Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > West Coast Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
10 My First Build... an 06 CFL 2Up 2Out
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: Today
Replies: 26
Views: 721
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: axeychrome
Posted On: 10-23-2020
Replies: 28
Views: 1,264
Teardrop Gas Tank Replacement
Last Post: R1_4Life
Posted On: 10-22-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 58
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 10-21-2020
Replies: 41
Views: 1,779
New CFL acquisition...
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: 10-18-2020
Replies: 3
Views: 316
More...
Old 10-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The so-called "friend" I lent my axle to for welding ended up dropping out of class. Tried reaching him by phone, facebook, and going over to the weld shop every day on the off chance he showed up. Took off with the axle I had to source used for $65. Couldn't get in touch with the fucker so I made my own new axle (threaded rod and lobes). Nice having machinery to do this sort of thing, but I still need my new axle welded up.

Finally the last item I had time to make in machine class:

Wasn't allowed on the CNC toward the end of the semester so I had to crank this one out by hand. Made it as small and compact as possible while still "legally" displaying all tag numbers. Tried filing it down to have smooth radii but it's rougher than I would like. Could have made this in one day on the CNC. Oh well.

Will be mounting this one off my Primo so it's harder for the traffic cameras to catch my tag. Need to weld some roundbar and bungs to the backside. Not sure if I'm still running the skull krommets.

07.24.13 - Transmission top cover gasket for when I open the tranny up to drain all oil and install my hydraulic clutch. Pulled the studs to trace the source of my tranny leak and it turns out all the studs are threaded blind. So my leak is probably coming from my trap door cover. Hopefully the thicker oil I bought recently will not leak nearly as much. Preferably not at all.

07.24.13 - Twisted Choppers fender:

Will probably be cutting this one up skinny (removing most of the sidewalls) and mounting it with tabs like on Dominator frames. Want to do something a little different from the norm.

07.25.13 - HD OEM pegs to replace my billet knurled passenger pegs. Will cut the mounts off and thread them internally for a clean mounting scheme.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I have an axle
Old 10-18-2013, 08:15 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
08.01.13 - Purchased new brake pads for the 4-pad calipers. Bought some new banjo bolts. There was only one banjo bolt included with the calipers, and it was for a double-line setup so I had to guess at the length needed for a single line setup. Sure enough they ended up being 2mm too long, so will have to order slightly shorter bolts.

08.06.13 - Bought a set of generic steel tabs for mounting my fender, but they ended up being too wide. Need something more along the lines of the WCC tabs, but the only ones I can find available are from Boosted Brad and I'm not fond of their profile.

08.13.13 - Caliper bracket...still need to source the caliper mounting bolts. I'm not good with metric bolts, but Brembo banjo bolts seem to be M10-1.0 pitch, while the fork-to-bracket bolts are a coarser M10-1.5 pitch. The caliper mounting holes themselves seem to be a different pitch.

To run a 4-pad Brembo on a narrow glide wheel I have to use a 12.6" rotor. Hoping the caliper-to-spoke interference isn't too much. I know this is possible because the Creampuff Dominator runs a 39mm/21" spoke/Brembo 4-pad setup.

08.21.13 - Found a set of tabs in the style I like by Pure Kustom Inc. Ordered enough tabs for my fender, seat and exhaust. Just waiting for them to come in the mail.

08.24.13 - Found my caliper mounting bolts, they are M10-1.25, which apparently is a very uncommon size.

I don't have a corresponding pic, but as I expected, there is still some rubbing between the spokes and the backside of the caliper. I will have to carefully remove a bit of material without trashing the caliper.

Got my Spyke starter installed. Glad to see it clears the oil tank easily.

The bung you see on the transmission end cover will be where my exhaust will be supported from. Still not sure what kind of pipes I'm running...

Motor mount detail.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
09.08.13 - B'Cool fender popped up on ebay. Twisted Choppers fender is the upper fender in pic for comparison.

This makes me reevaluate how I'm mounting my fender. I couldn't let the B'Cool just go, but I like the idea of cutting up a fender for a skinny look. So the easy solution is to run both fenders. I will set the bike up initially with the B'Cool fender and typical bullet bung mounts. Then I will drill the Twisted Choppers fender to mount to those same bungs. Then I will cut away the extra material on that fender, leaving me with two fenders that I can swap back and forth between.

Since the Twisted fender will logically be weaker when mounted, I will support it with fender struts coming off the axle block for an old-school look. Then remove the struts and swap the fender with the B'Cool for a more traditional WCC look. Best of both worlds.

B'Cool fender has a slightly larger radius compared to the Twisted fender:

And the welds are top-notch in comparison:

Old 10-20-2013, 06:58 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Found a set of mid controls that will really set my bike apart but they were on backorder. Since I won't have to run the forwards I can switch back to the broomstick bars. This time around, however, I won't be selling my forwards. I'm growing more attached to the idea of having a bike that I can easily reconfigure by swapping out a few parts. Like having two or three bikes in one. A lot cheaper and easier than building a whole other damn bike.

In the pictures you can see a mockup shift rod and 12.6" aluminum disc I used to mock up the front disc rotor. Forgot that I made those in class. Speaking of class, started a new semester back in August. Taking welding again. My third attempt at it.

Eight years ago I was living in Atlanta and I took a semester of welding up there. They started me on oxyacetylene welding with no filler rod. The equipment was all half-broken and shoddy. The torches were constantly spitting and popping, and students would frequently take other student's torches apart to put together a semi decent setup for themselves. A few months of that and zero progress and I called it quits.

Fast forward to two years ago and I decided to give it another shot. This time the school was here in Florida and they started me on stick welding. Went in once again wanting to take the full course. Long story short, I'm a shitty stick welder. Zero motivation because I'm not looking to be lying in a dirty ditch somewhere welding pipe or welding up some I-beams on a construction site. I just want to built bikes which is all TIG (well, MIG too, technically, but I just wanted to learn TIG). I gave it a full semester and at the end of it felt I wasn't moving along at a pace I would have liked. Decided to give machining a shot next semester.

The following semester I took machining and fell in love with it. Found my niche and took off with it. Three semesters later I have all my machining certifications. Back in welding for one last semester but this time I'm not fucking around. I'm jumping straight into TIG and spending the full semester on it (16 weeks) instead of the 6 weeks the program typically calls for. I expect to be fairly competent at it by the end of this year.

Will be posting pics of my welds soon...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2013, 07:54 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Keep it coming
Old 10-20-2013, 08:54 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Big Dollar CFL
Not Ranked     
very cool. The fact that you're making some of your own parts makes it even cooler.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:05 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Finally got around to using the tranny mainshaft socket I bought a long ways ago to remove the ugly pulley. Impact wrench, left-handed threads and it came out with no trouble whatsoever.

Installed the sprocket, when I noticed the locknut for the mainshaft had too large of an OD to sit in the recess of the sprocket. I thought maybe I just needed to flip the locknut on the shaft like in the picture below so the majority of the locknut's length sat in the sprocket recess:

I then figured if I install longer bolts to fix the locknut to the sprocket I would be good to go. Sure enough, when I go to reinstall my primary motor plate, the primary plate will not bolt all the way up to the transmission mounting surface. The heads of the locknut bolts prevent it, which tells me my setup is wrong.

Do I need to purchase a different part? Any recommended brand or sources? Thanks for any and all input.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Yep wrong lock ring. You need a big nut with a lock ring around it.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Found this on ebay...

Bikers Choice Transmission Lock Nut Plate Kit for Harley | eBay

Is this all I need? Or is there a more complete kit elsewhere? Looking to get something quality, don't know if $23 is too "cheap" or not...thanks again jsp.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Yep that's what u need
Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Is your tans sprocket off-set spacer back there? Can't tell from the pics but it doesn't look like it. I've never even seen a locking plate like that.

On another note, I used the Twisted Choppers rear fender on the CFL I have finished. I liked the strength of the 13 ga. steel. I bobbed it off at about 1 o'clock from vertical. I trimmed the skirts to about .75 inch of flat steel using a template I razor cut from illustration board, cut the steel with an abrasive wheel and shaped the radius with my flap disc. I had done this before a few times and have a pretty steady hand so the radius lines up with the sidewall of tire really tight. See my build thread for detailed pics. The only thing i didn't like about the Twisted Choppers fender is that the the profile is kind of 'square'. If you like how the B'Cool looks then go with that, I'm willing to bet its more round. I corrected that squareness with a little body work, but that was done at a shop so I never saw how much body filler went on since I got it back in primer.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Cloud, I don't have a spacer of any kind on the mainshaft in the pic. Just the sprocket slid onto the shaft splines as far as it will go. The locking plate in the pic is what was originally holding the pulley in place. Until I get my rear wheel bearings sorted out and my wheel centered for good I won't know what kind of spacer, if any, I will need on the trans sprocket. My wheel sprocket is spaced out to the same spec as shop wheels, so I'm hoping that between that and the offset already built into the front sprocket, I won't need any further spacing. Got my fingers crossed, at any rate.

09.22.13 - Frisco mid controls by Main Drive Cycle. Haven't seen one of these on a CFL yet!

Big props to Cory at Main Drive for selling me the kit minus the parts I didn't need. Parts are high quality and documentation is top notch. Apparently Harley won't sell the rubber footpegs to small businesses anymore so I have to source them myself. Not a huge deal. Only issue, which I failed to realize, is that the peg rubbers are actually kickstart peg rubbers. I can buy an extra pair, drill and tap some roundstock, and make a set of matching passenger pegs. This means I won't be using my OEM passenger pegs anymore. I thought this far along I was past the point of wasting money on wrong parts, but at least it was only $20 shipped.

One other issue I will need to sort out:

Because of the CFL frame's offset, my pegs are also offset to the left. Just a matter of cutting off the mounting tab and fabbing a new one with bolt holes offset correspondingly.

The kit is designed for use with a 4-speed tranny and Softail-style master cylinder. I ordered my kit without the 4-speed shift linkage so I can run a normal shift rod with heim joints. I will also be fabbing a new master cylinder bracket that will mount to my 6-speed tranny, and use the 13mm Brembo master cylinder and reservoir I purchased a long time ago.

Until I have my engine, and the frisco pegs mounted center to the frame, I can't measure for shift rod length, begin to fab the master cylinder bracket, or measure for a bunch of bolts and spacers. I'm getting down to the last few parts I can safely buy before purchasing my engine. Kind of a bittersweet thing. I know I'm getting closer to the mockup and fab stage of the build, but I also know I got an expensive purchase coming too...

Almost forgot, high mids feel fantastic on the frame. Really aggressive riding position with the broomstick bars.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL, 113" Ultima
Not Ranked     
Cool! possible to get a pic with you sitting with the mids?
Old 10-23-2013, 04:29 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiechop View Post
Cool! possible to get a pic with you sitting with the mids?
Unfortunately no, around this time the missus decided she needed space to do some scrapbooking and a large portable folding table just wouldn't do. So I had to set up a full-size desk in the living room and partially disassemble my bike to make room for her things. So both wheels and rear fender are no longer on bike. If circumstances change I'll try and snag a pic. Suffice it to say I'm 5'7, 125 lbs, and wear 28" long pants, so I'm a small guy. Taller people would probably not find it as comfortable a riding position. But I don't feel scrunched up by any means.