Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > Painters/Seats/Chop Parts/General Distributors > Vision Design

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 42
Views: 1,873
10 My First Build... an 06 CFL 2Up 2Out
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Replies: 27
Views: 892
Insurance?
Last Post: Chuck_U_Farley
Replies: 0
Views: 25
I'm Baaaaaaaack...
Last Post: waxlrose
Replies: 3
Views: 379
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: axeychrome
Posted On: 10-23-2020
Replies: 28
Views: 1,327
More...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom Build
Not Ranked     
Vision,
You are dead on...

When talking about "raked trees" 3,5,7 degress etc this is the extra rake built into the triple trees that can be useful to correct the "trail" of the front end..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I would be interested in seeing the drilled hot rod style.are the shocks from
choppershox?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:34 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Big Wheel
Send a message via MSN to vision Send a message via Yahoo to vision Send a message via Skype™ to vision
Not Ranked     
The shocks I have in there now are from Choppershox and I would prefer to deal with Dave because he seems like a decent enough guy but what do you know of Choppershox? Is their product better then the next guys?

My concern with the shocks is this: This system rides softer with 5 inch springs in it then with the shocks and on the bench the springs yield over 2 inches of effective travel while the shocks seems hard pressed to give up an inch under the same load. I have noticed this same phenomenon when running shocks VS spring direct do you guys running shocks feel they are superior to springs and if so why?

For the record I think the shocks look 10 times better then springs

Old 11-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Vision,
The shock in your picture looks like it has not much more than an inch of usable stroke in it before it would bottom out. You would probably need a shock that has 2 1/2" of stroke to get 2" of travel out it comfortably.

The spring you are talking about just has a lower "spring rate" compared to the shock so it takes less force to compress the spring.

If set up properly the shocks will be much better riding than springs alone..

Shocks mainly just control the spring from oscillating or bouncing up and down after they have been compressed..
Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to vision Send a message via Yahoo to vision Send a message via Skype™ to vision
Not Ranked     
Paul - My high school physics teacher and my intellect (whats left of it) agree with you that a shock/spring combo should provide a superior ride. My ass begs to differ. I did just realize that is unfair to compare these with a 5 inch spring because the actual spring on these shocks is only 2.25 inches long (and like you said have about an inch of usable stroke) so they should be in the arena with a 3 inch spring (about an inch and a half of stroke) to be a near fair fight. To try to alleviate that a bit we did build in some 25% mechanical advantage so that when our seat goes 1 inch the shock only compresses 3/4 of an inch but now I am questioning is an even great mechanical advantage might help make for a softer ride?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Vision,

More mechanical advantage would probably help. Also a smaller/softer "spring rate" on that little shock would probably help get a better ride out of it, as long as it does not bottom out.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom Rigid
Send a message via Yahoo to Milenko
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision

Here's a new part we are working on with Choppershox. Just fishing for mean spirited digs on the design aesthetics, weight, or to let me know that it won't work (it does) because those remarks usually end up in new design ideas that help us out more than compliments ever could.

I like it... but it looks heavy on the engineering for the amount of travel... reminds me of something from that game mousetrap! cool look to it...

The point to consider is that those are really just controlled range springs, not "shocks" right? Do they have a dampener and decompress slowly? So you are in essence building a lever system to control the spring...and compress / decompress more slowly...

Here's a pic of my simple lever design...rides like a softail! Not nearly as cool as your design (I am a half-ass garage hack ), but same basic principle of leverage. Basically it uses leverage rather than blunt force to compress the spring...heavier springs are needed the more leverage you use...

Cool stuff man, super innovative!
Old 11-07-2007, 12:46 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Milenko that is a great rig! I know that I can increase the leverage on the spring and get a softer ride that way but I am wondering if I should? Dave from Chopepershox tells me I may be using 2 springs that were designed to be singles and that may be the reason my travel is so limited.

I would like to hear from other people that are running straight shocks about are they getting a hard ride still or do these type of shocks NEED to be leveraged to work best?

Old 11-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom built hardtail
Not Ranked     
In my opinion, it looks way too complicated for its purpose! I have a simple single shock setup that doesn't take up much room, provides a decent ride (may be better with more leverage like Milenko's) but it is functional and SIMPLE! Isn't that what this is really all about, keeping it simple and not too over engineered? For what its worth your setup looks cool but is too much man...
Old 11-09-2007, 01:07 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 83 750 4 cylinder shaft drive rigid Yami
Send a message via Yahoo to RiceRider69
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milenko
The point to consider is that those are really just controlled range springs, not "shocks" right? Do they have a dampener and decompress slowly? !

This is a good question that has not yet been answered. I know the "shock" that I have that I am planning on using is NOT a shock,,,,without the spring it has no dampening quality whatsoever. so my question is,,,,,are there in fact shocks that exist that ARE dampeners? If so who makes them and where can I get one. I am planning on a more simple design like Milenko's.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:43 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Choppin Yea it is over-engineered for sure -that is how we wanted this style to look. Plus since we needed to work out the geometry first the complicated multi piece design allowed us to easily alter the geometry without starting all over again. Now that it is pretty much set we can simplify and then drill it out and the we will have a product that looks more simple/functional.

Note though that this design was trying to accomplish more than simply gaining a mechanical advantage over springs, it's aims were:

1. To have a system that would keep the seat height of a rigid at an absolute
minimum. Normal 5 inch springs raise the seat height more than 5 inches and bottom out with the seat still more than 2 inches off the fender. Ours can be set up anywhere from 2 inches to 5 inches up off the wishbone and NOT bottom out on the fender.

2. To provide the optimal mechanical advantage to make the most of the spring/shock.

3. To enhance the aesthetic of the bike overall

4. To have a simple installation that would require no welding or relocation of frame components.

Rice rider I am no expert on shocks but I also am looking for a "shock" with a for real dampener built in. If you find one please post here

Old 11-14-2007, 06:49 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
OK so here is the same rig Chromed. Next step is to make it a bit more substantial in the critical points and trim down the makeshift adjuster bolt. Then we can get to the simplification stage

Old 03-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1979 Honda CB750K
Send a message via Yahoo to stephen82kck
Not Ranked     
hell I wouldnt mind having a piece like that on my bike where can i get one of those?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1996 FLSTF
Not Ranked     
Well... it's been a few months... I don't see it on choppershox or vision's website... did it go anywhere? Are these for sale?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:30 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
They are for sale on ebay, his user name is visiontanks I think. He has some cool shit on there.