Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Bleeding brakes in dna rear end. Need help
Last Post: chopperfugger
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 7
Views: 150
Leaking spoke wheel. Help needed
Last Post: cntrhub
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 6
Views: 191
Seen the new Harleys?
Last Post: Neverlost
Posted On: 03-31-2020
Replies: 3
Views: 100
What are these?
Last Post: erlobulldog
Posted On: 03-30-2020
Replies: 4
Views: 137
2001 Road King transmission swap
Last Post: CIC2016
Posted On: 03-29-2020
Replies: 1
Views: 176
More...
Old 12-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 79 Shovel, 48 Bobber, 71 XLCH Project
Neutral     
So why won't this work for a trike rear end

I have been doing tandems forever and thought Id give a trike a shot. I have been researching rear ends and differentials and during that process, I figured an ATV or UTV rear end would be about the way to the end.

I have read a couple of places that they wont hold up, which I dont really understand. I have only been Off Road once on my Shovel and it did OK, broke me but it did OK. ATVs and UTVs only go off road and they do it really well so why wont it work for a street trike? Modifying a car rear end creates a sprung weight issue I really dont want to deal with

I have even found a live rear end with reverse, pic attached.
Overall Length: 27 inches
Outside of hub to outside of hub measurement: 26 inches
Inside of hub to gear box on left side: 8 inches
Inside of hub to bearing (rotor side): 6 inches
34 tooth sprocket (uses #428 chain)
Diameter of shaft: 1.496063 (38mm)
Forward and reverse handle, bolt distance is 48mm (1h inches) and shifter cable, cable sleeve length is 29 inches, overall length is 39 inches

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATV Rear end w Reverse.jpg (29.1 KB, 12076 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: A FEW
Neutral     
evening, whats the plan for aling n chain sprockets 11/2" off the centerline of axle, is there another shaft and sprockets involved? will hub except a larger disc? is there suspension involed? not familiar with the axle, what type of gears,hp rating, and rpm ratings will it take? luck to ya. gw
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Most of it has to do with weight and power. Keep in mind that ATVs don't run at highway speeds and are usually specified to be without a rider. The little reverse tansmission can be an issue also. Figure up the power of the typical ATV and consider they are geared to lower operating speeds. Figure the weight and that you will probably put larger diameter tires on the trike. If you can find the manufacturer of the rear end, they should have torque, speed and HP numbers. Otherwise you have to figure out what materials are involved and figure if things are up to the intended use.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:11 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
THX

Switch the rotor and sprocket. Either shim or shave the boss to line up. (I would have to go to a toothier spocket anyway and bigger rotor, which I can drill to line up, although I'll try the 8' rotor first since most of the braking is up front, on dual disk).

Swingarm yoked and sprung with shocks, although I was looking at a competition ATV, top end 85mph - a touch beyond an Ironhead, with a monoshock.

I would have to change out the bearings etc. to meet the torque and RPM requirements, probably put a carrier bearing at the wheel flanges, for lateral torque.

The almost 1.5" axel is just a little smaller than a servi-car axel.

The reverse would have to be operated like the ones the Gold Wing guy use; stop, go to neutral, shift into reverse, go to 1st and back up. Yeah complicated but beat the hell out of pushing it backwards up a hill.

I'm looking to keep the weight down and use it for wider tires.

I just started doing the engineering and if it were easy somreone else would have already done it.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I am not real happy with the hubs. May need some reinforcement expecially with big tires. The inboard bearings put a lot of load on the bearings and axles. Having the load bearings out at the hubs takes a lot of load off the axles. It is really hard to tell just by looking at things and basically just applying experience from other things I have seen destroyed over the years. A lot of times you figure things out by seeing what works and learning from what doesn't.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: sporty -an evo or two - da pan.
Send a message via AIM to bite me Send a message via Yahoo to bite me
Not Ranked     
I am agreeing with mec. They had a specific usage designed into them knowing well in advance the operating habits of the consumer. With that in mind why do you think this could handle the hp of a v twin, much less 70 mph on the interstate for extended periods with out burning up in short order? Taking something too big and lightening up its load usually (not all the time) works, taking something too small and then doubling or triple its weight then running it at high way speed. Maybe that doesn't work so well.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:35 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008 War Eagle, 113" S&S
Not Ranked     
Angry

First, since we aren't allowed to use "gay".... I will describe the whole trike thing as being... _a_! With that said, I think your axles should be tuff enough. IMHO the reverse box will split like a 3 dollar whore's legs the first time you romp down on the gas.

Another question is there any differential action built into the setup? I'm happy to say I don't know shit about trikes, but it seems a full time posi would be hard on handling.

Mike

Last edited by Cowhunter; 12-23-2008 at 06:42 PM..
Old 12-23-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm crewed mutha fucka
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: '93 FXSTC, 250 Custom Hardtail
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowhunter
but it seems a full time posi would be hard on handling.

Mike

I was thinking about this myself.............

Personally I remember the old Honda 110 ATC that would drive your ass straight into the woods if you weren't prepared for that "live" axle.

Tearing shit up since 1968!

R.I.P. Michael "MW521" Wilson

Old 12-23-2008, 06:45 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 113" Softail
Not Ranked     
Hunter.. c'mon man Trikes aren't gay... or GAY... now that other post I just saw was a little gay but I digress.. A young guy riding a trike is a little _a_... a 60 yr old who can't ride a bike anymore isn't at all or the disabled guy with one leg or several other reasons... Plus I have seen some kickass trikes.. not the fiberglass body goldwing crap...

Last edited by tod75154; 12-24-2008 at 07:59 AM..
Old 12-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 01 Fatboy,65 Matchless, 83 V-65, +more
Send a message via AIM to rastoy
Not Ranked     
Only one way to find out for real - do it. Making shit work is half the fun especially when people say it wont work.

Nevermind, you're hopeless.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
All this is great input (except maybe the _a_ part)

I agree with rastoy making shit is fun but making the shit work is a lot more fun.

The Servi rear end wasn't made to run freeway speeds all day either, just from one parking ticket to the next, and was never meant to be used with a BT or even an Ironhead but tons of guys have done it.

I just can't bring myself to pay $4 grand for a commercial trike rear that is nothing more than a junkyard Ford 9" and $200 in T-6 aluminum that is really about $1500 worth of parts, labor and material.

There are Utility Vehicles with much stronger diff, some LSD, like the Gator that may work better. I'll check out a Buds Gator this weekend.

....and yes gotta be posi or LSD, I've been down the hand full of throttle hard left turn road before and don't care to do it again.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 73 shovel CFL, 54 Pan, Z06
Not Ranked     
Hey, just a little input on that rear end. #one it is Chinese mass produced , very low grade. I am in the process of fixing one that has blown up on a 125 atv. yeah. 125. and taking the whole thing apart and looking inside it... not to impressed. I say listen to mechworks on this one. you need something that is built for highway speeds and the torque and power of larger motors. these arent. and the hubs are 4 bolt with no outer bearings. Id find something like a regular rearend off like an old maveric the old ford 8" . im just saying unless you plan on going from parking ticket to parking ticket at 4 miles an hour. I would stay away from that rear end. Im working on one right now and if youd like to see what happens to them with a 80 lb kid riding a 125 atv ill be glad to send you some pics. D.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
hey cow hunter, been to war lately ? had any friends come back with there fuckin legs shot or blown off. ? guys who love motorcycles and dispite fightin for fags like you who, talking out there ass call what might possibly be the only way for them to get in the wind and still enjoy a taste of the freedom they lost their legs for in the first place. I wouldnt call any of these guys gay. or if they needed to build a trike "gay" I would however call some no nothing like you , gay. think about what you say fuck face ! hopefully this dosent get deleted , it may raise awareness. Enjoy your freedom, its been paid for .
Old 12-24-2008, 08:04 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty d
Hey, just a little input on that rear end. #one it is Chinese mass produced , very low grade. I am in the process of fixing one that has blown up on a 125 atv. yeah. 125. and taking the whole thing apart and looking inside it... not to impressed. I say listen to mechworks on this one. you need something that is built for highway speeds and the torque and power of larger motors. these arent. and the hubs are 4 bolt with no outer bearings. Id find something like a regular rearend off like an old maveric the old ford 8" . im just saying unless you plan on going from parking ticket to parking ticket at 4 miles an hour. I would stay away from that rear end. Im working on one right now and if youd like to see what happens to them with a 80 lb kid riding a 125 atv ill be glad to send you some pics. D.
Thx, someone who has looked inside the beast, that's what I have been looking for.

I'm beginning to feel like the chief engineer at ACME engineering making sure Wiley Coyote get what he needs.

It's on to the junk yard or here http://www.westgarage.co.uk/chaindrive/chaindrive1.html
Old 12-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
oh and sorry about the other post didnt mean to wreck your thread, i have pics if you need em, but it aint pretty. im working on a trike right now, i found an old rear end off an old old ford, one of those rat rod looking ones, its got short axels on it so it should work. I think the old ford 8" er would be the ticket, or maybe one off an old like vega or something . Im using a shaft drive bike as the power train, soon as i find one. but ive got my rear end hiding out in the shop. Good luck man.