Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Ultima 140
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: Today
Replies: 24
Views: 2,459
CfL top motor mount
Last Post: robertarner
Posted On: 03-07-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 792
Post up WCC Engraved Air Cleaner Pics
Last Post: Choppa
Posted On: 03-01-2024
Replies: 66
Views: 20,364
Drive Belt question for Iron Horse Judge
Last Post: veronawhite
Posted On: 02-28-2024
Replies: 1
Views: 486
More...
Old 06-04-2023, 05:42 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
starter problems

All,

I'm finished with my latest build, and am having problems with my starter. I have a brand new 1.4kw starter, and I believe it's an Ultima, but I'm not sure. The guts look identical to an OEM EVO starter. I always use a direct starter button to make starting easier and simpler.

I'm running an Ultima 127, so of course, the starter has to work hard to turn this engine.

Th last time I tried to turn the motor, there was a tiny poof of smoke, and it now will not even click at the starter. I looked inside the solenoid, and all of the copper contact points look new without any burnt contact points. I tested continuity from battery to starter post, but still nothing at the starter.

I'm trying to avoid pulling the starter if possible because it is a HUGE pain to get in and out with very little clearance. What should I check next?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2023, 05:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006 Buell Blast
Send a message via Yahoo to Spade115
Not Ranked     
Are you running compression release on the motor? I know some bigger engines, if they arent cleared, wont even turn.

Could be that, or your battery is low. Do you have a jump starter? (I use an Antigravity Xp10)
Grease
Quote:
Originally Posted by apehangeralfy View Post
When I roll by cows in the winter, they get jealous:
LBS
Old 06-06-2023, 04:27 PM
Know Nothing
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2007 custom bobber/ hybrid engine
Not Ranked     
Ya got to check power at the starter when you push the button..

Did it ever start the engine ?
Old 07-29-2023, 09:42 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfish View Post
Ya got to check power at the starter when you push the button..

Did it ever start the engine ?
It did before I replaced the polished case 6 speed transmission with a Primo chrome one.

I replaced the starter with a 2.0 Spyke starter, which is known to be good. I also placed a secondary ground to one of the starter mounting bolts and tapped and mounted it directly to the frame. This starter will not turn. I suspect that it’s because it’s a chrome starter mounted to a chrome transmission and isn’t making a good ground. What else can I do?
Old 07-29-2023, 01:09 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005 custom built chop 113" s&s
Not Ranked     
If you are getting power to the starter and have been using the solenoid button before, I would make sure your engine is turning freely with the plugs out. You said you replaced the transmission, so in the process of reinstalling the primary, just make sure nothing is binding on the ring gear or the stator rotor. Not sure what came off when you did the job, but it’s at least one more thing to look at. Also, have you tried an entirely different battery? Sometimes I’ve seen them test out fine, but still have no juice to spin. If you don’t have comp releases, I would absolutely get those installed…..makes life so much easier for the battery/starter. In terms of ground issues caused by the chrome, I certainly wouldn’t think that would be the culprit. It seems like you’ve addressed about everything else, keep us updated on what you find.
Old 07-29-2023, 04:45 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
the engine spins freely and does have compression releases. Even if the engine was locked up, you would still hear the starter attempt to turn the ring gear on the clutch basket.

In my experience, even if the battery is weak, it would at least push out the starter a little. It has good lights, brakes and the ignition light in the nose cone has power.

I tested the power inlet on the starter from the battery and it has 12 volts. What else could it be besides a ground? Iĺl take some jumper cables tomorrow and see if I can get a better ground on the engine or somewhere else.
Old 07-30-2023, 02:06 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Pro street 121" TP and 100" rigid Shovel
Not Ranked     
Double up on your ground leads
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2023, 10:27 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
doubled up on the grounds and replaced the Chinese lithium battery and it roles quickly. Now if I could only fix the grinding jackshaft, the missing cylinder when the engine heats up, and a weird noise on the primary side I think is the rotor needing a shim up front...