Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > Southern Motorcycle Works Inc Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 47
Views: 22,702
Eyes
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: 12-04-2019
Replies: 7
Views: 2,236
FXR / FLT Rigid builds?
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 12-02-2019
Replies: 9
Views: 3,699
Oil vs fuel vs transmission line?
Last Post: Am4wag
Posted On: 11-30-2019
Replies: 6
Views: 835
"the Flang Beater" 78 xs650
Last Post: KurseD
Posted On: 11-24-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 9,672
More...
Old 12-28-2010, 01:49 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Aussie Godfather build

Well the pallet arrived Christmas eve.

Unpacked and ready to start building watched the help DVD and it all looks good, I was a little disapointed i had front forks but no tripple tree upper and lower mounts so couldn't start the front. Oh well onto the rear pulled mounted the swing arm unpacked the wheel looks sweet but it has a brake rotor attached but I ordered a drive brake setup?.

Not sure if this means that the rear arm is incorrect as the brake mount tab is on the lhs and not the drive side? Also if the wheel is different, is it machined where the rotor sits? I guess the drive pulley must also be a different and have some sort of braking surface. The kit has a rear disc caliper and mounting hardware.

The seat also has a small tear which looks like it has pulled a bit tight over the base so also I am hoping this can be sorted also.

Still super keen and have 3 other guys that want to build similar kits and looks like I have a few extra volunteers to get the bike finished.

I emailed SMW and just waiting for a reply and from what everyone says Randy and his crew will sort everything out when they are back on deck.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2010, 04:13 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'll bump this back up, 62 veiws and nobody makes a comment. I think I know why. Not to sure where Mount Gardner, SA is but I think it's in Austraila. Not sure who SMW is but if they are in the US and they sent you the wrong parts and a ripped seat the first stuff you got from them then I think I'd send the whole lot back and ask for my money back. Just my .02
Old 12-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Plasterhead
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: '98 FXSTB
Not Ranked     
SMW is a good company, they'll make it right i'm sure. I have the same kraftech (godfather) frame and its very nice. I cant answer your brake question though, as mine is on the left side.
good luck with the build, show us some pics as you progress..
Old 12-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
There's a feature on one of these bikes in the latest "Chopper" magazine.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
More qestions

Hi just a question about the rear drive pulley.

I have a Southern Motorcycle 18x10.5 wheel thatI dont have the belt for yet. If i run a straight edge from the drive forward it touches the tread on the 300mm tyre is this normal? or will the pulley need to come a little further from the wheel. Just not sure if the belt runs on the outer section of the pulley or covers the whole lot.

Thanks in advance

Jonesy
Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008 124" S&S Pro Street, 2010 Road King
Not Ranked     
I completed my last build (loosely) based off of the Godfather with the same frame and wheel size. You will have about 1/8 - 3/16 of clearance when everything is alligned and propperly spaced. I suspect that if you are hitting the tire, then your trans is not square with the frame.

Be patient, check all the dimensions, measure twice (cut once) and you will find that everything fits.

Mak
C'mon Scary, theres a decending order of cool and WCC is at the top, we all know its true and the only thing that would make me cooler would be a bike with a vagina I could fuck start in front of 7-11 during a scratch off banaza sale. Cole 02/15/09
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 04:04 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks

Thanks Mak,

I havent fiutted the wheel in the frame this is just putting a ruler on the belt drive and checking tyre clearance. Waiting for more bits so just playing and measuring because its sitting in front of me.

Cheers
Old 01-09-2011, 09:45 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hi jonatyre,
I'm looking at getting the Aussie goghfather too.
How did you sort out the "compliance plates" for your ride?

Thanx mate
Old 01-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hi I need to get the bike engineered which is about 1500 then SA roadworthy I guess which is ?. I did speak to the enginners pre purchase and was told as long as the frame had a vin number I was ok. The Kraftech frames have a vin and are a recognized frame maker so he was ok with this.

I HOPE

Give me a call if you want any other info 0418818286

cheers
Old 01-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
If you run a straight edge accross your pulley and it hits the tire, the pulley would need to be spaced out more. Not sure why you don't have the drive belt, but mine is 1 1/2 inches which takes up the full width of the pulley. Having a brake incorporated into the pulley means that the lip on the pulley will be slightly thicker than a standard pulley. Your staight edge should be on the inside of that pully lip. If you still hit the tire, there's only two options, a thinner belt (and you better hope it doesn't walk) or spacing the pulley out. My wheel has a 5/16 spacer between the hub and pulley to get the belt out past the tire.

I haven't seen a response from you on the missing parts, but Randy is a good guy and will take care of you. Good luck with your build.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Parts and spacing

Hi cheers for the info, I spoke to Randy Sat morning and sorted the problems out. He has had issues with the rear drive brake setup and just sent the disc instead I guess it would have been nice for a email on what was happening. Randy has taken the money off a set of daisy cutters which I was going to get at a later date and also done them super cheap which is awsome. The rest of the bike is leaving in a week or so and takes around a week to get to me so not far away.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
just put some images up in the blog section Aussie Godfather or Jonatyre.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Anyone got pics of the splash gaurd mounted with the thunder heart?
Fitted to the bike.

Cheers
Old 02-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
just a quick question re the Godfather.
The rear gaurd has a sunken box into it, can i stcakc the wires in from the thunder heart? This way I dont have to run the wires up the centre tube. Also if I mount the motor and trans together can this be removed as one complete assembly? Or do I need to split the 2 again to remove them?
Cheers