Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > West Coast Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
I'm Baaaaaaaack...
Last Post: pushrod243
Posted On: 10-25-2020
Replies: 2
Views: 308
10 My First Build... an 06 CFL 2Up 2Out
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: 10-25-2020
Replies: 26
Views: 838
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: axeychrome
Posted On: 10-23-2020
Replies: 28
Views: 1,310
Teardrop Gas Tank Replacement
Last Post: R1_4Life
Posted On: 10-22-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 80
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 10-21-2020
Replies: 41
Views: 1,819
More...
Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't know what the hell is up with these CFL brake tabs. I know Brad sure as shit wouldn't go through the trouble of having a batch of brackets laser cut and made to the wrong spec. I know I'm not the only CFL owner that has run into this either. So now I have one more thing to add to my list of shit that needs fabbing.

I'll probably look to do an El Diablo 2-style setup which uses a threaded bung with a bolt that rides in the slot, if memory serves.

Oh, and one more shot of the bike from the other side since I had it pulled out. What the hell.

Last edited by DIABOLUS; 01-06-2014 at 08:57 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 4inch CFL, 117ci S&S, Baker 6sp
Not Ranked     
I think they just threw those brake tabs on the frame and welded them where they landed... My 2006 frame is the same as are most of that era.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:06 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Nasty Boy "BluePrint" TP 121" Baker 6
Not Ranked     
On my dominator build, JSP cut Brad's bracket to eliminate the part that adjusts on a bung like the Diablo2 mount you mentioned and we are going to use 3/8" heim joint rod ends with a 3/8"stud to connect to the bung on frame right from one of the Brembo caliper bolts - just like the Cisco bike. Check out the Cisco bike and see if you like that better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIABOLUS View Post

I don't know what the hell is up with these CFL brake tabs. I know Brad sure as shit wouldn't go through the trouble of having a batch of brackets laser cut and made to the wrong spec. I know I'm not the only CFL owner that has run into this either. So now I have one more thing to add to my list of shit that needs fabbing.

I'll probably look to do an El Diablo 2-style setup which uses a threaded bung with a bolt that rides in the slot, if memory serves.

Oh, and one more shot of the bike from the other side since I had it pulled out. What the hell.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stretch4drop View Post
On my dominator build, JSP cut Brad's bracket to eliminate the part that adjusts on a bung like the Diablo2 mount you mentioned and we are going to use 3/8" heim joint rod ends with a 3/8"stud to connect to the bung on frame right from one of the Brembo caliper bolts - just like the Cisco bike. Check out the Cisco bike and see if you like that better.
Yeah I always like how they mounted the brake stay on the Cisco Dom. I would probably go for that setup if I hadn't already sold my $50 brake stay. Cheaper for me at this point to just weld a bung on the frame. I'm kinda partial to the hidden setup too, to be honest.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2014, 02:44 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Mocked up my sprocket and chain to take measurements for my sprocket spacer.

I still don't have my sprocket bored out, so the sprocket is resting against the 2000+ style lip with the bolts hand-tightened to flush against the sprocket.

Using a caliper I measured the depth from the outermost surface of the sprocket to the face of the hub. Subtracting the thickness of the sprocket gives me a current offset of approximately 0.297".

Here are closeups of the chain as it passes the tire...

Now the chain comes very close, but I can say with a fair amount of certainty that even with a small amount of side flex, this chain isn't hitting the tire with the sprocket spaced out .297. So should I go for a 5/16" (.3125) sprocket, or a 3/8" (.375) sprocket? We're talking about a difference of .0625 which is very minimal. So 5/16" spacer to keep the chain close, or 3/8" to keep my offset numbers nice and simple? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 07 WCC CFL
Not Ranked     
It'll be fine... This thing is coming together...
Old 01-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I don't know why, but I completely forgot I had blueprinted my shop wheels a ways back. Comparing the widths of the centers of the wheels, and widths of the sprocket-side hub, I'm exactly 1/2" shy of the shop spec. So a 1/2" spacer it is.

I'll just need a steel square to line up both sprockets and determine what (if any) spacer I will need for the front. Of course all this will have to come after switching out my bearings, centering my wheel with the frame, and boring out the sprocket.

Also got my spherical bearings pressed into my short shift rod. Still waiting on my FTW mids to come in, and one other major part.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
01.10.14 - 1/2" sprocket spacer.

01.10.14 - Yankee Engineuity style billet motor mount.

Got this part from Boosted Brad, quality is top notch. Fits up nicely to the non-Yankee key switch holder I had purchased quite some time ago. Also installed my hi-low beam toggle switch. Just need to purchase the proper length countersunk bolts, and decide whether I'm going to chrome plate the mount, or de-chrome the key switch bracket and polish it all. Thanks Brad.

01.15.14 - Harley OEM 3/4" sealed bearings.

After having purchased an inferior quality set of bearings from over the internet, I decided to go to the stealership for a quality set. $65 for the pair, holy hell. Set up my bearing puller and got to work.

Got some bearing grease, used a socket as a drift and gently tapped the new bearings in. Went in with no difficulty whatsoever. Man I love sealed bearings.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
New bearings installed vs. the old 1" bearings.

With the new bearings pressed in I went ahead and installed the sprocket spacer. Was a nice snug fit, good tolerances.

Wheel finally installed onto rear axle.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
12.24.13 - Billet valve stem caps.

Thank Steve!

12.29.13 - Brembo Four-Pad calipers.

Been wanting these for over three years and I finally have them. No excuses, no compromise! Thanks John. Got the front one shimmed properly and centered over the rotor. Still gotta have the rear caliper machined so it will bolt up to my rear caliper bracket.

STILL waiting on my damn mids!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL140, CFL2, Dominator
Not Ranked     
STILL waiting on my damn mids![/quote]

still waiting for mine too. ordered them from wcc on 12/17/13
Old 01-17-2014, 09:33 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by modekko View Post
still waiting for mine too. ordered them from wcc on 12/17/13
I ordered mine on 12/10!
Old 01-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Get rid of those tapered head allen bolts on the rear brake rotor! OK to use for mock up but those things are garbage. After you do the final torque on them with red loctite they will strip if you ever had to take them out. Those are the same kind of bolts that sheared off on my friend's CFL from Exile Sprotor. I don't see that you have a rear brake rotor yet but the rotor bolt holes could be tapered to match the blots, so you would either need to have those holes machined or get a different sprocket, but use Grade 8 bolts or ARP 12 points. The PM rotors I used on my bikes did not have tapered holes, they are counter sunk but flat and came with Diamond Engineering polished 12 points. Same thing on your front brake rotor and caliper mounts, get rid of those crappy chrome button heads… failure waiting to happen. You won't have an issue with the mount holes on the front rotor, those button heads have flat bottoms so just swap out for 12 points.
FYI, I never got around to updating my list of bolts thread I started, but I ended up spending around $400 on all my ARP fasteners for my Ugly Betch bike. That was every bolt on the bike unless it had 'factory' fasteners in it already like on the motor or trans.

Wheel finally installed onto rear axle.

Last edited by CloudDiver; 01-18-2014 at 11:39 AM..
Old 01-18-2014, 06:41 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks for the input Cloud everything I'd read about the Exile sprotors was that the bolts would back out if you didn't use sufficient loctite. I do already have a WCC rotor and I already countersunk the bolt holes in machining class. If I ever get access to another CNC I'd definitely look into making another carrier with counterbored bolt holes. Until then these will have to do. I figure if WCC ran countersunk bolts with big-inch S&S mills they can't be totally unreliable, if set up properly.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
01.22.14 - WCC Super Duper bars.

Huge thanks to Todd for hooking me up with this part. Been wanting a set of these for almost three years now. And I can say they really make all the difference. The bends are just perfect. Big difference over my old bars.

Before:

After:

Before:

After: