Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
First build - beginner questions
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 10-18-2019
Replies: 23
Views: 338
WTB: chopper fucker battery box
Last Post: John Spartan
Posted On: 10-14-2019
Replies: 7
Views: 3,450
My Evo 5 & speed in FLH 4 speed frame
Posted On: 10-13-2019
Replies: 20
Views: 585
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: 10-12-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 7,012
Project Blast!
Posted On: 10-10-2019
Replies: 14
Views: 1,071
More...
Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: '90 H-D Softail/PowerHouse 114 & '98FBoy
Not Ranked     
Question "Start push on" use 12 awg. or 16 awg wires??

My bike is 1990 FXSTC with 114 Powerhouse motor (high compression-ratio) and Powermaster starter. I want to change the wiring because of aged-(20 years) and worn-out.
I found out that old wire of it at "start push on" handlebar control switch-starter, looks old wire 12 awg. than I newer wire 16 awg..

Should I put 12 awg. wire? Is the 16 awg. wire ok ?

Hope, those pixes here would be HELPFUL.

Thanks for input..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Club Chopper Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom
Send a message via Yahoo to pushrod243
Not Ranked     
If you are running a relay it shouldnt matter but i like to see bigger wire on the relay that actually goes to the starter it will start easier. But the other side of the relay shouldnt make much difference you are just switching the relay on .
Suite 104
Sorrento, FL 32776
www.scootersperformance.com
(four0seven)330-2056

Old 01-28-2010, 03:23 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 07 113 cu in S&S in a Wrench frame
Not Ranked     
I can try and explain it like this.

when you have a heavy load such as the starter circuit requires it is best to run heavier gauged wire with multistrands.

The resistance is almost eliminated getting all the power to flow where it need be. I run 12 gauge wire from my starter switch to relay and all other wires from relay are 10 gauge .

Anytime you try and funnel current from say a 16 gauge wire to a 12 gauge wire your resistance will be very high. Kinda like if you had a room that was 20x20 with 400 people in it and a fire broke out and the only exit was a 84 inch x 36 inch door.

You will definitely have a problem getting that many people out of the room amd unfortunately some will get burned.

Now if you had automatic fire sprinklers you would be okay temporarily until you made the exit larger. Meaning a fuse inline would be compared to the automatic sprinkler system it would blow until you remedied the situation by adding a heavier gauged wire.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:38 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micahanjello View Post
I can try and explain it like this.

when you have a heavy load such as the starter circuit requires it is best to run heavier gauged wire with multistrands.

The resistance is almost eliminated getting all the power to flow where it need be. I run 12 gauge wire from my starter switch to relay and all other wires from relay are 10 gauge .

Anytime you try and funnel current from say a 16 gauge wire to a 12 gauge wire your resistance will be very high. Kinda like if you had a room that was 20x20 with 400 people in it and a fire broke out and the only exit was a 84 inch x 36 inch door.

You will definitely have a problem getting that many people out of the room amd unfortunately some will get burned.

Now if you had automatic fire sprinklers you would be okay temporarily until you made the exit larger. Meaning a fuse inline would be compared to the automatic sprinkler system it would blow until you remedied the situation by adding a heavier gauged wire.

Handlebar (Engine Start & Stop) Switch cover/rocker has good seal waterproof. I don't think I could put 12 awg wire on it. How those guys put 12g wire on start switch? Where I can buy one ?

I use with the 30A Circuit breaker.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2010, 06:45 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Customs
Not Ranked     
I don't know if pushrod will remember or not but I had a thread this last summer on starter problems. It turned out to be a wire gauge problem and from there on I have gone with my wifes motto "thicker is always better". If you have a soldering iron, steady hands and some patience you should be able to figure out something on that, but yes go with the 12gauge.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 PM
DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27Cam02 View Post
Handlebar (Engine Start & Stop) Switch cover/rocker has good seal waterproof. I don't think I could put 12 awg wire on it. How those guys put 12g wire on start switch? Where I can buy one?
That's why we have starter relays

So that you can run a small ga wire (16 ga - 18ga) through the handlebars to the relay, and then a much heavier ga. wire (10ga - 12ga) from the relay to the starter

You won't be able to buy any switches for HD OEM housings that have 12 ga wires attached

And don't waste your time trying to splice a 12 ga. onto the start button that you have now - the splice will just jam up space in the housing

If you want to use OEM style switches and housings - you need to have a starter relay

"Hula Baby"

Last edited by Merlin Hawaii; 01-31-2010 at 12:05 PM..
Old 02-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Hawaii View Post
That's why we have starter relays

So that you can run a small ga wire (16 ga - 18ga) through the handlebars to the relay, and then a much heavier ga. wire (10ga - 12ga) from the relay to the starter

You won't be able to buy any switches for HD OEM housings that have 12 ga wires attached

And don't waste your time trying to splice a 12 ga. onto the start button that you have now - the splice will just jam up space in the housing
True...Of Course, I use the relay.
Thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 02:19 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamRock View Post
I don't know if pushrod will remember or not but I had a thread this last summer on starter problems. It turned out to be a wire gauge problem and from there on I have gone with my wifes motto "thicker is always better". If you have a soldering iron, steady hands and some patience you should be able to figure out something on that, but yes go with the 12gauge.
Do you use the relay? Yes the bigger is best way to prevent big issues on starting.
I am good with soldering. I do built with LED things on cars and bikes.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     
Deleted it

Last edited by 27Cam02; 02-23-2010 at 04:04 PM..