Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CUSTOM BUILDERS/DISTRIBUTORS > Two-Bit Choppers

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Starting a New Build but its not a CFL
Last Post: fifty
Posted On: Today
Replies: 9
Views: 899
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: Poop
Posted On: Today
Replies: 12
Views: 1,336
5 speed quadseal and enclosed primary
Last Post: Am4wag
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 2
Views: 64
Mounting WCC belt guard on Brute V
Last Post: modekko
Posted On: 07-13-2019
Replies: 1
Views: 49
bmc
Last Post: pushrod243
Posted On: 07-13-2019
Replies: 2
Views: 103
More...
Old 02-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Mutation in progress!!
Not Ranked     
This may be a stupid question but... what would one need to purchase other than a sound donor and a kit?? What can be used from a donor and what else is needed?? Drivetrain from a donor works with a kit or no? I have a loan check coming and its a toss up between a Buell build or another kit. All input is appreciated!! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2005, 11:45 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Buell chop, 07 road king
Not Ranked     
use buell motor/tranny, belt, pulleys, front end, wheels, brakes, bars, hand controls, (recommend fwd foot controls), ignition, (recomend new wire harness). You'll need paint, wires, new hoses, smaller builders battery, a few small fittings and misc hardware. you can also use a few things that work from the buell like the horn, tailight, use your imagination, but you might want to find more stylish aftermarket stuff. Anyone else want to add anything i missed?

DHD eats ass
Old 02-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
So who has the best kit for the price?? BTW thanks you may have just changed my mind!!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:07 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1999 1200C
Send a message via AIM to popasickboy
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by Cally
Hi all, new to this forum and need some advise. I am ready to start a Mutant Buell project and have some questions... I have an 04 XB12R donar bike and need to know if I can use the forks and wheels (I know they are a bit different form the older Buells). Also will I need to convert the motor form FI to carb.

Thanks in advance
Dude--your 04 donor bike---,motor wont fit in a mutant frame will it---your rubbermounted---my bro had a frame made from mc worx especially for his 04 xb9,you might gotta do same

Old 02-14-2005, 05:45 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: rigid shovelhead
Not Ranked     
Nemo,

Two different people offer a sound "kit" along with another couple that offer frames.

1. Motorcycle Works - Great looking, great quality welding/fitment but a little pricey @ 2330.00 for the frame only. Every add on is more $$ ..like forward control mounts -$120., gas tank - $1200., rear fender $900., seat pan mounted $900., seat pan but not mounted $100. + a few other costs . Basically a $4500 start kit before you have the donor bike - ouch!!!

2. Redneck Engr. - Great looking, good quality welding/some fitment issues (hammer marks on tubing on my frame that needed silicabronze welding to fix - to deep to just grind), parts delivery is inconsistant (I'm still waiting for axle & front motor mounts & my bike is finished & 4 sale - made my own axle & got front motor mounts from Jailhouse Choppers / CC member) - $1995.00 for frame kit. $2995.00 for frame kit & sheetmetal. The RE kit has a few quirks though.... the internal fork stop cups don't really fit the greatest - a little to much clearence between them once the front end is installed. Looks as if the neck needs to be machined a bit deaper. Oil tank & gas tank look like after thoughts as they are just plain cheap! I replaced the oil tank with 1 I make (see my picture gallery). Tank needs pop up or reuse buell filler neck. Funky mounting position. Seat area basically SUX. Unless your arms are dragging the ground you will find that you are rreaching WAY to much for safe everyday driving. I addressed this with a seating area modification (again see my gallery). Aftermarket controls are positioned way to far forward & down close to the ground making this a straight line bike most of the time. I solved this delema with the utilization on 05 HD softail controls - they appear to be a bit higher (only problem is they don't bolt right up - modifications needed to install).
Understand - I'm not bashing RE just giving u what I went thru with the kit. I finished it in 30 days & have posted completed pics in my gallery.

3. Atlas frames offers a frame. I believe it is a small tube frame which may be an issue with this engine combo as far as vibration. Look at a buell/sportster in stock form - they'd rattle you teeth out - the bigger tube (RE & Mtrcycle Works) seem to dampen that issue.

4. Paughco offers a frame also but it kinda looks "old school" & is not an issue unless your trying to have a bike that looks up to date.

5. I'm sure others offer kits & frames too but.... I have no real exposure to them so I can not comment.

All & all I was happy with my RE rig & it's now 4 sale (14,000) but I dought I'd purchase another from them based on parts delivery as this is not a hobby for me but a way to make money.

I hope that I gave you some information that you can understand & help you in your purchase.

Best of luck.

PACO
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Very informative!! Thanks!!! I love the seat you made BTW!!
Old 02-15-2005, 05:40 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
nemo,

Thanks.

If you'd like to save some time.... bike is 4 sale - 14K.

PACO
Old 02-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The whole reason to build a mutant buell is to have a low buck custom head twister---$14000 is not that---If it had top shelf parts all round,then yes but I hope you get it bro,Honest,it would give me a hell of a insentive to try to get my own little shop going in my empty 4 car garage that I just got acess too

Old 02-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I know one thing--all these nice mutants I see,including the one I posted that was built inhouse---the motors are ugly as sin!!! My 1200 motor dosnt compare in power but hell It looks alot better---How hard is it to paint the fucking motor one color black it out chrome it,do as you please but dont make it a eye sore. And Im not refering to any special bike except the one I posted---the bike is sweeeeet until the motor grabs your eyes(But I Bet ITS FAAAST) Sorry just needed to let some steam off,Bad Day and its not even noon yet,gotta run Peace----Justin Hows that maltese trans cover coming?????

Old 02-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Buell chop, 07 road king
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by popasickboy
The whole reason to build a mutant buell is to have a low buck custom head twister---$14000 is not that---If it had top shelf parts all round,then yes but I hope you get it bro,Honest,it would give me a hell of a insentive to try to get my own little shop going in my empty 4 car garage that I just got acess too
Granted, but I think he's got a shot at getting his price on this. There's plenty of guys who won't touch a wrench to build their own. And they are the ones who will have to pay a little extra. Small custom shops out here want 10K just for labor to build you a one-off. Exile wants over 12-14 more for an assembled bike as opposed to a complete 20K kit. If Paco has 10k in parts and paint, then 4k is pretty cheap for a 30-day build. New sportys go for what, around 10 grand? big twins for 18 (yeah right, not here) to 24 grand? and customs 25-35?

DHD eats ass
Old 02-15-2005, 08:49 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hey popasickboy,

If it was a hobby I would have a reasonably low dollar custom that looks real kool.

Instead this is the work I do daily. SO............. with any business, if your familiar with 1, your out to deliver a finished product for a price & timeline that possible someone could not.

Personally I believe I hit that mark.

Luckely my other work, metal fab & welding, supports me & my family, until the bike thing takes off. Course I can always use my milling machine, lathe, welders, plasma cutter, & related tools for something else I guess.

As far as top shelf parts......... I don't understand what your talking about. I didn't cheat on the 1 off parts I made unless you consider it not all cirus painted & chromed out. But in retrospect the bike has to be produced for the masses & I relaize that what ever paint I like you may not. So..... eazyily changed paint & such.

I could have done a big twin fat tire bike like....... everyone else & try & compete with that market - not. Thought that a buell based bike for 13-16K depending on finished product would kinda be ..... unique. Maybe I'm wrong - we'll see.

I do appreciate you input though. Perhaps NJ is not a place this bike would sell??

PACO
Old 02-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I didnt realize he had 10 gs into it if thats the case yes $its a nice deal for someone who wwont touch a wrench(dont know why) but definitly I was thinking more like $7500 into it+time so my mistake Wanna see more of the Curves mutant hit the scene Thats a sweet sweet frame---Cant wait to see what alot of these boneheads do with it if they dont buy the complete body kit..

Old 02-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Redneck Mutant Buell
Not Ranked     
Hey Popasick,

Click here http://www.clubchopper.com/t15910.html
to see the finished product you were asking about.

Paco,

Man I think your price is reasonable. Truth is a guy can build one for himself for 10K or less if he really goes cheap, but he's got to have the time, tools and know-how to do it, and a lot of guys don't. I've got $7500 in parts, paint and upholstery in mine, plus the value of my old M2 (around $5000-$6000 with the 108hp motor I had built in it), so figure $12,500-$13,000, but that's paying no one else other than the seat guy and my pinstriper for any labor. Somebody will snatch it up at that price, I guarantee it.

Later,
Justin @ T.B.C.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:53 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
popasickboy,

It appears that you've not visited a HD dealership nor an aftermarket 1, that services say Big Dogs or TX choppers, lately.

The service areas are jammed with bikes from the "won't touch a wrench" buying public. If they did..... these shops won't be thriving!! I would assume they too are charging too much for the bikes they build or... because of all the flash they put on them the asking price is OK. Tell it to SuckerPunchSally, Flyrite & a few others that sell completed rigs on the lower end side of the big twin market. They look to me to be thriving. Guys on CC buy their product.

Unlike yourself, who I haven't seen any build posts from, the average guy may or may not have the tools, time or even the knowledge (or friends) to help assemble a kit style bike. RE bikes are really not "kits: as we know them. So some fab work is involved. Ask some of the other buell guys here.

Like some of the other guys on this forum even I must humble myself to ask a question or three. You must feel pretty good about not having to envolve anyone else in "your" projects. So it's guys like me that fill the void between the HD dealer & the big overpriced aftermarket dealers. It would appear by your statements that you really don't value whatever your skill is. But then again maybe it's that NJ thing again.

As far as the investment I have in the bike I would be foolish to start at sales figure that doesn't allow me any leeway for bargaining. I guess I could list it @ 10 then tell the person I'd like a bit more after(LOL). Haven't seen that sales tactic used in a while.

In closing I'm attempting, as is Justin @ 2BC to eck out a little living & provide a guy/girl a bike that is "turn key" and debugged for less than 1 of the BIG GUYS. Will it work.... time will tell.

At this point I will only take a certified check from you on the purchase.................

PACO
Old 02-15-2005, 11:45 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Paco,
I myself am one of those guys who isn't afraid to turn an wrench. I have been doing aviation sheetmetal for the past 10 years and plan on attempting some things with a kit. In all honesty I do like your bike but I want to do what you have done, to look at a bike and say I built that or I fabbed that. I was planning on Hardcore 2 but after reading some of these posts and realizing the cost and look differences and a little online research, I believe this is the way I am going. I am sure that your bike will sell alot quicker than you think but don't go anywhere cause I am sure I will need your help with my build soon!!