Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
new oz member
Last Post: 300 club
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 7
Views: 496
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 05-26-2022
Replies: 117
Views: 30,006
Ignition box terminals
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 05-26-2022
Replies: 6
Views: 80
Rucker performance gauntlet seat
Last Post: GREENEDONNIE
Posted On: 05-16-2022
Replies: 0
Views: 146
Nation Wide Events Schedules With Details
Last Post: OfficialBigDog
Posted On: 05-11-2022
Replies: 0
Views: 78
More...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 roadking 90-93xl 96 xl bobber
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince81World View Post
According to a very well respected & AIH dealer in the Great State of Texas-his factory spec sheet and warranty manifest says the number of AIH bikes that had those transmissions in them came to a total of 217(not in his shop-but total production bikes equipped with that tranny).
I wont dispute it to start an argument here-I'm just relaying what I'm told by a fellow Builder/Dealer.

To answer the question above of Is BAKER a Good Transmission...? :
Its The finest Transmission Made,yes it's Expensive,the Warranty & Customer Service is THE BEST IN THE INDUSTRY,The Materials they are ALL made from as well as the Labor,Tooling & Craftsmanship are 100% American and the performance is UINSURPASSED .
No other Transmission(or Drivetrain Components for American Made V-Twin Motors) is capable of the Torque or H.P. Rating that BAKER is Capable of.

Just as a matter of record.....My engines are pushing well above 164 Horsepower(on our in house Dyno)-and the BAKER Beltdrives,Transmissions and the 3 FFF (Function Formed Primarys) and the DSSC Systems(Drop Starter-Slam Clutch Primarys) have never hiccuped,"whined" or misperformed in many many Drag races and hard street riding.
Good Work Is not Cheap-cheap work is NOT GOOD....but you get your moneys worth with any BAKER Transmission or Primary Drivetrain component.

In closing.....I'd just like to say that I've been working on & building S&S Engine equipped bikes for quite a while and I like to steer people the right way and in the direction to avoid a bad experience in the future.
Wether they Buy from Me or another reputable dealer-is OK ,but I'll reccomend what I know is the best products for applications that I was taught at S&S 's school and also MMI.
The H.P. & Torque stress those engines put out-as well as TP and Patrick Racing and H&L,Enginuity,Hyperformance,JIMS,Zippers and STD ALL NEED a strong well designed transmission to avoid disastrous breakdown in the drivetrain.

I wont discuss or tell you what I think of the Ultima(Midwest Motorcycle Supply) and other Inferior & Foriegn made engines.
But thanx for letting me rant-Have a Great Day Dudes.

Vince
So where are Ultima motors made ? Says in the catalog that the castings are poured in U.S. foundries, but nothing else. Just curious.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:00 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010 Custom EVO
Not Ranked     
Yeah but, man! Just the Baker Builder's Kit is around $3000! In the case it's four grand! I know Baker has the high end part of the market cornered and it's a great transmission.

But for us paycheck to paycheck saps banging away in our garages a Baker OD6 is a pipe dream.

What we need is a decent eight hundred dollar Baker transmission! Call it the "Baker Poor Boy" and just fire some of those Baker Vice Presidents to make it happen. After all, we're all cutting back out here . . .

Last edited by NickD; 10-12-2011 at 09:03 AM..
Old 10-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I have a roadmax in my ironhorse no problems yet. Had something funky happen with my clutch once. But it worked itself out. Just about all AIH 07 and below had the roadmax, atleast everyone Ive seen on the net. I'm just over the 3k mark. I know they have had problems. But go to the big dog sites and you'll see that baker have had their share too. So if I can buy 3 roadmax's for the price of 1 baker. I may take my chances with the roadmax and do the work myself.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Texas Chopper 111 S&S
Not Ranked     
roadmax trans

HI!

I've got a 2004 AIH Texas Chopper with 19K+ miles on it. It has the stock roadmax. The only thing with this is it 'clunks' into each gear (except 2nd?). It sounds like most other Harleys out there when it shifts. A heavy metalllic sound.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Bill Vincent
Hartville, Ohio
Old 10-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 131 C.I. S&S Custom Engine
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Tejas View Post
I had a roadmax 6 speed on my 05 tejas. 111 s&s. tranny gears went to shit. had 3200 miles on the bike. Swapped it out for a Baker 6 speed.
Very Smart and Intelligent Man-I give you alot of credit for deciding to GO with a Quality USA Unit for your fine engine....as well as the commitment to a GREAT V-Twin Drivetrqain Component.
I Know the consumers financial and personal end on these decisions(especially nowadays with the monkey in the white house and the ensuing debacle that faces ALL Hard Working Americans Today) and I applaud YOU for doing the good/Right thing in deciding to go with a USA Made and Designed BAKER Transmission.
You'll NEVER Regret it Bud.
Lots Of Luck and feel Free to ask ME (or any other BAKER Dealer) questions of the technical or mechanical nature...I'd Be HAPPY To Help you Out-But the FINE People At BAKER are Always There to answer even the smallest and insignificant questions of any nature regarding your Drivetrain unit/Transmission or the products that they make.
Good Luck and I applaud you Once More for Buying BAKER DRIVETRAIN.
Regards,
Vince
Old 10-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 76 FXE
Not Ranked     
Since the original question was about a Roadmax trans I'm gonna offer my .02 here. The roadmax is fine, it's on par with other entry level transmissions(Ultima, Revtech), it's rock solid for normal riding and will last a long time which makes them a good value. If you want a little more durability at an increased cost the stock Harley trans will take a beating from fairly high horsepower engines and can last you a lifetime, also a good value. Baker is top notch, smooth shifting, strong as hell and expensive. If you have big power and plan to beat the dogsnot outta your bike then Baker is the way to go, however, for the regular guy who does allot of regular riding with 60-90 horses then the Baker trans is more than you need and the extra money spent will have been unnecessary, unless you need the Baker name on your bike, then I say, go for it.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: VTX1800 Trike, building Covington trike
Not Ranked     
Well I just purchased a Baker F5R from John at Scooters for my trike build, and as far as price is concerned, it was far from $800, but it wasn't the $4000 someone posted earlier. I got mine for $2500 and it was a LSD full five speed tranny WITH a reverse gear. Deals are out there if you look and do your research. Is $2500 cheap? NO.... not at all, but I know I bought something that will last, and not be a weak link in my build. Just my .02
Old 10-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom Chopper
Not Ranked     
I have a RoadMax in my chopper and so far so good.

ExDevils Website
Old 10-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: xs 1100
Not Ranked     
So how do I become a BAKER DRIVETRAIN dealer?
Do I have to go to a BAKER DRIVETRAIN re-educa.. I mean school to become a BAKER DRIVETRAIN dealer, and spread the word about BAKER products, and that BAKER is made in the USA, by AMERICANS which in turn supports AMERICAN FAMILIES employed by BAKER DRIVETRAIN because that's what BAKER does employs AMERICANS and HAULS ASS!?

1978 XS 1100 E
Old 10-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 76 FXE
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joceiphus01 View Post
So how do I become a BAKER DRIVETRAIN dealer?
Do I have to go to a BAKER DRIVETRAIN re-educa.. I mean school to become a BAKER DRIVETRAIN dealer, and spread the word about BAKER products, and that BAKER is made in the USA, by AMERICANS which in turn supports AMERICAN FAMILIES employed by BAKER DRIVETRAIN because that's what BAKER does employs AMERICANS and HAULS ASS!?
I like to consider myself a connoisseur of sarcasm...that was a top notch post my friend
Old 10-12-2011, 06:04 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: which one
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince81World View Post
According to a very well respected & AIH dealer in the Great State of Texas-his factory spec sheet and warranty manifest says the number of AIH bikes that had those transmissions in them came to a total of 217(not in his shop-but total production bikes equipped with that tranny).
I wont dispute it to start an argument here-I'm just relaying what I'm told by a fellow Builder/Dealer.

To answer the question above of Is BAKER a Good Transmission...? :
Its The finest Transmission Made,yes it's Expensive,the Warranty & Customer Service is THE BEST IN THE INDUSTRY,The Materials they are ALL made from as well as the Labor,Tooling & Craftsmanship are 100% American and the performance is UINSURPASSED .
No other Transmission(or Drivetrain Components for American Made V-Twin Motors) is capable of the Torque or H.P. Rating that BAKER is Capable of.

Just as a matter of record.....My engines are pushing well above 164 Horsepower(on our in house Dyno)-and the BAKER Beltdrives,Transmissions and the 3 FFF (Function Formed Primarys) and the DSSC Systems(Drop Starter-Slam Clutch Primarys) have never hiccuped,"whined" or misperformed in many many Drag races and hard street riding.
Good Work Is not Cheap-cheap work is NOT GOOD....but you get your moneys worth with any BAKER Transmission or Primary Drivetrain component.

In closing.....I'd just like to say that I've been working on & building S&S Engine equipped bikes for quite a while and I like to steer people the right way and in the direction to avoid a bad experience in the future.
Wether they Buy from Me or another reputable dealer-is OK ,but I'll reccomend what I know is the best products for applications that I was taught at S&S 's school and also MMI.
The H.P. & Torque stress those engines put out-as well as TP and Patrick Racing and H&L,Enginuity,Hyperformance,JIMS,Zippers and STD ALL NEED a strong well designed transmission to avoid disastrous breakdown in the drivetrain.

I wont discuss or tell you what I think of the Ultima(Midwest Motorcycle Supply) and other Inferior & Foriegn made engines.
But thanx for letting me rant-Have a Great Day Dudes.

Vince
1 thing wanna race me : )
Old 10-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: American Ironhorse, 2003, S&S 107
Not Ranked     
I have a Roadmax in my 2003 Texas Chopper, 11,000 miles no problems at all knock on wood. Its behind a stock S&S 107 and does fine. I don't ride the bike hard, its just a cruiser. I really don't see the point of trying to make horsepower on an air cooler Harley type engine. If you want to go fast spend 4K and buy a used crotch rocket.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to purpleride
Not Ranked     
baker is like snap on tools u pay for the name. is a snap on wrench better than a craftsmen everybody has there problems if ur a dealer and cant come in here and be respectful of other companies then stay in your shop!! Ive ran revtech engines and trannys and ultima engines and trannys and ran them hard and still do and i other bike has an s&s and run it hard but i wont knock a one of them yea they all have there problems now and then kinda like the hole deal between ford chevy dodge deal who is better isnt a one better.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Missing Custom build, AIH replacement
Not Ranked     
Tranny

My roadmax went out on me at 7000 miles in my 05 Texas chopper, it was either 2nd & 3rd gear or 3rd & 4th gears were screwed up. There was a company out in California that bought them out or all the parts out & they will rebuild the tranny for you or they can get parts that will fit? I'll have to see if I can dig up there name. Baker wasnt a option for me at the time cause of the $$ thing, I ended up using a Rivera Primo or Primo Rivera, whatever there name is now. From what I've been told your RevTechs, Ultima, RoadMax & Rivera are all cast & made over seas? So i guess bwtween the 4 of them there pretty much on the same level. Active Spring tech corp is the name

Last edited by slayrr40; 10-12-2011 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: add info
Old 10-13-2011, 04:37 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Sucker Punch Sally's Swedish hardtail
Not Ranked     
Hi guys. here is the "RoadMax website link.
OnLine Catalogs
I will say that there customer support is very good.
Contact Louis Wu. They have trany parts.
good luck
joe
Sponsored Links