Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Shovel high revs problem
Last Post: Captain America
Posted On: Today
Replies: 7
Views: 162
Gpz900
Last Post: spidr
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 10
Views: 151
1990 EVO motor, oil filter mounting options
Last Post: hanger
Replies: 1
Views: 41
inline oil temperature gauge
Last Post: BadDawg
Replies: 5
Views: 50
Air Cleaner Advice Revtech
Last Post: pushrod243
Replies: 4
Views: 165
More...
Old 05-23-2009, 04:23 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
ANy good words to say about REVTECH

Guys everwhere I read its bad news about Revtech. I realize some is old . How are these Gen III doing. I'm looking at a 100CI. Also how do I know its a Gen III in the bike? Build was 07.

jim
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2009, 06:00 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I got a gen III 110 that I beat the balls off!! have about 15k or so on it and (knock on wood, dont jinx me!!) no problems!! my buddy has one and only had rocker box gasket leaks. not as much mileage but rides hard and fast!
worth every penny far as I'm concerened!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2009, 06:25 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Rigid in the works
Not Ranked     
A korean copy of an american design? why not Ultima or HD?
Old 05-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Performance - S&S or Ultima. Revtech is a smooth engine. Have a 110 very smooth, will get up and go, but not the performance of the other two. Have had problems with ultima belt drive on revtech, but not the engine.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Inch for inch a RevTech will equal and most time surpass other motors that are considered in the same class.

Three year/ 30k mile warranty is hard to beat and says a lot about how the company feels about their products.

Personal experience is my Gen III 100 whips ass on the competition up to and including 113 ci's.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:28 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Sucker Punch Sportster
Not Ranked     
I have two 100's, run great.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Shovel, Pan, Iron
Not Ranked     
With S&S or Harley you may get a flawed or lemon motor on RARE occassion. With Rev Tech you may get a decent motor on RARE occassions. Same with their transmissions. Why even go there?
Old 05-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Club Chopper Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom
Send a message via Yahoo to pushrod243
Not Ranked     
They new Revys are much better....If you are looking at a scooter that has a revtech in it the easiest way to tell they are the Gen 3's is the rocker boxes the gen 3's have the new rounded edge on the right side of the rocker boxes. I think they were Gen 3's by 07 but not 100% sure there.
Suite 104
Sorrento, FL 32776
www.scootersperformance.com
(four0seven)330-2056

Old 05-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1996 FLSTF
Neutral     
Why even consider a RT ????
They have screwed hard working people for years by selling a product that was known to have a high failure rate. They offered a low price and a long warranty so people would buy them anyway and they have done their field engineering and product development at the expense of their customers.

No one bought Revtech because they were good... they bought them because they were cheap.

Remember... The MOTOR is the MATN PART of a MOTORCYCLE...
What is the actual price difference between an S&S 96 or 113 ??? (save your money)

Ask yourself:
When the bike is done will you be proud you have a RT..?
Is a RT what you REALLY want?... or is it something you settle for?

If someone gave me a RevTech I would sell it to get most the money to buy an S&S or build an HD Shovel.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Shovel, Pan, Iron
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeSimpson View Post
Why even consider a RT ????
They have screwed hard working people for years by selling a product that was known to have a high failure rate. They offered a low price and a long warranty so people would buy them anyway and they have done their field engineering and product development at the expense of their customers.

No one bought Revtech because they were good... they bought them because they were cheap.

Remember... The MOTOR is the MATN PART of a MOTORCYCLE...
What is the actual price difference between an S&S 96 or 113 ??? (save your money)

Ask yourself:
When the bike is done will you be proud you have a RT..?
Is a RT what you REALLY want?... or is it something you settle for?

If someone gave me a RevTech I would sell it to get most the money to buy an S&S or build an HD Shovel.
That really about says it all!
Old 05-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Many guys wont admit it but a lot of failures are breakin and human error related. I have looked at many of the revtechs and even the older ones were great. S&S or Ultima will still fail per say if a guy throws 60 wt. oil in it cause thats all he had and just fires it up without priming it or doesnt check p-rods and make basic checks along the way. or uses the wrong oil filter cause "it fits". Maybe a stinker in the bunch but i see more posts about ultima's failing than revtechs failing and not just the motors. Dont get me wrong we should keep the money in house if we can buy american and get the same or more in quality.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom Rigid
Send a message via Yahoo to Milenko
Not Ranked     
In got mine in late 2004, it is a Gen III, 110" - no problems at all with it, and I am not superstitious so I don't think that my saying so will jinx anything.

Also, I have never had anyone look at my bike and say "Dude, that is a bitchin' chopper - too bad you have a R/T motor...'.

For what it's worth, you can get a stock HD crate motor for around 2800 bucks... so price shouldn't be your only criterion...
Old 05-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I have a long time friend & Vietnam vet that lives in Australia and he bought a RT 110 two yrs ago and put it in his '96 HD. I have always heard bad things about them and riding in australia is far worse than riding here in the US. He shipped it here last yr. and made the run to the wall from LA, CA and back and the only problem he had was a new SE clutch that took a dump. He sent me a dyno sheet and after 2 or 3 exhaust changes and some tuning it was putting out 125 hp & 110 ft/lbs torque. I finally convinced him to change cams and he is even more happier with it. I have an Ultima 120 which is a 127 that I de-stroked and I would never own another 127 because they seep oil, shake & vibrate a lot. As a 120 it is still running like a bat out of hell and it does not leak oil anymore because I sealed the cases. I have a Big Dog and it had a S&S 117 and I would never go back. I would never own another HD motor or better yet a TC because they will not stand up to the punishment an Evo motor will. I think a lot of the problems with Ultima's & RT's are brought on by people that just hammer the hell out of them and from the very first day. If HD' s motors were so great then they would not need a service dept. I have my rev limit set at 5200 and it has never seen that because I have a low to midrange cam and you better hang on when it gets to about 3800 rpm.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008 Flyrite, S&S Shovel
Not Ranked     
I have heard the Gen III motors are really good motors. I don't know from personal experience, but a buddy of mine that has a bike shop told me that they had put a couple of the gen III motors in some bikes and they have had no problems at all with them. Said they run great. I hear the 100" 4 X 4 is suppose to be a really nice motor. That being said I bought an S&S for my build, but that was mainly because I got a bitchin deal on a used one.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Well I am (after a long time) getting this custom from a guy and it has a RT in it. So I'm hoping it will last. If noy well then plan "B". Thanks for all the posts.

jim