Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Tube in a radial tire
Last Post: ironheadstubbs
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 21
opinions on seat....
Last Post: jworm
Replies: 6
Views: 250
New Mexico registration
Last Post: jworm
Replies: 2
Views: 159
Gpz900
Last Post: STEINBVG
Replies: 9
Views: 104
new build
Last Post: krymis
Replies: 22
Views: 863
More...
Old 08-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
STD Panhead Replica cases same as V Twin?

Hi everybody,
Im currently helping a friend with his bike project and he wants a Panhead engine really bad. I was checking the STD and Vtwin sites, surfing the web and reading as much info as possible but I couldnt find any recent post or opinions on them. There's a guy on ebay selling them for 1185 who claims STD is going out of bussines, STD advertised them at 999 $. Anybody with fresh experiences with them? We want to achieve a retro look as close to OEM Harley cases without compromising reliability. What cases do you guys will buy if you wanted a new panhead?
Cheers,
Juan
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
Yeah, go with the late pan cases with the timken rolers. If you're going pan top you gotta get the cases with the internal oil line, if you're gonna use shovel heads you don't need it. If it was me I would go with the 67-69 pan cases and run shovel heads. This is the best setup HD ever made and pay the extra dollars for the 3 5/8 bores. The 1158 is the everyday price, 999 is a deal. If you want pan heads then ya gotta go with cases 66 or lower, the big thing is, make sure its got timken main bearing.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
believe it man the old 67 to 69 cases are the way to go and timkin bearings are worth their weight in gold! my shovel has them! its a 67 shovel top end with panhead bottom end- mid year change over from the factory!
Attached Thumbnails
STD Panhead Replica cases same as V Twin?-129237717855203292.jpg   STD Panhead Replica cases same as V Twin?-129237719122952592.jpg  
Old 08-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
theres a guy on jockey journal sell new S+S pan cases for 800 bux > redasphalt3 is his screen name.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 80" bobbed prostreet,'06 RdKng.
Not Ranked     
I had a set of S.T.D. generator cases w/shovelheads in early 80's.They were having problems with the sprocket shaft bearing inserts and I was one of the victims.After sending the cases back to get "updated",all was good-but I was out of the shipping to them and back, and labor to gut the bottom end and reassemble.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
yeah I understand, that's why I say make sure it has timkens even on the stock old pans it was a problem and a BITCH to fix.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 77 flh/82 lowrider/58 pan
Not Ranked     
if you cant find pan cases w/ paper s+s is the way to go
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I agree and there's a set for sale right now for 800 clams and thats a fucking deal for S+S.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Club Chopper Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom
Send a message via Yahoo to pushrod243
Not Ranked     
STD used to build killer stuff. My Hotrod bike has EVO STD cases and heads but STD was sold after the original owner passed away. They were selling parts overseas and on the internet but they raely answered the phone. Recently they do not answer the phone at all I think they are gone.

If I was building a Pan today I would look into the S&S stuff it uses more modern oiling system etc. At first they were not selling pieces separately but hopefully they are offering them now
Suite 104
Sorrento, FL 32776
www.scootersperformance.com
(four0seven)330-2056

Old 08-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks for all the replies. We are actually looking for an OEM look. I have a few sets of S&S cases and they are really cool! There is another guy on ebay selling blank right side panhead case for 650 or so. I will keep searching!
Cheers!
Old 08-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
a right side case is ok but you got to remember if the cases aren't a set then they have to be line bored.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
ppl use to charge $70 for line bore and lap but I don't know what the goin price is today.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004, 90" S & S PanHead
Not Ranked     
I have the STD cases (new in 07) and they are great but I think STD is out of biz- I would go with the S & S set up and use their pan heads if you can. The S & S heads use the shovel style rockers which is a big advantage over the original pan rockers and blocks- You get a real pan motor with the reliability and ride-ability of an Evo- if you are spending the dough and want to ride hard without wrenching all the time, do the S & S stuff!
Old 08-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1965 Electraglide,2000 Nightrain
Not Ranked     
Been awhile since I been around.
Pretty much enjoying being retired from the MC world, but still do a little crank case machining on really old stuff.

On the new old style cases, S&S always worked out good.
Keep in mind, with S&S, you need to use their cam cover, and cam chest gear train.

When dealing with old mismatched cases, line boring is not really what happens.
A case main bearing lapping tool is used, this tool is piloted from the left case Timken bearing "55 and up".
In the best, it will open up the right case main bearing within range of oversize rollers to realize main bearing alignment.
Often alignment is not that easy. Since the main bearings are at a fixed location in each case half, relocation of main bearing locations is pretty much too hard to do.
The right case bearing location should not be done because of the cam gear train.
The left case Timken bearing relocation requires extensive and accurate machining, requiring sleeving, ect. This should only be done if there is damage.
On the old cases, location is controlled by 3 ground studs, 2 at the bottom, one between the cylinders.
With mismatched cases, I determine the shift on a machine table, use mirror image on a digital readout and drill the case halves for dowel pins.
This is how Delcron, Twincams, and XLs are, Located by dowel pins.
The ground case studs are replaced with smaller diameter studs because of the corrected shift, like some 1979 Shovel cases, "thats another story".
Once the bearing shift is corrected, the cylinder decks/ openings, and motor mounts need to be trued in alignment to the main bearings.
Often old cases are just jammed together with variable results.
If one is starting with an old pan right case, 58 and later is better because of the larger right main bearing/shaft.
I have very little experience with STD products, what I have was not bad.

Don

http://www.bigtwinn.com/
Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
in other words Don, try to get matched cases eh?