Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Hellion CFL Build.
Last Post: DIABOLUS
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 310
Views: 32,384
Fat Bastard Electical Questions
Last Post: BadDawg
Replies: 7
Views: 770
Kandy
Last Post: spidr
Replies: 52
Views: 2,147
battery
Last Post: rootercycles
Replies: 10
Views: 190
open belt drive and engine oil seal
Last Post: rootercycles
Replies: 5
Views: 107
More...
Old 04-01-2008, 01:23 PM
DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakersMark
Here is the response i recieved from Keith at Thunder-Heart after i tried calling and leaving a message and sending email - i sent emails to the Pres of the company - Jerry Korrect and to the General Manager - Paul Sweeney . So far this was the only reply i have recieved
I'm not sayin' who's right and who's not here

But right now TH has you guys by the short and curlies, and are under no real obligation to take care of you, as there deal was with AIH

If you put them in the hot seat and start giving them the third degree on who's at fault, you could very well end up being hung out to dry

In which case you'll get your speedo fixed IF and WHEN they feel like it

Just my $.02

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006 Texas Chopper
Not Ranked     
Received a call from Brooke at TH this morning. They repaired my speedometer and are shipping it out today. The only thing I had to pay for was return shipping @ $5.00. She was very nice and stated that if I had any futher problems to let them know. Maybe since it's their name out there now that they will take care of the problems. I'm still loving my chopper after 2 years. I think AIH made some of the sharpest bikes out there but this economy has hurt a lot of business. As for me, I hope that they can come back and keep the AIH brand alive.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
In response to Keith's (TH) email: Yes, those other companies did make speedos for AIH...back in '03!! And AIH probably did provide the overlay (what you see when you look at your speedo) to those companies as it was our overlay. The overlay has as much to do with the function of the speedo as the face of a clock has to do with the clockworks. From '04 on it was all TH, but there may be been a few "stragglers" make it on to '05 models.

Merlin - I'm not asking these guys to call up TH and call bullshit. I was resonding to what TH said about AIH using "other" parts in their speedos. I just hope these guys read this as a "buyer beware" kinda thing. I really hope that TH has finally manned-up and are going to fix these problems.

Wait...MakersMark, didn't you say they were charging you $125...bbqman only paid shipping...did I miss something?
Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 PM
DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOS
Merlin - I'm not asking these guys to call up TH and call bullshit. I was resonding to what TH said about AIH using "other" parts in their speedos. I just hope these guys read this as a "buyer beware" kinda thing. I really hope that TH has finally manned-up and are going to fix these problems.
Jos,

I know that you're not telling these guys what to do

And I think that you're the most credible source of info on this subject

My point was that if some of these guys go calling up Keith and the Prez, and the GM of TH and tell them "Well Jos told me this and so and so told me that, and now you're telling me something different - I'm callin' bullshit", then that might prove to be counterproductive to what they're tryin' to accomplish. Which is getting a functional speedo on their bike ASAP

TH is holding all of the cards and they don't have to play if somebody hassles them too much

Fixing these AIH speedos seems kinda like beatin' a dead horse, they've been so problematic. I think If it was me, I'd be moving in the direction of getting rid of some the proprietary AIH stuff anyway ,so that I could reduce my dependency on a Co. that's no longer in business

I think they/you made some great bikes, and I'm sorry to see them go under

Old 04-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 06 AIH TexasChopper 124ci
Not Ranked     
speedos

JOS - this is printed on the form for getting it repaired :
Thunder Heart Performance (THP) will repair or replace any 2003 & up American IronHorse (AIH) speedometer. The above information is required before any return authorization # can be given. All of these speedometers will fall under 1 of 4 categories which will be determined when THP receives speedo from customer. At this time, THP will contact customer and let them know which category they fall into and the cost if any.
1. THP will refit Gill speedo with THP bezel for $350
2. THP will refit Wire Plus speedo with THP circuit for $300
3. THP will refurbish early THP bezel to latest spec for $125
4. THP will refurbish current THP bezel at no charge

I guess i fall under number 3 - lol

I know that THP doesnt have to do anything for me - if they r a reputable co they would step up - like JOS said - im just tryin to find out if they r makin a good fix for the speedos ...... its easy for u to say just pull the bars and redo - $125 buys me more time to recoupe from shootin my load on buyin the bike ....... i thought this would help other owners .... PRAISE THE LORD , AMEN .......WTF
Old 04-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Missing Custom build, AIH replacement
Not Ranked     
speedo

I agree with Merlinhawaii 100%, has anyone tried going a different direction with the whole speedo issue?? I've only had my texas chopper since last October, and the damn speedo thing bit me in the ass also, but I wasnt that upset about it cause afte reading much info here, I was expecting it. I would love to do away with some of the AIH proprietary parts, & the speedo thing was the first thing that came to mind when I purchased the bike. I think its great that THP is working with past customers to correct the problom, but I realy dont want to deal with the whole hasle(thats just me) So my million dollar qusetion here is has anyone tried something else. I would love to just go with the old reliable needle speedo & do away with the whole electronic thing.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 AM
'03 AIH/113" S&S
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2003 AIH 113"
Not Ranked     
Put your speedo on ebay and use the proceeds toward a new one.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:09 PM
DON'T WORRY - BE HAPPY
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayrr40
So my million dollar qusetion here is has anyone tried something else. I would love to just go with the old reliable needle speedo & do away with the whole electronic thing.
You can still stay electronic, and have the traditional analog look.

The problem is adapting something different to the proprietary AIH bars

So you have to get new bars (and risers) - not that big a deal

And you have to get a new speedo, cup, and mount - again, not that big a deal

When it's all said and done, you've eliminated the Thunderheart/AIH dilemma, and you won't have to deal with that again

Old 04-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Missing Custom build, AIH replacement
Not Ranked     
bars

eGay, that would be a good option if someone was looking to buy shit that doesn't work!! I hear ya Merlin, was thinking of going with set of 6" risers or more with a set of whiskey bars & realy havent determined what speedo to use? Might just deal with it this yr. & do that as my winter project, who no's.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:46 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 CFL
Not Ranked     
I talked to a guy that mounted a Dakota Digital speedo simple as 1-2-3.
He made a simple stainless bracket right angle, drilled it to mount to existing
holes then drilled it to mount the Dakota Digital -wiring is easy. You could do it all on a Saturday.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008 Eddie Trotta Drop Rigid
Send a message via Yahoo to daywlkr29
Not Ranked     
Just wanted to report back to you Ironhorse guys.. I had the issue with the speedometer and Brooke and the Thunderheart guys came through.. I just had to pay for the shipping to and from and luckily I did not have to pay anything for them to repair... Everything is working fine. Thanks to those who passed on the information on Thunder-Heart.

These forums are more than just to have pissing contests... LOL

Club Chopper works.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hey guys.. The bushings that holds my handle bars to the the forks are shot (03 Slammer) Where can I buy some new ones?
Thanks...
Old 04-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Drag Specialties, or even some stock H-D ones work, but your better off going with poly bushings from Drag if you do not mind a little more vibration on your hands they last a hell of a lot longer. Any V-twin shop can get you some.

Justin
Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks Justin, really appreciate it..
Old 07-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Member/Admin
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 96 Yamaha Virago 750
Not Ranked     
I split this topic into it's own thread, lot's of good info here.

Last edited by Ace of Spades; 07-22-2008 at 12:06 PM..