Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Hellion CFL Build.
Last Post: DIABOLUS
Posted On: 04-05-2020
Replies: 509
Views: 132,557
Bleeding brakes in dna rear end. Need help
Last Post: chopperfugger
Posted On: 04-05-2020
Replies: 12
Views: 310
Pushrod u still on here?
Last Post: fifty
Posted On: 04-04-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 57
NEW YORK FREEDOM RIDER NEWS- 4/3/20 - motorcycle related updates
Last Post: karen
Posted On: 04-03-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 128
Leaking spoke wheel. Help needed
Last Post: Poop
Posted On: 04-03-2020
Replies: 7
Views: 266
More...
Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010 - 107 ci Switchblade Softail Custom
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosh View Post
I just called Jireh and they confirmed the part numbers and they also showed me the numbers on Ultimas website in the tranny instructions.
Hosh, that is the one I purchased (96-538) and what Jireh and the tranny instructions suggested however it short unless Im doing something wrong. Jireh's customer service is top notch however when he was looking up the part and gave me that part number I told him thats the one I have he didnt have an answer.

Last edited by hunter_michael; 09-21-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I am in no way saying you are talking bad. I was just saying that is what they sell for the tranny and those numbers are also verified from Ultima themselves. The numbers are in print in there Ultima transmission manuals. I have the 96-538 in my Ultima LSD
Old 09-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Sorry edited my response before I saw your reply. Do you have the 3.35 open primary?

Old 09-21-2011, 10:32 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Another thing to check, I know it sounds dumb but I have had a few buddies and other local guys take there clutch cover off and have the right pushrod come out and they don't remember or realize to put it back in and then drive themselves crazy messing with the adjustment.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Yes the street style.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosh View Post
Another thing to check, I know it sounds dumb but I have had a few buddies and other local guys take there clutch cover off and have the right pushrod come out and they don't remember or realize to put it back in and then drive themselves crazy messing with the adjustment.
I'll check that tonight, if I do have the correct length and it's not adjusting correctly maybe something like that is stopping the correct adjustments to happen. Although my clutch lever would move as I tightened the left pin. Not sure if it would have moved if the right part fell out. Someone did mention taking the cover off and looking at the right side rod and re seating it or something like that. Hopefully I can figure this part out, I did order the other larger one just incase, only 8 bucks. I'll let you know what I find, and thanks!

Last edited by hunter_michael; 09-21-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Old 09-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I took the cover off on the cable side and re adjusted the ramp so that it pushed out the cable as much as possible, re-attached it and then used the same smaller clutch rod and then tightened the lock nut side until it stopped then backed a 1/4 turn and tightened. Then adjusted at the cable and got it to adjust!! Looks like the ramp needs to be positioned right and then go from there. Thanks all for the help.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopped hardtail 100"Evil Evo
Not Ranked     
its a common problem to accidentally pull the mechanism forward then the rod doesn't seat
Old 09-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
good news, I'm glad you got it working.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol GripPump View Post
Yeah they are pretty much useless when it comes to thinking outside the box! I went into harley one day to see if they had a metal shim pack to shim my tranny and the first question the guy asked me was "whats the year and model of your bike" that was the last time I went in there
yea but occasionally you can get lucky and a mechanic that is into customs sees your bike and thinks it is sick and can be alot of help

RARE but it did happen to me once
Old 10-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_michael View Post
I took the cover off on the cable side and re adjusted the ramp so that it pushed out the cable as much as possible, re-attached it and then used the same smaller clutch rod and then tightened the lock nut side until it stopped then backed a 1/4 turn and tightened. Then adjusted at the cable and got it to adjust!! Looks like the ramp needs to be positioned right and then go from there. Thanks all for the help.
i betcha this is whats goin on with mine

im excited to check it TONIGHT

thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 131 C.I. S&S Custom Engine
Not Ranked     
Several issues come to mind for these Ultima problems:
a 3 piece clutch pushrod is just insane-it is prone to wear and heat issues because of the (yes the very small) Gap in the 3 piece design,
The Throw Out Bearing(wafer thin and very prone to heat issues) in conjunction with a 3 piece pushrod design -and last of all:
The balls and detent roller mechanism in the right side drive clutch accuation housing -along with the *crank* or roller that keeps those balls and actuation device which run and engage the clutch cable and pushrod assembly- from losing adjustment under *PRESSURE*-which frys the Throw Out Bearing and cause "galling"(or heat deformity) on that clutch pushrod at the end of the small rod and actually eminatting downward(lengthwise) to the entire rod assembly-
eventually resulting in the problems written about in this thread.

The Throw Out bearing becomes deformed,the pushrod is scored,heat damaged(warped ever so slightly) and the clutch wont work properly.
You Lose the clutch alltogether in adjustment pressure-giving you NO Clutch at all,and all a result of the bad design of that clutch accutation assembly and the clutch *pawl* that keeps pressure on the rod and clutch lever to engage and relieve the clutch plates when pulling IN the clutch Lever.

BAD design and many flaws in the inherant Ultima accuation clutch engagement cover.THAT *PAWL* SHOULD BE OF A CLOSED DESIGN WITH A RAMP TO KEEP THE ASSEMBLY INERT AND LEVEL.....but the affordable multi part assembly(instead of CHEAP SHIT which I wanted to say) is the problem here:
It doesn't always remain stable and in sync w/the pawl~ pull in asembly that uses the cable on the handlebars clutch lever.
it's innacurate and moves even under normal useage.
Resulting in the dilemma that those here write about and complain with all good reason.
Bad design,loose fitment,cheap parts and a Bad ramp/pawl/accuation asembly are the culprits here fellas.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wow that's a great explanation. I am learning a shitload on this journey.

I guess I am stuck with the basic 3 piece design, etc. unless I swap it for another tranny though, ey?

Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickD View Post
Going to the stealer today (only time I feel I need a wallet with a chain on it) to get some clips and that small rubber bumper for my rear brake bracket. Also, as you know, the Ultima six speed doesn't come with a clutch pushrod so I want to pick up one.

Question is this: Do I just need the long rod (which is Harley part # 37088-90) or do I need this whole deal pictured (HD part # 37967-00) in the first photo below?

To further explain . . .

And is there another rod that goes outboard of #9 in the above photo or is it (#9) the terminal end that pushes on the clutch pack?

Thanks!

Guys - thanks in advance for your help.

If you have kept track of my other posts you know I am replacing the throwout bearing on my Utima (127ci, RSD). In order to be safe, I ordered several of the parts adjacent the actual bearing shown here, including the thrust washers, retaining clips, and even the pushrod itself.

I have the parts now, and some variations (the pushrod I got was more than an inch shorter than mine) have me convinced that I am looking at an LSD schematic for parts and instructions.

Some of the parts maybe are interchangeable, but some (at least the pushrod) are different. Also, it is tough for me to reassemble it correctly using these drawings which are LSD, I think.

Does anyone know how to get ahold of the drawings for the right side of an Ultima RSD assembly? On the website it all looks LSD to me.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Angry Ultima clutch pushrods

It's funny i came across this forum because all i was doin was trying to find out after purchasing a $5800.00 ultima engine, 6 speed trans, and open belt primary why i could not remove the free play from the cable...after 3 hours of taking it apart and back together i finally threw up my hands and waited till today to contact demons where i bought it...well much to my surprise they tell me ultima don't suppy it with one !!...so i call midwest and the part cost is $4.99 plus shipping....really !!!!!!!!!!!!.....ya think somewhere in the manula or their website when you purchase it they would print - clutch pushrod must be purchased seperatly...granted this is my forst build and would have never know of this....just another pain in the ass bullshit company that does not think of something as small as this to include it.....i can rest now the pushrod has been purchased at the local harley dealer which by the way is the same pushrod.....