Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > West Coast Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Hellion CFL Build.
Last Post: DIABOLUS
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 487
Views: 91,030
Todds Cycle seat pan
Last Post: Miamio96
Replies: 1
Views: 42
New bobber needs more oil
Last Post: golfish
Replies: 16
Views: 286
Wire Plus WP143 - Turn Signal Cancel Module
Last Post: iwata
Replies: 3
Views: 1,607
Hello
Last Post: Poop
Replies: 2
Views: 57
More...
Old 09-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006, CFL,124"S&S
Not Ranked     
Skull mounts are easy!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOWHLSIRVIVR View Post
Skull mounts are easy!
Oh I know. Keep in mind I'm writing all this as though it were currently happening. I've had a skull mount for a long time now.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:10 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I like very much!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 12:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
01.16.12 - Rear Brembo master cylinder. Going to be making my own FTW style mid controls on the cheap.

01.31.12 - OEM Sportster hub for blueprinting. Will base my custom hubs on its dimensions.

02.10.12 - Bought a whole mess of bolts for hubs, rotors and sprocket.

Tried doing some research to figure out what length forks I would need for a 2" up frame with non-raked trees, but as usual, everything that is out there is conflicting. I figure it will be easier for me to assemble the forks from scratch with extra-long tubes, figure out what length gives the best handling, and have them cut down after the bike is running.

02.18.12 - Sportster fork spring kit.

02.25.12 - Fork seal kit.

03.01.12 - Fork drain screws.

Around this time I decided that, in the interests of keeping costs down and finishing the bike quicker, I would run generic wire spoke wheels in the meantime, and have my billet wheels cut later.

03.02.12 - OEM Sportster wheel.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2000 V-star Chopped Hardtail
Not Ranked     
No offence, since I'm curious how it came out, but you should post a pic of where it is now, or a finished pic if it is for those of us that can use google to find pics of parts and want to see what it looks like.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:56 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'm not that far off from what the build currently looks like, so you won't have to wait too much longer. Got some more mockup pics I'll be posting soon.

03.08.12 - WCC points cover. Had been looking for one of these for the longest time and snagged a used one for a great deal. Had no idea Jesse would eventually offer them for sale again.

Another slight shift in the build direction. Decided I didn't want to go for the chrome frame, metal flake blue paint of the Sturgis Special and opted for something lower maintenance. Was considering doing the whole rust look but decided against it since it is played out.

03.13.12 - Traded my black fork legs for raw units as part of the new look.

03.15.12 - Sportster fork damper kit.

03.15.12 - Metzeler 18" 200 tire.

03.24.12 - Bolts for the 6" risers and skull mount I was in the process of designing. Decided on making one similar to the one on the Chango Blanco bike.

03.26.12 - Used generic 8" risers. As part of the new direction, I decided I did in fact want to run the taller risers, for a more dramatic look, and in a raw finish to tie in with the new fork legs. But I didn't want to plunk down big money on WCC risers and risk some jackoff stealing the riser caps with JJ 44 Mag shells. I decided I would make my own 44 mag caps. I don't have a picture of what these risers looked like when I got them, but they had ugly spiked riser caps which I would get rid of, and the same curved contour as the big $$$ WCC risers. $40 used off ebay.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:41 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Time for a little fabrication.

Was taking machining classes around this time and had access to a number of machines including mills, lathes, grinders, and some CNC equipment. Teacher gave me the go-ahead to come up with my own projects, so my first task was to tackle the skull mount.

With the money I spent on the skull, my biggest concern was someone unscrewing it while I was away and making off with it. So I added a second threaded hole underneath to prevent to better secure it.

The rest of the design I based on the Chango Blanco's skull mount. Clea and simple. I considered Doing a Death Dealer or Cisco Dom style mount but this being one of my first projects in class, I decided to keep it simple. The Chango's mount is two pieces welded together and since I have neither access to a welder nor the skills to use it, I made it out of a single block of aluminum.

When I get closer to finishing the bike I will give the corners a nice soft radius and polish it completely. In the meantime on to more important things.

Some mockup pics.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2013, 06:15 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL, 113" Ultima
Not Ranked     
nice! ......
Old 09-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Isn,t that hells angels scull?

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber
Old 09-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Big Dollar CFL
Not Ranked     
Very clean skull mount. Better than mine. I don't suppose you made more than one?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysocal77 View Post
Very clean skull mount. Better than mine. I don't suppose you made more than one?
Thanks for the compliments guys.

I was very pressed for time in class so I barely had time to make the things that I did, and there is a lot fabrication I never even got around to (exhaust and brackets, mostly). If my situation were different I'd definitely be down with making more.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
With the skull mount tackled I moved on to the 44 mag riser caps next. Sliced the pointed ends of the riser caps, turned them down on the lathe and gave it a nice radius. Found that the threaded hole in the cap went deeper than the thickness of the cap, so the hole protruded through completely.

Since I knew I would not be running these caps on the finished build I went ahead and experimented on how to make the bullet chambers and flutes. Screwed the caps onto a block and proceeded to mill the holes. Found that the end mill's cutting teeth would create a chatter that would loosen the cap and cause it to spin. I fixed this by clamping the left side of the cap while milling the right, then mounting the clamp on the right and milling the left. Repeat for the other cap.

Once I felt confident in the machining steps, I turned down fresh stock to the proper dimensions, threaded the cap center, being careful not to completely drill through cap. Installed the caps onto my fixture, milled the bullet chambers, and cut the flutes and center dimple with a ball end mill.

Got a classmate to give me some used 44 mag shells. Will likely replace these with shiny new cartridges. Bullets are a press fit.

Certainly not as fancy as a set of WCC risers, but I got $40 invested in the whole thing and they should look pretty nice once polished up.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Looks great so far! The fact that you milled your own parts makes it even better. With your attention to detail you might consider designing and selling parts.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Here's how I mounted mine.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
That's a good looking mount Fly. Mounts completely to the (flat) top surface and not the front curved face of the triple clamp. If I had that front end that's how I would have gone about it. Kinda like the Death Dealer skull mount on the Diamond triple trees.

Thanks for the compliments on the machining. It's a good feeling making parts yourself and saving money in the process. The parts aren't 1,000% perfect but I'm happy with them.