Club Chopper Forums

Club Chopper Forums (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/)
-   Vision Design (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/vision-design/)
-   -   How to build a Sportster gas tank for dummies....and cheapskates. (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/vision-design/82950-how-build-sportster-gas-tank-dummies-cheapskates.html)

vision 06-23-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spade115 (Post 1050928)
Are you going to build anymore tanks vision?

Never again :LOL:
BTW........... the name is Ron.

Actually I got my brother in law on tank detail now while I do the art fag stuff for Tarrerra and Big Iron Joe's kustom kulture show in LA. and working out a plan to get Bullet banned from this site.

Hence the pics of burning Alien heads....

http://www.clubchopper.com/photopost/data/500/al1.jpg

vision 06-23-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tink (Post 1050917)
Hi

I've resized the pattern to full size, you can download the .PDF from the tech-stuff page of my site at http://www.trikenest.freeserve.co.uk.

With due credit to Vision.

Vision if you have a problem with this let me know and I'll take it down, I don't want to tread on anyone's toes.

Tink

If I had the ability I would have done it first. I am usually the one telling people: "Hey if you don't want something out there and you really care who sees it, here's a crazy idea, DON'T POST IT ON THE INTERNET!" :LOL:

This link may be a bit more direct though
http://www.trikenest.freeserve.co.uk/sporty_tank.pdf

P.S. Tink if I sent you a file for a Villain style tank could you .pdf that one too?

Spade115 06-23-2010 06:15 PM

If you can PDf it I will save it :D hehe, I know its Ron, I think you and D, are some cool crazy kats. and I will help you get bullet banned, damn vampire. lol Going to look into getting a stock frame like yours so if anyones in South Texas and wants a yamaha frame (no idea which one) send me a pm

Tink 06-23-2010 10:12 PM

Hi Ron

I am going to redo the .PDF file as I think I can get it better

It may take a few days as I'm moving house at the weekend but I should be up and running on monday.

If you can mail me the picture of the Villain tank, I can upsize it using the same method. I'll need a major dimension to work with.

you can mail me at

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h5.../email_add.jpg

Tink

Spade115 06-24-2010 07:44 AM

Just went to your site tink and really digging the Tear Trailer.

vision 06-24-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spade115 (Post 1051041)
Just went to your site tink and really digging the Tear Trailer.

Yea I got trapped in that spiderweb of a site for over an hour reading about trikes, trailers and rallies in the rain. Good stuff :)

Spade115 06-24-2010 08:16 AM

:D Going to consider building one so when I goto the island in the truck no more renting a hotel. That ands Tods trailer plans would be good for the next time my bike breaks down. lol

and gonna try and build me a tank :D Damn you all keep people wanting to build stuff. lol

Tink 06-24-2010 11:03 AM

Updated and improved (and larger filesize) .PDF on my site now, same link.

Thanks for the kind words I really must get round to updating that site.

Tink

Lunchmin 06-25-2010 09:52 AM

Sunnuvabitch!
this *almost* makes me feel like i could make a tank!

awesome thread, indeed and great work to back it up.

Trikeopath 08-11-2010 05:02 PM

Wish I'd seen this thread before I started making my Tank.
This info might come in useful now as I've just balls it up so I need to make a new one.

FFS folks make sure you set your regulators on a low PSi if you are going to pressure test you handy work. I've just cost myself about 2 weeks work and feel like scraping my whole project. Ho hum

vision 08-11-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trikeopath (Post 1063197)
FFS folks make sure you set your regulators on a low PSi if you are going to pressure test you handy work. I've just cost myself about 2 weeks work and feel like scraping my whole project. Ho hum

Yea man I will never understand this:
Put 10 PSI in a bicycle tire and it will look and ride like it is still flat
Put 10 PSI in a metal tank and it will warp and distort the metal panels
Put 20 PSI in a metal tank and you have an IED

The other great mystery in my life is why I can put on my headphones on to watch a few you tubes, put them down and pick them back up later and they spin like crazy? How the hell does the line get so twisted?

MechWerks 08-11-2010 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vision (Post 1063210)
Yea man I will never understand this:
Put 10 PSI in a bicycle tire and it will look and ride like it is still flat
Put 10 PSI in a metal tank and it will warp and distort the metal panels
Put 20 PSI in a metal tank and you have an IED

The other great mystery in my life is why I can put on my headphones on to watch a few you tubes, put them down and pick them back up later and they spin like crazy? How the hell does the line get so twisted?

PSI is pounds per square inch. Figure out the square inches of surface on one of your tanks and multiply by air pressure...the resulting number is pretty impressive. Explains why 30 psi will hold up a car.

The headphone deal is simply a twist of the cord each time you take off the head set. Watch what happens the next time you put them on and take them off...mystery solved.

vision 08-11-2010 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechWerks (Post 1063214)
PSI is pounds per square inch. Figure out the square inches of surface on one of your tanks and multiply by air pressure...the resulting number is pretty impressive. Explains why 30 psi will hold up a car.

The headphone deal is simply a twist of the cord each time you take off the head set. Watch what happens the next time you put them on and take them off...mystery solved.

wait a minute, multiplied? really?
My understanding of pressure was that 10 PSI in a football exerts the same force on the wall of the ball as 10 PSI in the hull of a battleship right?

Trikeopath 08-11-2010 06:40 PM

I think I may have had a tad more than 30 PSi.
To put it in perspective, last time I used the Compressor, I was cutting 10mm Plate with the Plasma cutter. I'll leave the rest to your imagination!!

At least I got to ride it a few times.

vision 08-11-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trikeopath (Post 1063227)
I think I may have had a tad more than 30 PSi.
To put it in perspective, last time I used the Compressor, I was cutting 10mm Plate with the Plasma cutter. I'll leave the rest to your imagination!!

At least I got to ride it a few times.

Jezus Chris your lucky you were not seriously hurt. I make the kids around use a bicycle pump to add air to a tank because I don't want anything like that to happen.

Did it scare the piss outta you or did you see it starting to expand but it was too late to stop?