electrical components to start the dry run of the electrical system plus drill the frame holes to route everything.
Waiting on the spacers for the front fender to get that mounted up.
Steve is re-working a couple parts for my mid-controls, we needed to shorten a few things because I'm running the Slimline belt drive. (plus he accidentally sent me a rear master cylinder for the foreword controls instead of the opposite facing unit for mid-controls, oops).
I should be getting my front wheel (hopefully the right size this time) and brakes from PM.
Also, the last bits I need for my various 'secret weapon' parts.

At this point I could actually pull the motor, primary and trans out of the frame since the driveline has been set up for several weeks... i'm just waiting on the mid-control components back from KD Engineering because I'd like to test fit them again before I break the roller down.

It should be a busy week! The good news is one of roommates moved out so there has been free space in the garage since then. Until we get someone else in the house I don't have to keep shifting the roller off to the side or take it back to my storage unit. Hopefully (knock on wood) I'll have all the fab done and the roller broken down before anyone new moves in and needs to use the parking spot!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03 BMC w/ S&S 124; 75 Honda chop
Not Ranked     
great work! love reading this thread. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Power Supply Issues

Now I have a problem with the power to the welder. The Miller Econo TIG is a 230 V, 60HZ Single phase (your basic 3 prong heavy duty plug like on most clothes driers, older ones that is). The power in the wall outlet in the laundry room which is right inside the garage door is a 4 prong, you know the funny L shape prong (neutral) an U shape ground, and two blades of hot (red and black wires on the inside)... so a 3 phase outlet. Two 30 amp breakers, one for each hot. I was setting up a 20 ft whip when I realized my folly.
So, I'll post this question in the general forum as well since there are plenty of welders here and I'm sure a few qualified electricians... How do can I, if at all, set up the wall outlet and go from 3 phase back to single phase? A combiner box? Change to 50 amp breakers?
If I can't figure this out I'll have to rent a big genny to run the TIG. I posted another thread with this issue in Shop talk, see it here; Power for 230V miller TIG welder

Last edited by CloudDiver; 07-29-2012 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: add link
Old 07-31-2012, 09:44 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2011 CBR600RR/building cfl
Send a message via MSN to Nelster
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudDiver View Post
Three things prompted this next acquisition...
1. Working on that above noted secret weapon part, it is aluminum which I don't have the equipment to weld.
2. While I was doing the 2nd round of slices on the fender I though it would be good to demonstrate how much better it would be to TIG the slices closed rather than MIG and do hours of clean up and smoothing...
3. I've been to a few places in Phoenix to see about getting the finish welding done on the bike when i am finished fab'ing all the parts and they always say the same thing... "Oh yeah, bring it by when you're ready but we probably won't get to it for 2 or 3 weeks..." (@ 65 to $80 per hour)

So... I found an old ad on CraigsList for this, figured it was sold by now but got lucky and talked hime down just a bit on the price. Brought it home today (minus a chunk of my wallet) and now I'm fairly happy I'll be doing ALL of my own work on this bike.

My roommate Adam, who you have seen helping me with the torch in previous pics, is a professional welder although he doesn't TIG at work very much. A good buddy of his is a welder at ALLIED and TIGs a lot, so we are grabbing some beers and a bunch of scrap cut offs and all getting together to test out the new rig and polish up our skills. I'll post pics of my best beads for some feedback and advice before I start any work on the CFL frame.
Is it an ac/dc so you can weld your aluminum?
Old 07-31-2012, 11:41 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelster View Post
Is it an ac/dc so you can weld your aluminum?
Yup, AC/DC... a pretty capable machine. I picked up about 15-20 pounds of scrap aluminum and steel to start practicing on. I have 3 pounds of steel rod but haven't bought any aluminum rod yet. We already have a bottle of gas in the garage for the MIG but we had to set up the TIG in a different place because of the 240V outlet location, which got installed today. So I'm going to get a bottle of gas tomorrow maybe but I'll need a separate bottle for aluminum because it will be a different gas, 90/10 or maybe 100% argon... The TIG practice will keep me busy while I'm still waiting on a few parts. My hand controls won't be here for about two weeks (ISR from Sweden), so there is no point in dry running the electrical without them (they have integrated buttons for start, kill, horn, and hi/lo headlight switch). I have my wire harness from Scooters but still need a few other electrical items in addition to the hand controls, plus I keep forgetting to look for a good horn.
Anybody have a good suggestion on a horn that don't sound sissy and a good mounting place?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:52 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
you got a link for the isr i can't find any with integrated buttons love to see what they look like
found this

Last edited by Nelster; 08-01-2012 at 03:57 AM..
Old 08-01-2012, 04:00 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
man there the nicest ones with buttons i've seen .. and there bad ass to the look great
Old 08-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Isr is sweet looking stuff!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Your bike is looking great man! Its cool to see it come together, after all the hard ship you went through to get this build going!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Rippin' LOVE 63 pan
Not Ranked     
wow nice job man.... everything looks great! lots of time put in for sure.
I am not a big fan of the bungking floating hover seat. I put a chopper shock on mine and in the end wish I would of ran with 4$ coils. rode well but did not look very good. I am running the cheap coils on my rigid pan now and it rides better than the 100$ chopper shox

butt then again opinions are like assholes eh?

nice chop cant wait to see er finished