Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Looking for speedometer like this one
Last Post: tat2dale
Posted On: Today
Replies: 4
Views: 57
ultima 18-530 kit for sale/trade
Last Post: jworm
Replies: 0
Views: 13
New build. CFL Style 6up
Last Post: Qwickk
Replies: 45
Views: 2,528
"Not the Normal" builds, from WCC
Last Post: ->Bullet<-
Replies: 18,054
Views: 3,715,485
Ultima 18-533, circuit protection? Fuses?
Last Post: pushrod243
Replies: 4
Views: 127
More...
View Poll Results: Have you experienced the "pogo" effect on your springer?
yes 14 46.67%
no 13 43.33%
WTF are you talking about??? 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 12:42 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: custom chopper 124
Send a message via AIM to bluefin907
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscaladeSteve View Post
bluefin...what's up?
Never had a springer so this is just speculation. If the legs flex causing the pogo effect then maybe there is too much tension in the springs not allowing the rockers to rock and absorb the bumps. Just guessing here
Old 05-31-2010, 01:34 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: custom chopper 124
Send a message via AIM to bluefin907
Not Ranked     
Just watched the sugar bear vid if thats the same issue you got then more spring tension would seem right
Old 06-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: moped, it's a moped
Not Ranked     
I tried calling Mondo today but the phone kept going straight to voice mail so I called Freddy. Freddy said I'm supposed to have inner springs on the top above my trees which I don't, I only have inner springs between my trees...so that's the first problem.

Then he told me the rockers are set up wrong on Denver's Springers, so I should change out the rockers too.

I'm headed down to Freddy's shop later in the week to pick up new rockers and springs. He feels that should improve my ride drastically. I'll post again when the parts are installed.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: sporty -an evo or two - da pan.
Send a message via AIM to bite me Send a message via Yahoo to bite me
Not Ranked     
I know I am old as shit but if this is what your calling pogo it aint. Pogoing with a springer usually happens in a curve or changing lanes while accelerating. Its more like a bucking bronco and it is not a controlled situation at all. Your just bouncing the front suspension. Install a shock on the front end to slow the front end response like HD does. Anyway a torqued up motor can do that even with a stock front end.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Bucking Bronco is exactly how I would describe whats going on with me.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
I agree with reduce stiffness, not ^!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefin907 View Post
never had a springer so this is just speculation. If the legs flex causing the pogo effect then maybe there is too much tension in the springs not allowing the rockers to rock and absorb the bumps. Just guessing here
i never had a springer either, but under extreme angles the hydraulic forks bounce/ behave like a whip too if the suspension( spring preload )is too stiff!!.

Then the whole length of the fork( never mind - tubes or springer) becomes like a big spring to absorb the blows. Additionally- you will see bushings/ tube chrome and seals wear out- and oil leak- FOR LONG HYDRAULIC FORKS. I see it all the time on the bikes that are not set right!.

I believe you should SOFTEN the springs, not stiffen them. LET ROCKERS BOUNCE AROUND.

That would reduce THE up motion. The shocks( at CERTAIN DUMPENING setting) should reduce the fast jerky down move.

Also i think the position of the rocker to the length of the fork( THE angle)which depends upon the length of the front arm, LENGTH OF THE ROCKER, and total rake of your bike- might play role too: THINK, If the axel of the wheel IS almost exactly above the pivot point of the rocker movement( MEANING-on the vertical line)- then there's no room for any movement- the rest of the fork will compensate with the ' pogo' or whip lash effect, ESPECIALLY IF THE ARMS ARE NOT BIFFY ENOUGH.

Remember, they sell forks by the length, i'm not sure they set them up( preload, dumpening )for a particular chassis geometry/ rakes/ weight etc.

GOOD LUCK

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber

Last edited by STEINBVG; 06-02-2010 at 10:12 AM..
Old 06-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
they ALL bounce and flex like a motherfucker thats why they came out with a girder/shock later on. the longer the legs the more it pogo's.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I know- but...don't be cruel

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings View Post
they all bounce and flex like a motherfucker :lol: Thats why they came out with a girder/shock later on. The longer the legs the more it pogo's.
red, he will at least make ( or try to)the best of his setup, man you are so quick to suggest him to buy a new fork, wait till at least page 10 of this thread

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
I like it myself only it gets a little hairy coming off ramps lol.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I can deal with some flexing and a bit of bucking but it has to be somewhat safe...after all we know choppers are built for efficiency, comfort and safety. lol

After talking to Freddy I'm able to see that some components were set up wrong/parts missing such as those upper inner springs.

Some bouncing is cool, I rode my buddy's chopper a few weeks ago with a paughco (pretty long one as well) and although it bounced and flexed it never felt unsafe at highway speeds. I'll get it dialed in...it's just a matter of changing some components.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Shit, we thought we had lost you;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by escaladesteve View Post
i can deal with some flexing and a bit of bucking but it has to be somewhat safe...after all we know choppers are built for efficiency, comfort and safety. Lol

after talking to freddy i'm able to see that some components were set up wrong/parts missing such as those upper inner springs.

Some bouncing is cool, i rode my buddy's chopper a few weeks ago with a paughco (pretty long one as well) and although it bounced and flexed it never felt unsafe at highway speeds. I'll get it dialed in...it's just a matter of changing some components.
i hope it will work out and you get it right, but even the best setups could be improved upon( and get patented).

Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Moderator Supreme Deluxe
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Success

Before I went and purchased upper inner springs I decided to give Mondo one last try on the phone and he answered. He told me they don't sell their springers with an inner spring above the top tree.

When I explained the symptoms he told me exactly what to do.

Take a piece of 1 1/4" roundstock and cut a 3/4" spacer for the top of each spring. Then drill a 9/16" hole down the center. Install between the spring and the jamb nut and that should clean up the hopping.

I did just that and went blasting down the freeway at about 80 (not the speed of sound I know) but I couldn't come close to that speed before without feeling like I was riding a mechanical bull at the local boot scoot.

The spacers did the trick...so I'm going to call this problem solved.

I've got plenty of stock remaining, so I'm going to cut some new spacers a bit longer and mill the top hole a bit bigger so the jamb nuts can sit down inside of the spacers. Then I'll have the spacers painted blue and pinstriped to match the blue accents in my bars.

Anyone else who has a Denver's Springer (and probably other brands) with too much pogo, consider trying some spacers to preload the upper (recoil) springs a bit more.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2005 CFL 4up Ultima 113
Not Ranked     
Thanks man this is great info. I will have to get some spacers for my setup. What's your frame dimensions and how many inches over are your forks. My CFL is 4up and my forks are 12over and it sits nice and level.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2007 nemesis 250R
Not Ranked     
glad to see you got it fixed steve
Old 06-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
not sure what springer front end your using but liquid choppers sells a kit to install a shock on dna, paugcho and a few others. not listed on there site but give them a call and tell matt i said whats up