Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > West Coast Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
This is where it begins -- New Build
Last Post: Old Guy
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 3
Views: 40
Gas tank weld failure
Last Post: pushrod243
Replies: 1
Views: 51
Got myself another old timer
Last Post: caymanchris
Replies: 8
Views: 149
AMA Announces Vote Like a Motorcyclist / ATV Rider Campaign
Last Post: pushrod243
Replies: 0
Views: 19
More...
Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
cfl frame identification

gday (please excuse the language i am aussie) i have just purchased a 2up cfl frame am trying to find out if orig or aftermarket, have scoured the forum for answers am still a bit confused , any help would be appreciated, thanks am looking forward to get feedback etc as build progresses
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     
Did you get an MSO with the frame?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
it was advertised on e bay with paperwork , drove 5 hours to pick up up when i arrived he told me paperwork is missing, was told is 2006, cheers
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I don't know about the laws down under... But here in most states you just bought a very large paperweight... My frame is from 2006 and is up on eBay right now, I don't know if they numbered in order or not but you could message me with your number and see if they are close. - Chuck
Old 03-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty5 View Post
it was advertised on e bay with paperwork , drove 5 hours to pick up up when i arrived he told me paperwork is missing, was told is 2006, cheers
If you bought it through eBay you need to nail the guy... He needs to come up with the paperwork or refund you, period, no exceptions. You are screwed without that MSO and as far as I know there is no way to replace it. I also understand Australia is pretty strict on registering new construction motorcycles, so there isn't any way around not having that MSO.

The CFL serial number on the frame should have the year in in just like a regular VIN. after the 1CFL**** there should be a 6 in those first few characters that indicates an 06 frame.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Nothing in the garage...
Not Ranked     
Yep, what Cloud said ^^^ is spot on... If you do not find the MSO it is still possible to register it but it is a nightmare in the US so I could only imagine it's worse where you are, good luck.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006, CFL,96"S&S?
Not Ranked     
Pics of the oil tank mount area would tell alot too!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
thanks for the input , yes i was a bit suss when he said the paperwork was missing but couldnt help myself, the oil tank is not polished and has 3 mounting holes, it also does not have the spider web neck gussett, the roller is in storage at moment will get there and check the vin, i think i will still be able to register it here it is just a lot of crap, engineers certificate etc, cheers thanks again
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
have just checked the frame on e bay ( i payed double that lol ) cant quite see oil tank area but it looks same otherwise mine is 2 up , have read early 2ups were 1 inch forward where as later cc ones were 2 out, thanks again

Last edited by sporty5; 03-05-2013 at 09:19 PM..
Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     
Later LBC frames were also 2" out, not just the Custom Chrome frames.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by sporty5 View Post
thanks for the input , yes i was a bit suss when he said the paperwork was missing but couldnt help myself, the oil tank is not polished and has 3 mounting holes, it also does not have the spider web neck gussett, the roller is in storage at moment will get there and check the vin, i think i will still be able to register it here it is just a lot of crap, engineers certificate etc, cheers thanks again
Take some pics as well and post them here. Do you have a link to the eBay listing or is it old?
Old 03-06-2013, 02:51 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: WEST COAST CHOPPERS CFL 127ci
Not Ranked     
Get your money back dude and look for another one.
It'll save you a lot of heartache that the seller was no doubt trying to avoid, you need that MSO if you want to register it.
You should have no problem getting a refund if it was advertised with paperwork.
I'm no law expert but the only frames that I've seen go through are ICV frames which you have to prove you manufactured yourself, ie; with progress photo's, engineer signoffs etc, and the standards are stupid strict.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:46 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2011 - 200 Dominator - S&S 113 -
Not Ranked     
The frame number will tell the year. It should be 1CFLR06******* if it is an '06 frame.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL, 113" Ultima
Not Ranked     
Hey man, By the sounds of your oil tank mount it sounds legit, 06 is also a LB era so it could be an original, I think I know of the seller, he had been trying to sell it for awhile yeah? Unpainted? Fatter rear end?

You NEED the MSO for the frame, 100%, this is pretty much proof that it hasn;t been stolen/chopped/gutted etc.

You also need receipts for engine and tranny. I'm trying to register my CFL and it's pretty hard, have had the frame tested and everything, mine is also an ICV like BANGS said, you don;t have to build the frame yourself but it has to be crack and strength tested, and you have to do the rest yourself, pretty much as he said, manufacture a bike yourself.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
thanks for all the info, i know i stuffed up not demanding the mso but i was just itching to get a frame as they dont come up for sale very often, i will still build it anyway , my bikes dont get out much as i am 42 but have bad arthritis so i usually only ride short trips etc , dont usually register because of little use (many fines), but i know if i ever try to sell it it will make it very hard to sell, i bought an 87 softail as the donor bike which was imported here to aus, i am thinking of registering that as is and do the old number switch, but they are right onto that stuff as well, thanks again for all the info , would love to hear from anyone in aus who can help getting a rear guard(fender) we call them mudguards, cheers