Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > Southern Motorcycle Works Inc Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
WTB: chopper fucker battery box
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 9
Views: 16,274
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 12-06-2019
Replies: 48
Views: 22,825
Whats this Thing Worth??????
Last Post: vsa266
Posted On: 12-05-2019
Replies: 0
Views: 27
Eyes
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: 12-04-2019
Replies: 7
Views: 2,260
FXR / FLT Rigid builds?
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 12-02-2019
Replies: 9
Views: 3,719
More...
Old 02-19-2012, 04:24 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Proposed Aussie Godfather Build

Hey all.

Ive been procrastinating about building a bike for a while now and am coming to the point where I think Im going to bite the bullet and get a kit.

Ive scoped out a few places and think the Aussie Godfather is the way to go.

I was wondering if anyone who has built one of these can share their experiences and how you went about registering these things and how much importation and engineering was, in particular those in Western Australia

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL, 113" Ultima
Not Ranked     
Hey Steve

I've seen a few godfathers in perth, there was one in vic park, and there's a video of one from perth on youtube, so they must be able to pass rego.

I talked to Randy a few months ago, and I believe he is a member here, He's a really great guy to deal with. His deal is (I think) $17999 delivered to the airport, Postage is included in the price to avoid extra GST costs I THINK.

Not sure about engineering. A few guys on here have told me it'll be around $1500. I've talked to a bike shop here and he said about $500, as does the guy who supplied my kit. So not sure about that one, I think it varies on who you get to do it.

Do you have any experience with building a bike? I think the Godfather is a fairly well put together bike, and I think their DIY DVD is specific to the godfather, so that's going to be helpful.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     
Hey Aussiechop!

Ive done a bit of reading and I will have to pay GST as the price is over $1k GST exempt limit. Im just curious if I get hit with Customs and Duty which could be up to 15% on top.

Which guy/kit did you go for? Im open to all suggestions, its just that the SMW kit looks great, has everything, and Randy can accommodate my changes that I want. Ive touched base with VPW and they look pretty decent too. It just seems the Godfather kit has all of it supplied in one hit.

Ive got no experience building a bike, but Im not too bad with my hands so Im confident I can get through most of it, and if not, google is my friend

Steve
Old 02-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
VPW?

Randy @ SMW knows everything about the import taxes and GST, he really knows his shit when it comes to importing into Australia. I'd talk to him, I assume you saw his ad on Ebay?

I got my kit through a guy called Pedro in NSW, Hogwild Choppers, he made up a custom kit for me as I wanted a different style bike. Another great guy to deal with.

The godfather kit is a safe bet, all the parts are proven to fit to each other, and if not I'm sure someone else has had the same problem as there are alot of the bikes around, so you wont be short of information.

I'm a mechanic, and I've had a few issues pop up on my bike, it's been difficult because the CFL frame hasn't really made its way over to Australia, so shops can;t really help me. I've been relying heavily on this forum, Pedro and a guy called Mike at Malibu Motorcycle Works.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:09 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Yeah, VPW. They are a mob based in Vic and I have read they are pretty good to deal with so I got a estimate from them too.

Yeah say SMW ad on ebay and did some digging. Also so the Hogwild one too. I didnt get a good feeling from their ad or website, but by the sounds of it they are good to deal with too?

With your chop, how easy was the registration process?
Old 02-20-2012, 05:11 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Yeah, VPW. They are a mob based in Vic and I have read they are pretty good to deal with so I got a estimate from them too.

Yeah say SMW ad on ebay and did some digging. Also so the Hogwild one too. I didnt get a good feeling from their ad or website, but by the sounds of it they are good to deal with too?

With your chop, how easy was the registration process?
Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Haven't heard of VPW, what's it stand for? What do they offer?

Pedro at Hogwild is good, he knows alot about the registration process and their requirements. He threw a bunch a frames at me that he could get, but made sure they'd all be able to pass rego as I was looking at something that would never pass.

I haven't reached the rego stage yet, I got my kit November last year, and have had a few set backs, so I probably wont be at that stage until the middle of this year.

But from what I've gathered so far, you need to get an engineering certificate for the frame, where they check over your frame (welds), then you need to fill out an ICV form, which I think includes getting the bike re looked at by an engineer after it is fully built, to check brakes and some other things, once that passes you can take it over the pits and get it rego'd.

My bike is going to need a few things to get it rego'd, mainly just a longer rear fender, as the fender that came with my kit is slightly too short.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Not sure what it stands for, but the website is surprisingly vpw.com.au. They are based in Epping in Vic if I remember correctly.

For your build, have you been consulting with a local engineer regarding rego? I hear that WA is both stricter and has its own interpretations of the ADRs.

So have you got your frame inspected? Dont you need to get this done prior to mock up?

You got a blog on ur build as id be interested in how your going and what your looking at building.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1957 panhead custom
Not Ranked     
good guy to have a yarn with is Ray ? one of the 2 inspectors at the licencing office in welshpool answered alot of questions for me and has saved me a hear of time and money
Old 02-21-2012, 03:43 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hey Trumph, another dude from Perth! Crazy. Does Ray work at welshpool? Is he in the pit section or office?

Steve, I haven't been talking to any engineers yet. The licensing center will give you a list of engineers they recognize to do your check overs with, you can view that list on their website.

Not sure about how strict it is over here, I can imagine it'll be pretty bad. I'm nervous about my bike as mine is a rigid, and have heard stories of engineers not wanting anything to do with them.

But again I've been talking to the mechanic at American Motorcycles, and he's done the process a few times, he's recommended a few good engineers, I forgot who they are though. I don't think it really matters if you get the frame inspected before or after, I'm leaving mine till last because I need to weld things onto my frame for the fuel tank, seat, exhaust and probably a few other bits.

So after they all get welded on I'll get the frame checked out, and if the frame needs re welded I'll just get it done.

I think SMW uses kraft tech frames, which according to a friend, he has never had to get re welded after an engineer inspection, he has had to get ultima frames re welded though. I think at the end of the day it depends what you want, the Godfather kit is a proven kit that will get rego'd, and even if you do have any issues, it's almost certain that Randy has been through it before with someone else that has bought the kit in Perth, which will be a MASSIVE help when you start building.

Also I do have a blog, filled with problems ha ha here - Ozzy CFL build
Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1957 panhead custom
Not Ranked     
He works in the office and is one of two inspectors that look after bikes gave me a heap of info and answered the questions i had saved alot of time and cash as well i didn't buy a kit just went down the road of what they call an independently build custom chopper needed a letter of permission which wasn't to painful and the usual engineering checks they supply a list of engineers to use if you want
Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
If you buy a kit can you still go down the ICV route?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:13 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Yes, you have to do an ICV no matter what you build, be it car or bike. It's an individually constructed vehicle.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
So Ive been going through the parts listing that I got from Randy and these are the items Im considering upgrading and/or changing. Comments and feedback are encouraged

1) Change the standard front end for Inverted Forks. Randy has siad they can supply Mid-USA BigUns. Ive looked at them online and they look good.
2) Upgrade the front rim for a 23 inch up from the 21 inch
3) Not sure at the rim selection, looking at either the Lawless, Testament or the Poker as the Widow to me has been done to death. Also looking at getting these chromed as well
4) Upgrade the standard shocks for Progressive ones. Not sure which ones though?
5) Trying to get a pic of the RPM forward controls. Not sure what these are like.
6) The kit comes with a pop up paint save gas tank. Might want a different one.
7) Im looking at these bars Iron Hawg Custom Chopper - The Godfather - YouTube
but will probably get the standard ones and look around for these.
8) Need to find out a pic on the chrome rubber grips. Im assuming these are the hand grips?
9) Change the seat to an alligator look cover
10) Changed the front fender for a 23 inch one for the new front rim. I like the bottom end of the current fender so will probably have to get this fab'd by someone in Perth
11) Need to look at all the indicator lights. I dont mind the front one. I got the current issue of Ozbike and on page 78 the dude has a frenched in license plate/brake light thing that he says and I quote "is one mechanism including the blinkers, taillight and brake light. You buy it from America and its about $600" Ive looked at the pic and for the life of me I cant see the where the indicator lights are or what model it is.
12) If I read it right, the clutch is cable driven. Id prefer a hydraulic one. Not sure if this is even possible.
13) A closed primary is quoted which Im not opposed to, but would like some pics before I make the call on it
14) I want to upgrade the 5000 series dakota digital speedo for a 7000 series one.
15) I want to put an oil cooler on too for those hot Perth days. Ive been quoted on a Jaggs one, but Im going to look around for something that is more hidden that putting it on the front part of the frame and being so visible
16) And Ive always liked the spike air cleaner. Cliched I know, but I like it

Comments/Suggestions/Feedback? Any are welcome and encouraged!

Thanks
Steve
Old 02-26-2012, 02:49 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
All that stuff sounds do-able. I'm pretty sure I have the handle grips and foot controls in my kit that they use for the SMW bike, I'll try find some pics if you want, I'm not even going to use them in the end, they don't really suit the look of my bike.

Pop up gas caps are cool, I've thought about getting one.

Those bars should be ok, you'll have to check with randy though if it'll pass our handle bar to seat measurement though. And I think they're called 'Z' bars.

I imagine hydraulic clutch is available, not sure if it matters if it's an open or closed primary.

I don;t think the spike would pass rego, as they'd probably say it's dangerous, but you can always change it after you rego it.

I'm changing all the lights on my bike from the ones I got in the kit, I'm going to use LED indicators on the front and rear, and a side mount brake light and license plate holder/light.

Oil cooler will be good, I'm going to do it ONLY if it can be hidden, possibly under the bike. Maybe ask Randy if there could be a spot where it can be hidden?

I'm also going to get after market temp, oil pressure gauges, and put them in semi hidden spots around the bike. I think I have dakota gauge too, which I'm going to put beside the fuel tank (not in the middle of the bars, unless I have to for rego.)

As for the rest, I don;t know enough about 23" rims, shockies and forks to say anything, other than I want a springer front end!