Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > Southern Motorcycle Works Inc Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Eyes
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 7
Views: 2,217
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 12-02-2019
Replies: 45
Views: 22,570
FXR / FLT Rigid builds?
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 12-02-2019
Replies: 9
Views: 3,685
Oil vs fuel vs transmission line?
Last Post: Am4wag
Posted On: 11-30-2019
Replies: 6
Views: 824
"the Flang Beater" 78 xs650
Last Post: KurseD
Posted On: 11-24-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 9,647
More...
Old 07-16-2009, 05:36 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Rigid in the works
Neutral     
Quote:
Originally Posted by radkeela2 View Post
how hard is it going to be to get everything legal if i buy the kit or if i build it from buying the parts to build one?
Not hard at all, as long as you buy a reputible frame and have an MSO for the frame and motor and tranny won't be a big deal at all. I have kept every receipt I ever came across. You can build that bike exactly the way you want it and save $$$ It's a Kraftech frame and is readily available. Their front ends arent the greatest and softails shocks too. My point is you have all the tools here at clubchop to do it yourself. Nothing against SMW at all as long as you know you are paying for the convenience of the kit. Either way you can't go wrong, build it and you wont be sorry and may keep it forever!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
what shocks and other parts would you guys recommend?
Old 07-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Plasterhead
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: '98 FXSTB
Not Ranked     
...progressive shocks
Old 07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
i think im gonna go with the smw kit,i think its a good bang for your buck and i will build it then replace the shocks as i go,if i dont like the way they ride,also what about having a passenger on the back,what do i need to think about buying or modifying for the fender during mockup for when the wife wants to go for a ride?
Old 07-23-2009, 07:53 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL, Titan
Not Ranked     
Everything is already there. The Fender has 1/2 in internal struts. The mounts for passeger pegs are also there but you will need to purchase them. ONly other thing you would need is a lick n stick p pad.

Quote:
i think im gonna go with the smw kit,i think its a good bang for your buck and i will build it then replace the shocks as i go,if i dont like the way they ride,also what about having a passenger on the back,what do i need to think about buying or modifying for the fender during mockup for when the wife wants to go for a ride?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
WickedOne are you sure about the fender struts,because in there description it says 13in. strutless fender?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:32 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008 124" S&S Pro Street, 2010 Road King
Not Ranked     
Quote:
WickedOne are you sure about the fender struts,because in there description it says 13in. strutless fender?
It is, and the full length struts are welded to the inside of the rear fender shell.

No need to reinforce, the krafttech fender will support a passenger.
C'mon Scary, theres a decending order of cool and WCC is at the top, we all know its true and the only thing that would make me cooler would be a bike with a vagina I could fuck start in front of 7-11 during a scratch off banaza sale. Cole 02/15/09
Old 07-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Plasterhead
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: '98 FXSTB
Not Ranked     
...my fender has external welded on struts that mount to the side of the frame on each side under the seat.

Last edited by Boogeyman; 07-24-2009 at 05:45 AM..
Old 07-24-2009, 07:44 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL, Titan
Not Ranked     
Yep, When they say strutless they mean internal struts. The krafttech fenders are so strong that the 4 1/2 mounting bolts will shear before the fender bends. So unless your wofe weighs 400+ lbs don't worry about it.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
oh,ok that makes sense now,i didnt know that,so i just need a pad and footpegs then,the wife is tall,but she is definetly not heavy lol
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
how do you guys go about financing a bike kit,am i going to have a problem doing this with banks or is it seen as a manufactured bike?
Old 09-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
anybody that has built this kit,how does it ride,whats the qaulity and any other things you have to say about it,i have been looking at buying this kit,but want to hear frrom someone that has some exp. with it before i jump head first,also pics of your rides would be helpful also i would like to see my options,thanks in advance
g, day,
I spoke to Randy with regards to purchasing a Godfather model.
Very Helpful guy and a sound business.
Looking at the model which it is, it does not look that comfortable to ride over long distances.
100 cubic inch motor perfect for around city and the odd trip away.
124 Cubic Inch motor great for Draging but would drink the fuel and more in to Insure.plus more money to purchase.
It would be a good thing to ask the appropriate people in your state,country, what the regulations are with regards to Exhaust Decibels, lighting set up for number plates,indicators,etc plus Front Fork Angle Maximum measurement,handlebar width, drive chain / belt covers.
I have spent 2 days getting this info from my various government depts and now i have a better idea on what to order.
The lesson here is to do your homework thoroughly.
Hope this has helped.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I wouldn't buy it

mine was complete in 2010 and has eighty miles on it....the tank inner lining has collapsed and pieces went into the carb..the alignment of the wheel is hard and when using a 300 tire may need modification ,after eighty miles the 6-speed crappy ultima they give you already has to be opened up(they weren't to helpfull about that) and now just ran into someone at bike week with cracked frame...not to happy with the bike to say the least...the bike has been in the shop more than ridden...do not buy this pos
Old 06-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008 SMW Godfather
Not Ranked     
SMW Godfather

I did not build mine but purchased it 5 years ago. This bike has been flawless. It is simple and fast. My electric system includes ignition and lights. Nothing more. The fuel system is a simple S&S G carb. The engine simply runs and runs strong. I visited SMW in Ardmore, Oklahoma a few years ago to see the shop. They are great people and have a great product. Regarding the title and registration. My bike was originally titled in Nebraska with a Nebraska-assigned VIN. I now have it in Colorado and it was pretty simple to register. Insurance is cheap but Progressive will not do full coverage on a build. I just have the minimum liability to get it registered.