Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > West Coast Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
After years of sitting on the side lines...
Last Post: Rickyland
Posted On: Today
Replies: 3
Views: 51
Turn signals
Last Post: gduncan
Posted On: 07-10-2020
Replies: 9
Views: 260
Open Belt Drive for Electric Start Shovel?
Last Post: pushrod243
Posted On: 07-09-2020
Replies: 6
Views: 250
Softail Shovelhead Short Fender Ideas
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 07-08-2020
Replies: 25
Views: 1,019
Show Us Your WCC
Last Post: masterjedifocus
Posted On: 07-08-2020
Replies: 1,017
Views: 524,323
More...
Old 01-28-2016, 12:55 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
12-28.15 - Death Dealer gas tank.

Got this baby in exactly one month to the day from when I ordered it. Came out exactly as expected, top notch craftsmanship. Got a nice little vent tube in it too that lets me use my billet WCC cap. Thanks Sean!

You can see the apartment's looking a little sparse. Been selling off all my furniture and working and saving like a madman. I'm at 90% of what my savings were prior to buying the Softail. Down to three months now before the move. Already found a contact in California, and it looks like I'll be living in Hollywood, right off of Santa Monica Blvd. Going to be doing the roomshare thing, but I don't give a fuck. No girlfriend and no pet to slow me down, so I'm something of a lone wolf.

Got the Vespa back from the body shop, she is even better than new. Doing a quick tuneup and she'll be sale-ready. Though I'll probably wait until after the move to sell it, if I think I can get more money for it out there. Uhaul will be plenty big enough for the Softail, CFL and the Vespa. All my personal shit will be in a few small boxes. Whatever I can't sell and don't want to take with me is getting tossed.

Bikes. Tools. Clothes. Guitar. Laptop. That is all!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2016, 01:27 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
CFL Fender struts

Hi Diabolus

by chance, would you have another pair of web struts to sell ?

tkx

nicolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIABOLUS View Post
05.02.11 - Web struts.

05.02.11 - Inner fender struts.

05.15.11 - HD Softail forwards.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:47 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
What is your plan for paint on this one?

Old 03-13-2016, 01:08 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2up CFL build in progress
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkoweb View Post
Hi Diabolus

by chance, would you have another pair of web struts to sell ?

tkx

nicolas
Member "TWOWHLSIRVIVR" makes these...
Old 03-13-2016, 11:13 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop13 View Post
Member "TWOWHLSIRVIVR" makes these...
Yeah that's who I bought them from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT
What is your plan for paint on this one?
Keeping that one a surprise until it's time to lay the paint down. Not a clone or copy of an existing shop bike, but something that looks like it would have rolled out of the LBC nonetheless.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:26 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006, CFL,124"S&S
Not Ranked     
Should be very interesting!
Old 03-15-2016, 11:29 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Got my truck booked for the first of May. Going to be cutting some 2x4s to make a quick and dirty set of chocks to keep the bikes upright during the 4-day road trip. I was looking at buying a bunch of tie-down straps to hold everything in place, and was looking at these sets:

8 PC Heavy Duty Motorcycle ATV Ratcheting 1"x10' Tie Down Strap Kit Color Black | eBay

8 PC Heavy Duty Motorcycle ATV Cam Lock 1"x12' Tie Down Strap Kit Color Black | eBay

Both sets are identical, except one is the ratcheting style and the other is the cam style. I figure I'll need two sets (for the Softail and Vespa, since the CFL roller is light, on a dolly, and I can surround it with heavy boxes).

Would I be better off getting two sets of the ratcheting style, or one of each (the ratchet style to hold the front ends, the cam style for the rear ends)? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:39 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Having hauled a lot of motorcycles around the country, I personally prefer the ratcheting straps and will not use the cam style unless I absolutely have to.

Good luck on your move and please keep us updated w/ your journey.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:49 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2up CFL build in progress
Not Ranked     
I wouldn't use cam straps! Load em up, ratchet down...ship out broham!
Old 04-10-2016, 02:02 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Little woodworking project I whipped up. Thought about making it a one-way thing and chucking the wood once I get out to Cali but I decided to add a set of hinges in the middle so it collapses on itself and I can reuse it as needed. Thanks for the input on the ratchet straps. Down to just 22 days and counting!

Old 04-30-2016, 02:16 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIABOLUS View Post

Got my truck booked for the first of May.

Got everything ready to roll?

Keep us updated w/ your journey - always enjoy following roadtrip updates.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:42 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This move has already been a nightmare, it technically hasn't even begun yet.

For starters, I DROPPED MY SOFTAIL loading it into the truck!!! You know those hilarious Youtube motorcycle loading fail videos? Yeah, that was me. Damn thing almost landed on its handlebars. That's what happens when you try to load the bike with only one other person. Even after finding an uphill to reduce the ramp angle and all that bullshit.

Lucky for me the bike only landed on its left rear turn signal which is smashed to shit. The very end of the chrome fender strut cover is mangled, and the corner of my fender is scuffed down to the bare metal. I only say this is "lucky" because I was already planning on stripping off the fender strut covers, turn signals, and chopping off the back of the fender to give it a more "bobbed" look. Now I have the perfect excuse I guess.

Then, with the three bikes loaded up, a good 80% of the truck's space was consumed. Just with the bikes! Hadn't anticipated that, even after having measured the dimensions of the bikes, truck, etc. Somehow managed to fit everything around and behind the bikes, and it's only stacked to about knee-height. And mind you, this is with me having gotten rid of all my furniture. I feel like I'm taking more with me than I should (dishes, cleaning supplies, books, papers) so when I get to LA I'm probably just going to chuck a lot of shit into the trash. I don't like to hoard or collect things so I'm pretty minimalist by nature, but loading up all those boxes made me feel like a packrat.

Drove from my (now empty) apartment to my dad's house about two miles away to spend the night. Checked on the bikes and found that the Softail shifted and fell against the CFL which is sandwiched in the middle. Lucky me I had a mattress draped over the CFL as insulation/protection, so no harm done, I hope.

That wood fixture I made for this trip is going in the dumpster when I get to LA. It's holding the Vespa up perfectly fine but the Softail, with its extra weight, ripped the chock out of the wood when the bike tipped over just ten degrees. I don't plan on repeating this Uhaul loading experience again after the loading failure so it's not a huge loss. Only low motorcycle trailers from here on out. Live and learn I suppose.

As far as the trip itself, I anticipate it's going to be four days of driving, with an extra two spent with family members. First stop is Alabama, where my godmother lives. Then Texas with my mom. Then it's sleeping in a truck stop in New Mexico. Then LA the fourth night, and sleeping in the truck again. Then I unload everything the following morning when the storage place opens.

I still don't know where I'm going to be living, but I'll figure it out when I get out there. My focus is just getting all my shit under lock and key first. Don't have any job prospects yet but I'm armed with a sharp-looking resume, references, good looking suit, etc. Going to be scouting the clubs in West Hollywood and hopefully land a job at a club or lounge, and living in a dorm-style apartment to keep my expenses down and bankroll some serious money.

And that's when the real work begins.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2016, 08:10 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No move ever goes smooth and without any issues - that'd be too easy.

I've transported a lot of motorcycles in Uhauls around the Country. I've tried the wheel chocks, skids, etc. The best way I've found from trial and error was to establish your load plan on how/where you want the bikes. Make note where you will need to secure your straps. Then replace bolts holding the aluminum floor to the sub frame w/ heavy duty eyelet's. I use heavy duty washers on both sides of the eyelet bolts to help distribute the weight.

Your load will continue to settle and shift throughout the journey. Make constant stops to check on them. Considering you had an issue after 2 miles, you may want to consider replacing a few of the floor bolts w/ heavy duty eyelet's. I pick them up from Home Depot or Lowe's and always try to find the heaviest ones I can. Sometimes I've had to bore the hole out to run the larger eyelet's through the floor and subframe.

Sounds like a life changing cross-country road trip. Keep your head up and stay positive - it'll be worth it. Please continue to keep us updated. Pics along the way would be cool too!

Old 05-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks for the write-up, SKT. Replacing the floor bolts with eyelets is clever and would have saved me the cost of buying the wood in the first place. I checked the bikes at my first rest stop and found that the Softail turned its fork and wedged itself nice and tight, so I re-tightened the straps and it hasn't budged since. The CFL however shifted at some point and broke its wooden dolly so it's now resting on the motorcycle wheels and not the four casters. It's not really moving otherwise and its straps are still tight, so I'm just keeping an eye on it.

Tomorrow morning I leave Alabama for Texas. Meeting up with an Army buddy in Ft Hood then staying with my mom in Austin...
Old 05-04-2016, 05:16 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006, CFL,124"S&S
Not Ranked     
Have a safe trip man!