Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > West Coast Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: axeychrome
Posted On: 10-23-2020
Replies: 28
Views: 1,264
10 My First Build... an 06 CFL 2Up 2Out
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: 10-23-2020
Replies: 25
Views: 721
Teardrop Gas Tank Replacement
Last Post: R1_4Life
Posted On: 10-22-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 58
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 10-21-2020
Replies: 41
Views: 1,779
New CFL acquisition...
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: 10-18-2020
Replies: 3
Views: 316
More...
Old 12-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 07 WCC CFL
Not Ranked     
I have Chassis Design, just got em... My brothers CFL has Super Dupers... They 2 bars are about exact. They are worth the $100.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Any chance you could post pics of the two bars side by side?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I can try. I just got my bars in the mail and they aren't mounted. My brother and his bike are about an hour from me... I'll see what I can do though.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:48 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Waiting on some expensive parts to come in the mail. In the meantime, let me get back on track with the TIG welding...

Having finished all the different types of joints on stainless steel (though not to my level of satisfaction) I decided to move on to aluminum, which everyone had told me was harder than mild steel or stainless. Bought the appropriate tungsten, balled the end, set the machine to AC mode and what I thought were appropriate amps for my stock...

Holy hell this is going to be tough. Kept fiddling around with the variables but the damn thing kept spattering, spitting, and popping, and I couldn't even see the beginnings of a puddle. Finally I went to my instructor and he advised me to turn the amps way up (200 where I was running 130 before), and to set high frequency to "continuous" instead of "start only".

Finally saw the puddle and laid down a bead but I could tell I was too aggressive on the amps, the weld is sagging...

A little better...

...and finally was able to lay down a continuous semi-decent looking bead. Just have to practice plunging the filler rod regularly, maintaining even bead width, and filling in the craters at the end.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
More practice on laying down beads...

And now an actual presentation piece...

Confident in laying down beads, I cut up some stock and tacked it together for butt joints.

This time around, I made sure to number the individual pieces before I cut them up, to make sure the pieces went back in the correct order, hopefully ensuring better fit-up.

The butt joints went down good. I wasn't getting full penetration but the instructor told me I shouldn't expect it with aluminum on this thickness. Still having problems filling in the craters, even though I'm letting up on the amps toward the very end and plunging the rod one last time just before I extinguish the arc. Frustrating.

Believe it or not, the last two welds in the top right corner are the LAST butt joints I laid down on that piece. I don't know how I lay down twelve decent joints then blow through two in a row. I give the workpiece plenty of time to cool between welds. Annoying, so I cut those off to use the rest as a presentation piece.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2013, 09:38 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
12.11.13 - WCC riser caps.

Caps bolted right up to my generic bases. Will eventually have to pop the bullets out and get them anodized to match the trees and fork legs. Thanks Caleb.

A shot of the profile...

Still waiting on two critical parts to come in. Hopefully if I sell off some parts I can throw that money right back into more parts...

Last edited by DIABOLUS; 12-16-2013 at 09:42 PM..
Old 12-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
12.11.13 - Revtech narrow glide front hub.

Took some preliminary measurements of the hubs and compared them to an OEM 2002 Sportster hub I had purchased a ways back for blueprinting. Measurements were very close so I went ahead and assembled the hub, mounted the 12.6" rotor, and crossed my fingers.

Now I just gotta swap out my rear wheel 1" bearings for 3/4" bearings and I can get a true roller going.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 08 Street Glide
Not Ranked     
How much for the peanut M&M's?

I am going to wait until the last minute to bid on your glasses, I want them. I have a pair of clear and green now. I left my other ones at a bar in Santa Cruz...

The bike is looking good!!!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks 250, I really like the glasses but with the shape of my face they don't block the wind too well when I ride. Nothing wrong with them otherwise. I got a pair of cheapo Ray-ban knockoffs that are awesome for riding, so no need for the WCC shades.

I can't tell you how relieved I was to find the hub suited my needs perfectly. I got enough shit that needs machining and/or welding and it's nice to be able to bolt something on and not have to think about it or fuss with it any longer.

I can honestly say that I've never loved my bike more than how it's looking now. After three years and so many incarnations it's finally coming into its own. And while it will end up looking more "shop" than ever before, I've got a number of really trick details that are going to set it apart. More on that later.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
It's coming together real nice... I had an offer in on those wheels, they are killer and were a great deal.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone who has purchased parts from me in the last 2-3 weeks. I've been able to unload many of the parts I won't be using, recouping a portion of my initial investment. More than a few buyers got a great deal on the parts, and hopefully we're all a little closer to completing our respective builds.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and has a good 2014 to come.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
12.11.13 - Had my mind set on saving up for Boosted Brad's mid controls, when JJ announced his sale on the FTW mids he's been charging $2100 for. Took the plunge since those were the controls I originally wanted in the first place. No compromise, amirite?

Still waiting on them as of today. You would think that if you announce a sale, and you only have "a few sets left" and I placed the order almost immediately after the sale was announced, you could expect to have your order filled and shipped within a few days. I'm sure with the holidays he is busy, but still...

12.16.13 - A week or so later, got bored and ordered two more spherical bearings. No big deal...

12.17.13 - Then the very next day, as luck would have it, a short WCC shift rod popped up on ebay and I snagged it. Like the stars are all aligning for me or something...thanks Adriano.

Still would need to drill and tap my Primo plate for the FTW mids so I guess there's no huge rush on them. Hopefully by mid-January I'll have them.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:11 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwickk View Post
I have Chassis Design, just got em... My brothers CFL has Super Dupers... They 2 bars are about exact. They are worth the $100.
The one that you have from Chassis Design is that?
Super Bars - High
1" od, Mandrel bent, 120 Wall Tubing
Width: 30.5"
Height: 4.5"
Pullback: 2.5"
Old 12-27-2013, 06:16 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaeGax View Post
The one that you have from Chassis Design is that?
Super Bars - High
1" od, Mandrel bent, 120 Wall Tubing
Width: 30.5"
Height: 4.5"
Pullback: 2.5"

Yes, those are the ones I have....
Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Got bored waiting for some parts to come in so I decided to start tackling my rear wheel. Still need to get my rotor and sprocket bored out to 2000+ specs, so I can't mount them just yet. Looking at the hub from above...

...I'm definitely going to need some sort of sprocket spacer. Also unbolted one of the hubs to take out the inner bearing spacer and was pleasantly surprised to find that there is NO spacer whatsoever, i.e., one less thing I need to fabricate or source. So all I need to do is swap the 1" bearings for 3/4" bearings and I'm good to go. Onward...

01.03.14 - Heartland billet taillight.

Got tired of my Warbird Jr. and having to fab a custom taillight bracket for it, so I switched to a Heartland. Cleaner, sleeker, sophisticated, and more importantly, simpler.

01.03.14 - CFL caliper bracket.

Got one of these along with the Heartland light from Boosted Brad. Quality is excellent, but I was in for a rude surprise when I went to mock it up on my frame...