Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > GENERAL CHOPPER TALK AREA > Chopper Builder's Log > Black Cloud Builds

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Ultima 140
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 24
Views: 2,473
CfL top motor mount
Last Post: robertarner
Posted On: 03-07-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 804
Post up WCC Engraved Air Cleaner Pics
Last Post: Choppa
Posted On: 03-01-2024
Replies: 66
Views: 20,376
Drive Belt question for Iron Horse Judge
Last Post: veronawhite
Posted On: 02-28-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 497
More...
Old 07-25-2006, 11:22 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopper,shovel
Not Ranked     
top tree for springer

help!!!! where can I find a top tree which is flat on top and bottom for what seems to be a harley springer (see my profile). I really would appreciate the help, iv bought two trees from catalog but the picture deceived me and they are not flat on the bottom and will not press down on the top bearing. Thanks ...Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2006, 12:22 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
sounds like what you have might be correct, but you dont have the right type of adjuster nut....which goes under the top tree.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopper,shovel
Not Ranked     
thanks for the help

So what your saying is there is a nut which fits under the tree, which will allow me to preload the bearing ? Then a seperat nut would hold down the tree? I apologize for the ignorance, but..its like chinese to me sometimes (to think i rebuild automatic trannys for a living) I have developed a deep respect for professional bike builders. Thanks for the help...Chris
Old 11-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
springer neck bearing adjustment

Hello Chris,
Being a master level mechanic for the motor company I thrive on ignorance. What you will want to do is take off the center nut on the top tree and loosen the pinch bolt. Then go down to your local harley dealer and get the exact bolt that is upside down in the top tree with three holes in it that are facing you. Once you get this nut find some needle bearings that fit in these holes and that will protrude out of them. glue them into the spare nut's holes then drop them into the three holes on the nut on your tree. Now you have a custom tool to adjust your bearing preload without dissasembling the top tree. Also remember to tighten the top nut {45 ft lbs)again before checking your fall away adjustment because it will slightly affect it.
Mike Durham
Old 11-21-2006, 11:47 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
he has a paughco type/vintage hd type inline straight raked springer that requires a paughco type castle nut which is about 1 1/4 inches tall. he had bought top trees that approximate this one.

he doesnt have a late model deraked HD springer with a 48306-88 type adjuster, i thrive on it too, but i hope he has it fixed by now since this was in august. but welcome to the club, snakeyes. eventually the gallery will come back up so you can see what i mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT5553.JPG (40.3 KB, 559 views)

Last edited by gypsy chopper; 11-21-2006 at 12:25 PM..
Old 12-15-2008, 03:38 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I think you have find your ans
Old 09-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Secure the springer fork to the rigid fork using tie wraps or other method. Reinstall the front fender. Be sure your protective padding is still on the fender. Lift and rotate the fender into position from the right side of the bike.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
where can I find a top tree which is flat on top and bottom for what seems to be a harley springer (see my profile). I really would appreciate the help, iv bought two trees from catalog but the picture deceived me and they are not flat on the bottom and will not press down on the top bearing. Thanks ...Chris Being a master level mechanic for the motor company I thrive on ignorance. What you will want to do is take off the center nut on the top tree and loosen the pinch bolt. Then go down to your local harley dealer and get the exact bolt that is upside down in the top tree with three holes in it that are facing you. Once you get this nut find some needle bearings that fit in these holes and that will protrude out of them. glue them into the spare nut's holes then drop them into the three holes on the nut on your tree. Now you have a custom tool to adjust your bearing preload without dissasembling the top tree. Also remember to tighten the top nut {45 ft lbs)again before checking your fall away adjustment because it will slightly affect it.Secure the springer fork to the rigid fork using tie wraps or other method. Reinstall the front fender. Be sure your protective padding is still on the fender. Lift and rotate the fender into position from the right side of the bike.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Try ebay or any online marketplace
Old 06-04-2023, 06:24 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymen View Post
Try ebay or any online marketplace
I think so, too. But finding what you want is not easy.