Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: axeychrome
Posted On: Today
Replies: 28
Views: 1,208
10 My First Build... an 06 CFL 2Up 2Out
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: Today
Replies: 25
Views: 685
Teardrop Gas Tank Replacement
Last Post: R1_4Life
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 43
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 10-21-2020
Replies: 41
Views: 1,759
New CFL acquisition...
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: 10-18-2020
Replies: 3
Views: 306
More...
Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2012 "overbudget", w/ a 127ci, 6speed
Not Ranked     
Offset problems....

This may be a simple problem but considering this is my first build, I want to make the right decisions. I am currently building a 250 LSD ridged chopper with a 127ci Ultima and a 6 speed Ultima trans. I have lined up the rear wheel to the frame and squared the motor in place. The problem I am having is, the rear pulley is 5/8" out from the trans pulley. I do not have a open belt primary yet but plan on getting the Ultima street. Do I offset the trans to met the rear pulley? Thus needing to offset the primary pulley?. The rear rim is 18x8.5 with a Dunlap 250 tire. I had to space the pulley to barely clear the tire. Any suggestions will be of great help! thanks
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
what you need is a 5/8 offset tranny sprocket. measure for a motor offset sprocket before you order the belt drive
Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I am running a final belt drive... The trans that I purchased had a pulley on it already. I took a straight edge along side the rear belt pulley and lined it with the pulley on trans. 5/8" difference. I looked everywhere for a offset trans pulley but was only able to find one for Baker trans. Would an offset for the ultima trans cause problems with the spindle and internal parts?... Forgive me, just trying to figure this all out.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I purchased a re-manufactured 6 speed Ultima that had a belt pulley on it already. My rear is set up for a belt as well. I can not find an offset pulley for this trans.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:19 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008 War Eagle, 113" S&S
Not Ranked     
Assuming your measurement is correct, the way I see it you are looking at a 1/2" primary offset (usually available in 1/4" increments), a 1/2" tranny offset mount and a 1/8" (.125) tranny pulley spacer, for a total offset of 5/8". I don't think you can offset a final belt drive pulley 5/8" on the tranny, without having the belt hit the outside edge of the tranny housing.

5/8" is no problem on a chain, but you don't have that much wiggle room with a belt. You also need to watch for belt clearance from the tire and frame or swingarm.

If it were me, my first step would be to get the primary belt drive and bolt up the motor plate to see what (if any) offset is built into the frame (between the engine and tranny), as this will effect what primary offset spacer, engine pulley offset and tranny mount offset is needed. Bolt everything up an measure again, to solve for required offset.

Mike

Mike

Last edited by Cowhunter; 07-08-2011 at 04:12 PM..
Old 07-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Mike, Great thanks for the input... I will be ordering the 3" street open primary on Monday. After receiving it, I will then do as you have suggested first. I don't think there will be any issues with the belt hitting any part of the frame and it is spaced away from the tire around 3/16", just enough i believe. I do not want to have to buy any more than I have to, so the best thing I can do is research research research! The frame I bought came with a trans plate already welded on, is it possible to relocate it or re-drill holes? Perhaps this question will be best asked after I get the open belt primary. Thanks again!
Old 07-09-2011, 12:56 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
If your frame is built for a 250 tire and LSD, I'm guessing it will have 1" or so of tranny offset built in. Given your 5/8" mismatch, maybe not enough offset is built in, or it is setup to run a chain (which allows a lot more sprocket offset than a belt).

Between a drill, cut off wheel and welder all transmission mounting options are possible.

Last edited by Cowhunter; 07-09-2011 at 12:59 PM..
Old 07-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I often wonder if I should have went with a chain.... In any case, front and rear end as well as all the tins mounted, I have the motor and tranny in place.. The frame is 40deg- 9" stretched down-tube- and a 2"stretch backbone. 14" over and 3deg rake on the front end. I am 6' tall and its just enough to keep the bones stretched out. I just sold my first and only Harley to finish out this bike with an open primary, charging system and, I believe, a scooter harness. Soon as I get this lined up, I'm in the final stretch! Well, electrical is a whole other thing.. Thanks for your help and will let you know how well the motor and trans lines up. Is it just me or is it that some tasks during the building process is a cinch, yet other times it makes you feel like you should help yourself to a straight jacket?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2011 Custom Chopper- SOLD
Not Ranked     
evo,

What brand is your frame?

Mine is a kraftech, read it came with a 1" trans offset but it never lined up correctly using a belt. After all the headaches, I went ahead and bought the Chain and sprockets. I now have my tire centered and plenty of room for tire clearance and room in the primary.

I'm also running the 250 Dunlop.

Good luck sir.

Last edited by Icon; 07-14-2011 at 09:03 AM..
Old 07-15-2011, 05:02 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
..... read it came with a 1" trans offset but....
If you had to run an 1" spacer between the engine and the primary chain case or primary belt drive motor plate, then it has 1" of trans offset. How you get the final drive belt or chain to line up with the rear tire from there, is a bird of a different color.

Mike
Old 07-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
different wheels have different hubs so it's up to you to figure out what kind of tranny and wheel sprocket to use.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I bought this frame at a swap meet and went from there, a frame up build. I believe this frame was build by Sickcycle, will look at the MSO in the morning to verify. Just received all the parts I need, minus wiring, to finish this build. Will put on my inner plate to the trans and see what the space is at the motor. Will take pics within the next few days and post them on here and hopefully continue getting some good advise! Going now to look up what is said about LED lights on this site.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
about the chain vs belt; a belt is good only if you're a gearhead. remember, you have to pull the whole primary apart to replace a bad belt wheras with a chain you just have to pull the master link. Everything in life has good points and bad points, a chain is noisy, vibrates and oily but easy to work on and fairly cheap. A belt is quiet, less vibration, no oil, no adjusting but a bitch to work on and expensive to fit up on a wide tire chop.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

Thank for the input everyone... Long hours at work has kept me from the pleasure of working in the chop. I was able to get the inner motor plate slide on and rests nice with the transmission, but, is out from the motor 1 1/2"..... Considering I still have 1/2" between my rear belt pulley and trans pulley, going out more with the trans, I don't believe, is an option. I am appealed by the fact that a chain will be the better option here as I am just a moderate gear head and making this easier to build and work on out weights anything else right now. Only problem is I purchased the spockster that has the built in brake caliper into the belt pulley. Looks like it will have to wait till spring to get the trans and wheel sprocket as well as the caliper and rotor. Ya never know, I could use the sprockster on a future bobber project.

Tags
offset, pulley offset, rear pulley