Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
I'm Baaaaaaaack...
Last Post: pushrod243
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 2
Views: 242
10 My First Build... an 06 CFL 2Up 2Out
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 26
Views: 786
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: axeychrome
Posted On: 10-23-2020
Replies: 28
Views: 1,298
Teardrop Gas Tank Replacement
Last Post: R1_4Life
Posted On: 10-22-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 71
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 10-21-2020
Replies: 41
Views: 1,795
More...
Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Clutch Help Please Ultimat 127 2" Open

Its new 1,000 miles

clutch lever got loose so i read on here and learned how to adjust it proper at the clutch and at the lever

had it perfectly adjusted then i take off to test and after a few stops it lets loose completely...fun pushing it to get enough speed to clunk it into gear without killing it from a stop light

did this cycle a few times...i can adjust it adn it'll work fine then lets loose after a bit of riding

now the adjustment screw seems to be going away from me...it is only engaging about 1/2 the lock nut now

help please
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 09:27 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010 Custom EVO
Not Ranked     
Make sure you are making your adjustments on a cold clutch pack. If adjusting and riding have a beer between adjustments! And if you have a mid-cable adjustment make sure you loosen the cable (make it longer) before you adjust the pushrod. Other than that check your clutch pushrod. In the photo below the longer rod #9 needs to be greased real well on the end where it fits into rod #10, if not it can get chewed up making it shorter over time.

Also make sure you didn't unintentionally move the ramp (on the right side under the clutch cover) as if it's not in the right position it can may cause the issues you're having. How it gets moved out of position is someone squeezing the clutch lever when the clutch cable is slack.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:36 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to purpleride
Not Ranked     
i had a through out bearing go out and it was causing ajustment problems u might check that
Old 10-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Club Chopper Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom
Send a message via Yahoo to pushrod243
Not Ranked     
I would pull the clutch pushrod and inspect the inner end if its gawled and blued the throwout bearing needs to be replaced. Its very easy to kill the TO bearing its just a thin wafer washer with tiny rollers.
Suite 104
Sorrento, FL 32776
www.scootersperformance.com
(four0seven)330-2056

Old 10-27-2011, 06:05 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
thanks guys
Old 10-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Took the right side apart. The throwout bearing looks toast and the retaining circlip.

I can't guarantee the ramp was in right because I don't know exactly how it's supposed to be.

I have ordered new parts from Jireh and hopefully can get it back together with the Ultima manual.

Any ideas why a TO bearing would go so soon (800miles)? Something I am doing wrong on adjustment?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I didn't notice the blueing on the inner end of the push rod, but it did have some minor shavings gawled a bit. i ordered a new push rod with the TO bearing...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2011, 05:04 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to purpleride
Not Ranked     
the to bearing going out was more than likely caused by improper clutch adj. If you dont have a little free play in your clutch lever its will constantly have the pressure on the to bearing and they arent designed for that. I do know that harley davidsons will work in an ultima trans. make sure you relplace the thrust washers too not just the bearing.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The reason for adjusting for "free-play" at the clutch lever is to ensure the throw out bearing is not turning all the time. An incorrectly adjusted clutch will have the small bearing turning under load longer than it can live and kill the bearing and even destroy the pushrod.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks guys. Makes sense to me.

I probably did adjust it too tight, because I liked the idea of the lever not being floppy.

But, I thought it was getting pretty loose - to the point of having no clutch even before I adjusted it the very first time. So, it seems like there may have been an issue before I killed it completely!

I will put it together with the new parts; TO bearing, thrust washers, pushrod (I orderd a new one because it got marked a little), etc. adjust it correctly and see how long she holds on.

I am glad to hear that the HD bearing will work too, because Jireh was back ordered on it and I wasn't sure where to get the Ultima piece.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:22 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008 War Eagle, 113" S&S
Not Ranked     
Don't forget to grease the pushrod, as it doesn't get lubed by the trans oil.