Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Front end
Last Post: Daxcobra
Posted On: Today
Replies: 0
Views: 1
Parting out
Last Post: Hawgster
Replies: 8
Views: 719
Man Eater
Last Post: jsp
Replies: 4
Views: 71
Anyone interested in Custom Roadstar Rigid frames?
Last Post: krymis
Replies: 2
Views: 944
Custom 250 H-tail, pro-street, Buell powered build
Last Post: matt'sdrag95
Replies: 76
Views: 8,124
More...
Old 09-01-2008, 10:34 AM
DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky-D
The following comment is from the site:http://www.powerarc.com/sparkplug.htm

Initial suggested settings for spark plug gaps are:
Single plug 0.028-0.032"
Dual plug 0.025-0.030"
These are maximum settings, go down from here
Well, Power Arc is in a world of there own on this.

I don't have any personal experience with Power Arc, so I won't comment on them. But they are a Multi Spark Ignition - meaning that they fire up to three sparks at a time (as compared to one single spark in a conventional high performance ignition) under the theory that three sparks will afford a more complete burn than one

But Racers have always striven to increase their gaps (through higher voltage ignitions) in search of that "100% burn"

In the past, things like higher compression (a more dense A/F mix) have required a smaller gap to effectively propagate a flame. However modern electronic ignitions are powerful enough that they can bridge a large gap and propagate a correspondingly larger flame front

The direction that racers have always taken, has been toward having as large a gap as possible (for a given set of conditions) as opposed to as small a gap as possible

But, more impt for us:

The engine manufacturers (S&S, HD, Ultima, and just about everyone else) recommends a gap of .040

The spark plug manufacturers (Champion, NGK, and just about everyone else) recommends a gap of .040

And just about every experienced tuner (all other things being equal) will recommend a gap of about .040

Last edited by Merlin Hawaii; 09-01-2008 at 06:34 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I'm not trying to start a pissin' contest but:http://www.spyke1.com/manuals/sparkplug.htm

This is from Spyke Ignition:

WARNING:
Use only resistor core spark plug wires with all Spyke Ignitions. See spark plug wire section below.

Use resistor spark plugs with all electronic ignitions to limit the conducted EMI noise and radiated RFI noise..

Single plug 0.028-0.032"
Dual plug 0.025-0.030"

Spark plug gap should be made as small as possible, while still maintaining performance. A wide spark plug gap can cause hard cold starting, misfires during rich or lean fuel conditions, and reduction of upper rpm range. To maintain a good secondary spark (multiple spark) within a wider rpm range it is wise to run a narrower spark plug gap. It is better to precisely place two stable, consistent sparks than to fire one wider spark that may cause misfires under various conditions.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:45 PM
DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky-D
I'm not trying to start a pissin' contest but:http://www.spyke1.com/manuals/sparkplug.htm

This is from Spyke Ignition:

WARNING:
Use only resistor core spark plug wires with all Spyke Ignitions. See spark plug wire section below.

Use resistor spark plugs with all electronic ignitions to limit the conducted EMI noise and radiated RFI noise..

Single plug 0.028-0.032"
Dual plug 0.025-0.030"

Spark plug gap should be made as small as possible, while still maintaining performance. A wide spark plug gap can cause hard cold starting, misfires during rich or lean fuel conditions, and reduction of upper rpm range. To maintain a good secondary spark (multiple spark) within a wider rpm range it is wise to run a narrower spark plug gap. It is better to precisely place two stable, consistent sparks than to fire one wider spark that may cause misfires under various conditions.
Well, seeing as the wording from both the Power Arc website, and the Spyke website are IDENTICAL,

Then it's fair to assume that the same individual wrote the text for each

But they are both talking about MULTI SPARK IGNITIONS that fire multiple sparks, instead of a single spark

Totally different ballgame

So, if you apply that logic to a conventional high output single spark ignition

Then you're saying that S&S, Ultima, HD, Champion, NGK, and several generations of car, motorcycle, racer/tuners don't know what they're doing
Old 09-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Merlin, you state:

"Then you're saying that S&S, Ultima, HD, Champion, NGK, and several generations of car, motorcycle, racer/tuners don't know what they're doing"

I have made no statements.

I simply posted information from the website of the manufacturers of the ignitions.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008, Rat Rod Bobber, 120
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob o
anyone now what the gap should be for a Ultima 127???? I am running Champion RN9YC plugs????
I have a 120 ultima and I'm using the same plugs with a .038 gap.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ok Im runnin a ultima 113 should the gap also b .040??????????? single coil ignition
Old 04-15-2009, 10:40 AM
DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jworm View Post
Ok Im runnin a ultima 113 should the gap also b .040??????????? single coil ignition
Yes, Same gap

"Hula Baby"
Old 04-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ok thanx Merlin much appreciated