Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
I'm Baaaaaaaack...
Last Post: pushrod243
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 2
Views: 245
10 My First Build... an 06 CFL 2Up 2Out
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 26
Views: 786
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: axeychrome
Posted On: 10-23-2020
Replies: 28
Views: 1,298
Teardrop Gas Tank Replacement
Last Post: R1_4Life
Posted On: 10-22-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 71
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 10-21-2020
Replies: 41
Views: 1,795
More...
Old 11-03-2011, 04:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1942 Harley 45 Magnum
Not Ranked     
the reason the nose/slab (Kidney) cover was produced was to give you a better choice of ignition types,it will take an end Magneto,or points or electronic if ya want....
they were a much sought after bit of aftermarket accessory....
very cool bit of kit here in the ''new Century''....
as it isn't a std harley Motor,in fact quite a trick motor, I'd be inclined to keep it,I have only seen them in magazines from the 70's....
it will certainly get people talking about it.
The more I look,the more I think they are S.T.D. made cases....My Knucklehead had S.T.D. cases and as I remember the motor number was where it is on yours,plus they are visualy thicker around the Right side where the cam cover fits the cases....S.T.D. were renowned for Heavy duty quality cases.......
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2011, 04:22 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Definately a Sputhe cover.

Pull that hose off the drain routed into the distributor hole and run it to see if oil is draining out of the heads.
Drain some oil out of the tank until it's about 1/3 full just to rule out several things.
Pull the return to tank to see if the motor is pumping out.

You need to rule a few things out, and check a few things, in a methodical manner probobly starting with oil line routing in general, physical obstructions, and oil level, pump operation, and filter plumbing.

The excess oil up top is easy to rectify, but you need to be 100% on everything else before a proper fix is applied.

Last edited by gypsy chopper; 11-03-2011 at 02:21 PM..
Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Forgot to mention a thing or two...alot of the time...leaky panhead rocker boxes are just leaky panhead rockerboxes. New gaskets might be called for.
Also if it sumps oil, it might take a few minutes to synch back up, and have oil issues until it does...sumping is easy enough to check for.

Probobly STD cases, alt/gen, and having the vertical ribs on the left case...without looking around too much, just a guess since it obviously not brandy new.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2011, 04:54 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Not that it matters much but 5/16 oil line isn't super optimum.
Good luck!
Old 11-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Rigid ShovelPan
Not Ranked     
Alright, so I did what gypsy recommended, verify oil line routing, pump in and flow out. The seals themselves are fine, the leaking is coming from the cover bolts. I am running 60wt, 1/4" supply lines with 3/8" return. The leaking appears to be mainly at the exhaust side of the operation. I'm about to pull the engine so I can re seal the top end and ensure all the return passages are as open as possible.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:31 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Has the look of an increased bore engine. Check the passages from heads, thru the head gasket, and down into the case while you have it apart if possible.

Use a sealant on the rocker gaskets, check the bottom of the rocker covers to make sure they are flat etc. I use PSD or similar type pipe dope on the bolts for locktite.

The top end oil feed can be metered down, but you need to look it all over first, and try a few things to be sure, likely needs it with that later model shovel oil pump. Personally I don't run 60 in a motor like that, with the later flywheels, not with that type of pump pushing more pressure than an original cast pump would. Might try 20/50 and see if it does the same, and then up it gradually to see if it gets cloggy.

Pooling at the exhaust, is where it's gonna pool no doubt, so that's where it's gonna leak.

Does it sump oil past the check ball in the pump and fill up the cases whenever it sits?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy chopper View Post
Has the look of an increased bore engine. Check the passages from heads, thru the head gasket, and down into the case while you have it apart if possible.

Use a sealant on the rocker gaskets, check the bottom of the rocker covers to make sure they are flat etc. I use PSD or similar type pipe dope on the bolts for locktite.

The top end oil feed can be metered down, but you need to look it all over first, and try a few things to be sure, likely needs it with that later model shovel oil pump. Personally I don't run 60 in a motor like that, with the later flywheels, not with that type of pump pushing more pressure than an original cast pump would. Might try 20/50 and see if it does the same, and then up it gradually to see if it gets cloggy.

Pooling at the exhaust, is where it's gonna pool no doubt, so that's where it's gonna leak.

Does it sump oil past the check ball in the pump and fill up the cases whenever it sits?
It measures out to 98 CI, the bike had 20/50 in it before I started trying to fix this leaking, ended up covering the rider behind me in oil! As for the sumping, it has on occasion puked from the breather but in the last week with running it daily no issues. I may pull apart the pump and inspect/ replace the check ball and seat.

When replacing the gaskets up top do you recommend a sealer be applied? Those gaskets are brand new, and they seal fine it seems to be oozing from the studs.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1942 Harley 45 Magnum
Not Ranked     
best off starting from scratch,take apart as far as ya feel the leaks are,
clean it,
dry it all,
use good quality gaskets,
I use HYLOMAR on the threads,
torque up to spec,
use a straight 50 or 60oil,
3/8 I.D. oil lines
blue silicon pushrod tube seals and ya should be good to go.....don't forget to re-torque all screws and bolts after 100 miles or so when it's all settled...
Old 11-03-2011, 05:43 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbshea View Post
When replacing the gaskets up top do you recommend a sealer be applied? Those gaskets are brand new, and they seal fine it seems to be oozing from the studs.
98" is a tough motor if it's 4 13/16 stroke.
RTV or Hylomar on the gaskets if they are paper/fiber.
If the gaskets weren't at least weeping somewhat....the oil wouldn't even be reaching those bolt holes. Something to consider.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I agree, I think the best course of action will be to start fresh. Was hoping not to have to tear into it but I think the peace of mind will be worth the time. One last thing to consider, the return line runs to the distributor block off plate, is this the norm or should it be routed differently?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:16 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
More common would be to return oil on the other side, into the timing plug hole. But it shouldn't be a problem as long as the line isn't kinked and it's flowing/draining isn't restricted .