Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > West Coast Chopper Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Ultima 140
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: Today
Replies: 24
Views: 2,459
CfL top motor mount
Last Post: robertarner
Posted On: 03-07-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 791
Post up WCC Engraved Air Cleaner Pics
Last Post: Choppa
Posted On: 03-01-2024
Replies: 66
Views: 20,364
Drive Belt question for Iron Horse Judge
Last Post: veronawhite
Posted On: 02-28-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 485
More...
Old 10-08-2021, 09:19 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 CFL S&S 113; '23 FXLRST
Not Ranked     
Fender grommets

I would like to replace the fender grommets on my 2000 CFLs rear fender. Does anyone know where to find the right grommets for replacement? Thanks all.

After a closer look, are they just rubber washers? I see steel washers on the inside.

Last edited by muddychops; 10-09-2021 at 11:24 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2021, 03:16 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2007 custom bobber/ hybrid engine
Not Ranked     
Are they like tank grommets? Rubber with a steel sleeve?
Old 10-12-2021, 11:28 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Appreciate the response. Going to take a closer look with my mechanic when I get a chance. Long story short, for reasons that still need to be answered, my tire keeps coming in contact with the rear fender which has caused what looks like cracks in the paint near one bung and the fender is loose at the lower bung (where I hoped a new grommet or washers would help). Not sure right now if this fender can be saved or I will have to start looking
Old 10-12-2021, 05:12 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2007 custom bobber/ hybrid engine
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddychops View Post
Appreciate the response. Going to take a closer look with my mechanic when I get a chance. Long story short, for reasons that still need to be answered, my tire keeps coming in contact with the rear fender which has caused what looks like cracks in the paint near one bung and the fender is loose at the lower bung (where I hoped a new grommet or washers would help). Not sure right now if this fender can be saved or I will have to start looking
I just repaired a similar problem. One of my fender bolts worked loose. It was ok going forward but when you backed up the bolt would screw out and freeze the rear tire.

It's not a big job. If you have the tools you can probably handle it. A lift does come in handy on this kind of job.

What mechanic/shop are you using?
Old 10-13-2021, 01:36 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I do believe I want to take a shot at this. I took a quick look at lift options and there are a bunch. Can you recommend a cheap stand that will do the job? If I can get this on a lift, I will deflate the tire so I can get to the screws I need to and have a look. Worst case scenario, I can get the fender stable enough to get over to Skull Motoshop. Big thanks man
Old 10-23-2021, 10:44 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Any advantages of the hydrolic vs scissor jacks? Similarly priced at the low/mid range. Just want to be able to get wheels off and do simple maintenance for now...
Old 10-27-2021, 12:06 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Picked up a Pittsburg 1500 lb hydrolic lift reasonably priced. Pretty stoked on this lift right now. Got the bike up, wheel off, and fender snugged up. Couldn't find the hard rubber washers (not grommets) in the right size so I've got 2 rubber washers in place for now and fender feels solid. Lowe's and Home Depot can be a crap shoot when looking for nuts, bolts, washers, so I'm wondering if you guys have a more reliable option. Harbor Freight had the lift and seems like a good one for those 8:30 pm runs
Old 10-31-2021, 11:03 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Used a car jack to support the rear wheel for removal and wasn't expecting two small washers/spacers to fall. No problem getting spacers properly placed as I had pictures but these small washers came from inside?

I suspect the go with the axle bolt (not the axle) as the diameter is too small. If anyone knows, the Help is GREATLY appreciated. The job's been totally doable except for the little mishap.

I would also like to take the rubber washers off the fender and replaced with nylon or steel then some blue loktite, where you find this stuff?.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:28 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Fender is secured, went with steel washers. Spacers appear to have quietly fallen when I removed the brake caliper. After getting the wheel setup, brake pads were dragging on one side, that's when light bulb when on.

I also have an added problem I could use help with. About a 1/2 mile into a test ride, when I pulled over to check the rear brakes/rotor, I suddently lost use of the throttle. A stripped/locktited housing (thanks earlier owner) gave way. I am now ordering a new PM housing and need, either to learn to stop being an idiot, or to find a place that can supply things like a THROTTLE CABLE SPLIT BARREL that's compatible.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:36 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Found the little bastard resting neatly between the frame and a couple hoses...after cleaning the garage front to back looking for it
Old 04-28-2022, 09:24 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Are they like tank grommets? Rubber with a steel sleeve?
The tank grommets you mentioned, rubber with steel sleeves, are now also coming apart on my bike. Some of the links on this topic are dead and the ones that aren't, they appear to be out of stock. No shortage on ebay but getting the right ones is a concern, are the HD14477 I see everywhere the correct replacement for the Villain tank? Thanks as always

Last edited by muddychops; 04-28-2022 at 10:02 AM..
Old 05-09-2022, 08:03 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Going to go ahead and talk to myself to wrap this one up. Speed Dealer Customs for the tank are perfect and have the flanges which now seem a better setup vibration suppression-wise