Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > Painters/Seats/Chop Parts/General Distributors > Vision Design

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
2004 883 Chopper?!?
Last Post: BruceClarke
Posted On: 11-22-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 103
Dom Frame Specs
Last Post: Northside W&M
Posted On: 11-21-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 108
Show us your bike!!
Last Post: golfish
Posted On: 11-20-2020
Replies: 1,800
Views: 790,219
Ultima 140
Last Post: golfish
Posted On: 11-20-2020
Replies: 1
Views: 86
7 New project and new member
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: 11-18-2020
Replies: 1
Views: 232
More...
Old 03-27-2010, 08:44 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 74-74
Not Ranked     
Damn Ron love the tools, and that's a method I've never seen before. That's the great thing about metal work, everyone has there own methods. Was I reading right that u welded from the inside?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Dude, that is great! never thought of building the sides the way you did, that pattern rocks. This truly is a great way for someone without all the equipment to still build a tank. Great job so far! (and thanks for the compliment). Mark.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:52 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Big Wheel
Send a message via MSN to vision Send a message via Yahoo to vision Send a message via Skype™ to vision
Not Ranked     
Mark- No need for thanks your tutorial is a service to this forum and really explains the theory. All I am doing is showing how to put that into practice with minimal machinery and the least amount of shaping possible.

JC- Yea I weld on the inside when it is possible because later I will make the final passes on the outside but this allows me to lay in more metal. And JC PLEASE steal this idea or any other because I am going to steal all sorts of ideas from your bikes on this build and if you took something from what we do it would just be closer to fair

Now this step is totally optional but it does give the tank a bit of an (God I hate use the term but) ..."Old School" flavor to it. This is kind of a tribute to the guys that were Hot Rodding gas tanks when I was knee high to a grasshopper and stil looks damn cool to me.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to vision Send a message via Yahoo to vision Send a message via Skype™ to vision
Not Ranked     
I am gonna have to wait a bit on the pattern because I was damn near the point of beating my keyboad to bits trying to resize it to print the right size. Here is what I got now and if you make this print out with the top piece being 16 5/8th (or so) inches long then your a better man then I.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:21 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
OK dishing complete and we pretty much know how this tank is gonna look now. The next step is fitment and in my case I am trying to get this sucker to fit on of all things....A 2004 Sportster. The backbone is almost 3 inches wide and it uses a hard-mount set-up so none of my normal jigs are going to work....Thats why they call it custom eh?

Old 03-27-2010, 11:12 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Just a side note here to anyone who is doing this at home and has seen the TV shows where they act as if the tank is going to be sprayed directly with paint. Guys do your best on the body work. It takes some time but the more you do it the better and quicker you get. You dont need to make the tank feel like glass on the outside but this example shows you what plays on some production bikes.

*getting up on my soapbox now*
This tank was made by splitting a Chinese Sporty tank in half then wrapping sheet metal around it to extend the tank then welding it back up. If the maker could be bothered to do a little bit of hand pounding this 1/4 inch (almost 3/8ths in some spots) thick layer of bondo could be reduced to a thin film. The main problem here was not that the tank maker wasn't good enough (I know for a fact he was) but my guess is that the company that put in the order wanted em fast and wanted em cheap and this was the only way he could do it and still make money. Don't fall into the "well fix it with bondo" trap. If you are making this yourself and you get this far then put in the time it takes to get your tank the way you want it in metal.
-Rant over-

Old 03-28-2010, 01:18 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
So getting back to business the next step is to burn in the cap bung. Easiest to do it now when you have access from both sides.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:21 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Then flip it over an put in a bottom. I like to make them in one piece and then cut out for the tunnel because it makes tunnel installation a bit easier.

Last edited by vision; 03-28-2010 at 01:23 AM..
Old 03-28-2010, 01:26 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Next we check tunnel depth. This one is going to be a "frisco" where the tank almost just sits on the backbone.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:59 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Didn't get the mounting done like I hoped but getting pretty close. Tomorrow hopefully I get these mounts finished, drop a petcock and crossovers in, test the tank and finish off this thread and then start on my seat. An engine and carb (thanks UKLee) are already both on the way

Old 03-28-2010, 04:04 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: shovel chopper
Not Ranked     
nice work... i appreciate the schooling... this is what i enjoy about this site, the tech
Old 03-28-2010, 04:13 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 AM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 Barefoot Choppa
Not Ranked     
Pretty cool Vision......guess this is right up my alley since I was recently called a dumb-ass.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 74-74
Not Ranked     
Not worried about it my friend, I'm glad you like my work well enough to imitate. It's an honor.

Hey and by the way there is no "dummy" in tank building.

Last edited by JC; 03-28-2010 at 08:26 AM..
Old 03-29-2010, 04:58 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ok so remember when I said even a moron like me could do this? Well the caveat to that is that sometime even a relativity simple bracket takes us several tries before we come up with something that even works. I was originally going to make a really cool looking bracket here but as the frustration started mounting and the scrap pile growing I retreated and decided to re-think it over a beer. The result (4 beers later) was me just deciding to make something that would work and worry about aesthetics later.