Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
"Not the Normal" builds, from WCC
Last Post: SKT
Posted On: Today
Replies: 17,826
Views: 3,407,186
Shovel O Shit
Last Post: 300newbie
Replies: 79
Views: 3,601
New HOUSE key skulls
Last Post: Midwest Cycle
Replies: 0
Views: 15
what is this
Last Post: Tortolabob2
Replies: 4
Views: 137
Super clean 200 Dominator for sale
Last Post: 250CFL
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 48
Views: 4,836
More...
Old 07-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 04 Venom Prostreet
Not Ranked     
BDL clutch adjustment

I have the 3" BDL primary, the problem I'm havng is at slow/idle speeds. The bike tends to jerk or buck at low speeds in traffic. I don't have any problems shifting up or down or finding neutral, that all seems to work great. Is this normal for this clutch or do I need further adjustments on the pushrod? I adjusted it according to the BDL specs turn pushrod in until you feel resistence then back it out 1/4 turn.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
When you pull the clutch handle, is there a slight movment before hitting resistance?

Doesn't really sound like the clutch is having an issue unless you can feel it slipping (then something in cable or pushrod is too tight causing the clutch to slip). Are you lugging the engine at low speeds? Belt drives don't have compensators for the low speed two cylinder engine...just direct drive. Loading on the engine the wrong way will cause immediate jerking until speed increases enough for the engine to run properly.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:22 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
That's what it sounds like to me also MW. Lugging at low speed even in 1st gear is always present. You have to keep feathering the clutch to avoid the problem!

Maybe there will be an automatic transmission developed soon to address the issue. With the advent of astronomical gasoline prices there certainly will be a need for such a transmission for all the newly entering motorcycle riders that are trying to avoid the expense of running their Hummers.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 04 Venom Prostreet
Not Ranked     
Kind of what I thought. Not lugging the engine at all just noticeable in rush hour traffic when moving at idle speed. Feathering the clutch is what I usually do to correct it.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2008, 12:49 PM
DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The compounds used on the friction plates have a big effect on the grip and it's user friendliness on the street

Stock BDL frictions are an organic/kevlar blend, that should be easy to feather

Carbon/Kevar blends, and Carbon/Ceramic blends give better bite for high HP applications, but the engagement is more abrupt

I try to feather the clutch as little as possible.

The engagement might be a little more abrupt, but the frictions and steels will last longer
Old 07-27-2008, 06:27 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I get the same problem when the bike is hot. When I'm sitting on a light the bike tends to jerk forward. A lot of people I talk to say is normal. Sometimes, it even make a clunk noise coming out of the clutch basket.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 06 Xtreme Cycle Design frame, TP121
Not Ranked     
are you using hydraulic or cable lines? I had the same problem using hydraulic lines. Took me awhile to find the problem, can't tell you how many times i stopped and made an adjustment on that rod setting. ended up being an adjust needed at the handle/lever. It was like is was not pushing enough fluid to fully seperate the plates. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Probably, the most common culprit when having clutch (dragging related) problems in hydraulic clutch systems is air in the lines.

Even the tiniest amount of air in a hydraulic clutch system will limit travel of the slave.

The slave has such a short travel designed into it and coupled with a master cylinder designed with a small piston (intentionally so) well,,,

Just a few tiny specks of bubbles can have a immense effect on clutch operation.

Bleed that system.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Usually parts grow with heat and that usually results in slipping. Grabbing at the stoplight is failure to disengage which is an opposite to slipping. Hydraulic systems are especially picky as air in the line is very difficult to remove and the smallest bubble of air in the system can be compressed and remove precious volume from providing adequate clutch throw.

On the other hand, the BDL drive is fairly crude and sometimes plates stick and plates smacking against dogs in the basket make noise. Getting a dry clutch wet causes rust (quickly..in minutes) and even humidity can rust highly polished metal plates making them stick to friction disc. All nature of the beast and typical to racing heritage parts. HD would have dropped their leaky and costly wet primary long ago if dry was better for street use.