Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 05-17-2022
Replies: 116
Views: 29,579
Rucker performance gauntlet seat
Last Post: GREENEDONNIE
Posted On: 05-16-2022
Replies: 0
Views: 79
Nation Wide Events Schedules With Details
Last Post: OfficialBigDog
Posted On: 05-11-2022
Replies: 0
Views: 45
2012 RevTech compression release
Last Post: shinbentley
Posted On: 05-10-2022
Replies: 3
Views: 626
Fender grommets
Last Post: muddychops
Posted On: 05-09-2022
Replies: 11
Views: 1,299
More...
Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopper
Send a message via AIM to ewp1954
Not Ranked     
roadmax 6 speed trans

who makes these??? and are they any good???????
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2011, 03:44 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 04' TEXAS CHOPPER 124ci.
Not Ranked     
They're made by Dae Poong out of Korea and sold as Roadmax here in the states. American Ironhorse put them in their bikes from late 2003 and up. Isolated troubles with the tranny locking up and possibly shearing teeth.

I have one in my 2004 AIH bike with an S&S 124ci motor....and I've beat on it pretty good, no troubles thus far. I would suggest if you buy one to change the factory tranny lube out with some good synthetic from Red Line or BelRay ect.

They (Roadmax) have sold a shitload of them, so don't let a little bad press scare you off. I've also heard of Jim's & Baker's having troubles too................
Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopper
Send a message via AIM to ewp1954
Not Ranked     
thanks????????????????????
Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
They are not too bad.. BUT they are out of business so replacement parts are about gone. Some stuff is inter changable but the shift forks and shift cam are proprietary items and can not be found.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 06 Dragon 330,113 S&S
Not Ranked     
My first one started popping out of 3rd gear,the bike was under warranty so they installed another one for free,after 10,000 mi.the second one is doing it too,if I try to grab a handful of throttle.I wouldn't recommend one.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 american iron horse legend
Not Ranked     
Got 18000 on mine.No problems.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:14 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: shovel chopper
Not Ranked     
i thing thats the key, there out of business so parts will hard to find for repairs. look for a tranny that is still in business like baker, ultima, revtech and a few others
Old 10-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 roadking 90-93xl 96 xl bobber
Not Ranked     
It was a Baker knock off anyways, with inferior parts. Glad they went tits up.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 131 C.I. S&S Custom Engine
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewp1954 View Post
who makes these??? and are they any good???????
Foriegn Made Korean JUNK and Worthless as a transmission in any Big Inch American V-twin.
.They are NOT reccomended or endorsed by any S&S Dealer like myself to be run with a S&S Engine-although they *were* installed for a short time with American Ironhorse production units-they numbered under 217 in total trannys installed on those bikes and shipped to dealers.
They are made with cheap parts,worthless tooling and inferior materials and I reccomend you avoid them, at all costs.You aren't saving any money by buying JUNK especially a roadmax unit.I've worked on them and seen the innards on many occasions and I'm not impressed in the least.

I AM A BAKER DRIVETRAIN DEALER-And BAKER Stands behind ALL thier Products 1000% ,they are Made In America by Americans and designed to handle and withstand many ft.pounds of Torque and Horsepower delivered by a Good Engine(such as S&S ,TP and a few others).
Good Work is Not Cheap-Cheap Work is Not Good.
Avoid saving a few dollars and buying JUNK-Buy a BAKER Transmission to go with that S&S Motor and you'll be Glad,Happy & Ecstatic that you did.

Oh by the way....I have NEVER had ANY BAKER Transmission recalls,problems,customers w/issues or mechanical problems,failures and scenarios with ANY BAKER Transmission,Belt Drive or Product that BAKER makes or has made.
I've dealt with and carried their line for 7 years now-and I DONT SELL Anything Else regardless of the price or deal offered to me by the factorys.

Vince
VS Customs
Huntington CT
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: xs 1100
Not Ranked     
So... Baker's pretty good, then?

1978 XS 1100 E
Old 10-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: shovel chopper
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joceiphus01 View Post
So... Baker's pretty good, then?
over priced but excellent product
Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005 harley
Not Ranked     
baker is the best there is but you pay for it.well worth the money.what ever you buy be sure you get the mso for it.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 04' TEXAS CHOPPER 124ci.
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince81World View Post
Foriegn Made Korean JUNK and Worthless as a transmission in any Big Inch American V-twin.
.They are NOT reccomended or endorsed by any S&S Dealer like myself to be run with a S&S Engine-although they *were* installed for a short time with American Ironhorse production units-they numbered under 217 in total trannys installed on those bikes and shipped to dealers.
They are made with cheap parts,worthless tooling and inferior materials and I reccomend you avoid them, at all costs.You aren't saving any money by buying JUNK especially a roadmax unit.I've worked on them and seen the innards on many occasions and I'm not impressed in the least.

I AM A BAKER DRIVETRAIN DEALER-And BAKER Stands behind ALL thier Products 1000% ,they are Made In America by Americans and designed to handle and withstand many ft.pounds of Torque and Horsepower delivered by a Good Engine(such as S&S ,TP and a few others).
Good Work is Not Cheap-Cheap Work is Not Good.
Avoid saving a few dollars and buying JUNK-Buy a BAKER Transmission to go with that S&S Motor and you'll be Glad,Happy & Ecstatic that you did.

Oh by the way....I have NEVER had ANY BAKER Transmission recalls,problems,customers w/issues or mechanical problems,failures and scenarios with ANY BAKER Transmission,Belt Drive or Product that BAKER makes or has made.
I've dealt with and carried their line for 7 years now-and I DONT SELL Anything Else regardless of the price or deal offered to me by the factorys.

Vince
VS Customs
Huntington CT
I fully expect you to stand stand behind & endorse what you sell....I do the same. I'll also tell you that AIH installed WAY more than 217 Roadmax trannies in their bikes over the years.

I'm pushing 125+hp to mine and until she goes tits up I'll back it. After that I may call it junk like you
Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I had a roadmax 6 speed on my 05 tejas. 111 s&s. tranny gears went to shit. had 3200 miles on the bike. Swapped it out for a Baker 6 speed.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:51 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 131 C.I. S&S Custom Engine
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange skullz View Post
I fully expect you to stand stand behind & endorse what you sell....I do the same. I'll also tell you that AIH installed WAY more than 217 Roadmax trannies in their bikes over the years.

I'm pushing 125+hp to mine and until she goes tits up I'll back it. After that I may call it junk like you
According to a very well respected & AIH dealer in the Great State of Texas-his factory spec sheet and warranty manifest says the number of AIH bikes that had those transmissions in them came to a total of 217(not in his shop-but total production bikes equipped with that tranny).
I wont dispute it to start an argument here-I'm just relaying what I'm told by a fellow Builder/Dealer.

To answer the question above of Is BAKER a Good Transmission...? :
Its The finest Transmission Made,yes it's Expensive,the Warranty & Customer Service is THE BEST IN THE INDUSTRY,The Materials they are ALL made from as well as the Labor,Tooling & Craftsmanship are 100% American and the performance is UINSURPASSED .
No other Transmission(or Drivetrain Components for American Made V-Twin Motors) is capable of the Torque or H.P. Rating that BAKER is Capable of.

Just as a matter of record.....My engines are pushing well above 164 Horsepower(on our in house Dyno)-and the BAKER Beltdrives,Transmissions and the 3 FFF (Function Formed Primarys) and the DSSC Systems(Drop Starter-Slam Clutch Primarys) have never hiccuped,"whined" or misperformed in many many Drag races and hard street riding.
Good Work Is not Cheap-cheap work is NOT GOOD....but you get your moneys worth with any BAKER Transmission or Primary Drivetrain component.

In closing.....I'd just like to say that I've been working on & building S&S Engine equipped bikes for quite a while and I like to steer people the right way and in the direction to avoid a bad experience in the future.
Wether they Buy from Me or another reputable dealer-is OK ,but I'll reccomend what I know is the best products for applications that I was taught at S&S 's school and also MMI.
The H.P. & Torque stress those engines put out-as well as TP and Patrick Racing and H&L,Enginuity,Hyperformance,JIMS,Zippers and STD ALL NEED a strong well designed transmission to avoid disastrous breakdown in the drivetrain.

I wont discuss or tell you what I think of the Ultima(Midwest Motorcycle Supply) and other Inferior & Foriegn made engines.
But thanx for letting me rant-Have a Great Day Dudes.

Vince