Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > West Coast Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Need help all around.
Last Post: magnum45pete
Posted On: Today
Replies: 1
Views: 23
Spade belt guard work with BDL TF2000?
Last Post: Damraider
Posted On: Today
Replies: 4
Views: 141
shift linkage
Last Post: rem hamilton
Posted On: 12-10-2017
Replies: 2
Views: 120
Brake Lines
Last Post: caymanchris
Replies: 6
Views: 973
Who makes a Hydraulic Twist clutch setup?
Last Post: slytat666
Replies: 10
Views: 1,387
More...
Old 10-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Measuring for my axle spacers...centered the laser on the valve stem, and double checked the distance between the wheel lips and the frame rails. Compensated for the extra offset for chain clearance.

Got the rear tire mounted...quick mockup with the gas tank.

These are the last of the crappy quality photos.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2000 fxdx
Not Ranked     
Looking good, coming together nicely!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
02.10.13 - Ordered another pile of bungs, bolts, and steel stock to fabricate a bunch of little pats on the bike. I try to only order bolts when I can place a large order to save on shipping.

02.27.13 - Scored a Primo Brute IV. I was SO close to settling for a BDL (literally was about to place my order) when a lightly used Primo popped up on ebay.

And since you guys like em so much, mockup pics...

Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Made some progress in my machining classes and started getting into CNC. Decided to try my hand at making a set of triple trees. The plastic scrap I had lying around was material that had been donated so it already had holes and markings in it.

Half-scale narrowglide triple tree: Drew up the model in Solidworks and generated code for it. Ported it to a desktop CNC mill and cut it out of the plastic.

Perfected the code in half-scale and tried porting it to our full-size CNC mill, a 20+ year-old POS. Found out the machines interpret coordinates differently, and had to rewrite the program completely.

Instructor asked me to mill the upper side of the triple tree, and had to write a new, shorter program that altered the tool paths. Had to clamp the rear half of the tree (as mounted on the bike) while the front half was machined, relocate the clamps to the front, and have the program finish machining the rear. Crashed the machine once or twice while I altered the toolpaths to move around the clamps. All in all was a bitch but I got it done. Curved cut on the top surface and randomly placed holes were already on the stock to begin with:

Satisfied that I "could" make triple trees if I wanted, I decided to forgo cutting a set out of aluminum. The only kind of trees I would actually want to make are 3-degree narrow trees similar to WCC units, but our mill does not have 4-axis capability so it would be extremely difficult to work out.

I decided instead to make a part I didn't already have on the bike; my rear caliper bracket. Modeled the bracket again in Solidworks and cut a prototype out of plastic:

Since I didn't want the bracket to be cut out of an entire block of aluminum, I made a fixture plate and bolted the aluminum stock to it. The mill would cut the piece of stock and slightly into the fixture plate, and I could unbolt the bracket afterward. Was having problems with the toolchanger so I had to do the entire program with a 1/4" cutter. Also had to slow the program down considerably since I was no longer cutting the soft plastic. Program ran well but discovered my coordinate origin was slightly off, shifting my bolt holes and axle hole center:

Old 10-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Reworked the program slightly and adjusted the workpiece origin. Cut a new piece of stock on the fixture and polished the machining marks out:

Tried to mount the Brembo caliper to the bracket and found the brake pad hit it in two places: I miscalculated the minimum arc diameter allowable. So I machined two recesses on the backside where it would not be noticeable:

Final mockup:

You can see here where the brake pad just clears the bracket:

Overall I'm pretty happy with the design but I wish I had located the bolt hole for the anchor rod closer to the caliper bolt hole. I don't know how much leverage the caliper will put on the rod but the bracket would take too long to redesign and I had very little time left in my machining class and one last project I wanted to tackle...
Old 10-09-2013, 06:24 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL, 113" Ultima
Not Ranked     
fuck yeah! Is the CNC hard to use? is it alot of mathematics or what? never used one before.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Nice work!
Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks guys. Writing code for CNC looks intimidating at first but once you understand the principles it is relatively straightforward. X, Y, and Z coordinates define points in 3-D space. Then there's a bunch of letter codes that dictate machine actions. G-codes regulate X-Y movement of the table and Z movement of the spindle. F-codes define feed rate, S-codes define spindle speed, and M-codes control machine functions (coolant on/off, spindle on/off, etc.) You just have to figure out what you want the machine to do, then write out the appropriate codes for it observing proper formats the machine can understand.

I wish I had regular access to a modern Haas mill. I'd be cranking out batches of wicked parts all day long. One day I'll get there...
Old 10-10-2013, 04:28 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL, 113" Ultima
Not Ranked     
Cool man thanks for the insight. It would be one of those things that once you make something you'd feel so accomplished.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 08 rocker C, 05 cfl, 01 sportster chop
Not Ranked     
access to say a HAAS super mini mill or a TL1 toolroom lathe???? Just asking as thats what I use to make
my springer parts.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'm more of a mill-oriented guy myself (though I can and have done plenty of manual and CNC work on lathes). I've had my eye on the VF-3 mill in particular. If I could find work in a shop that had that machine and could teach me Mastercam I would be set.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
03.05.13 - New Timken bearings for the rear wheel. Now have the last of the parts I need to do the bearing job on the rear. Thinking I will just take both wheels to the stealership and have them serviced. The bearing tool I bought for the front wheel can't install the bearings without it wanting to go in crooked.

Also trashed my rear axle. Was mocking up my rear end; wheel, axle, spacers and caliper bracket. Installed the axle properly, and started torquing the bolt down. It wasn't torquing right, and when I looked at the opposite side, I realized the welded-on lobe had shifted out of its slot and rotated. When I torqued the axle I started to bend the lobe at an angle. Royally pissed because I made double sure the axle was properly seated before torquing. At least it's something I can fix in class, would just need it welded up.

03.07.13 - Ordered an Ultima starter but there were delays in shipping out the exact model I wanted. So I cancelled my order.

03.13.13 - Though the bike felt good with the broomstick bars and forwards installed, I felt a hair more stretched out than I would have preferred. So I ordered a new set of the same Sporty-style bars I had purchased previously, but in chrome this time. I hacked off and filed the ends to make them as narrow as possible.

Moved into a new (first floor) apartment around this time. Was previously on the third floor. Hauling that frame down two flights was a bitch. Got the new roller going with the new bars. Bike feels a lot more comfortable and laid back.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
03.13.13 - Bought some Red Line heavy shock proof transmission oil after hearing a lot of recommendations.

03.14.13 - WCC VIN plate.

03.17.13 - WCC-style seat pan courtesy of Devon. Still not sure if I'm running a chip seat or a Danny Gray-style seat with the square front. I'll decide once I get closer to the end.

03.28.13 - Wanted to buy a motor mount from Yankee Engineuity (same kind WCC uses), but they are no longer offering these mounts for sale, if they are even still in business. Found a motor mount and a key switch holder on two separate sites and I held my breath that they would work together. They do, but the motor mount has some extra machining that makes it not flow with the key switch holder. The photo of the part I purchased looked different than what I got...so I'll probably switch it out at some point. It's not a high priority right now. Also got a cheap key fob.

04.09.13 - WCC started offering parts for sale again around this time so I snagged a shift rod. Will free up precious time in machining class since I won't have to make one. Just have to figure out how to press in the spherical bearings without fucking up the finish. I know they use heat to expand the opening.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006, CFL,124"S&S
Not Ranked     
Is that vin tag a real printed one or does it have a sticker on the surface that looks like it?
Old 10-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I really dig that you are making some of your own parts, that puts your build at another level. I think you could use your skills to make the type of motor mount you want vs what you can find for sale.

Just a suggestion, since you have forward controls I would go with the chip seat pan and mount it with springs or an air shock. Trust me, the throbbing in my lower back reminds me daily that riding a rigid isn't for everyone. I can't wait to get my other CFL finished that has an air shock seat and Mids to see how much better the ride will be on my back.