Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Anyone use a Kraft Tech frame for their build?
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Today
Replies: 35
Views: 1,289
Tranny
Last Post: Daxcobra
Posted On: Today
Replies: 0
Views: 13
5 BBC frame weld problems
Last Post: waxlrose
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 1,142
Views: 132,258
Midwest to Sturgis 2014
Last Post: BA Bobbers
Replies: 0
Views: 10
D3ath
Last Post: BadDawg
Replies: 14
Views: 609
More...
Old 06-19-2008, 04:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2 Up CFL 96 S&S
Not Ranked     
What is stock fork length?

I'm sure this has been covered but couldn't find it with a search. I was wondering what is the stock length of forks and where is it measured from? So, when someone says it is a +2 fork, what would the length be? I assume it is the same for springers.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2008, 06:11 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Mostly measured from the top of the trees' to the centerline of the axle.

31" to 32" is pretty much stock length on a stock bike.

I corrected the length I originally posted, went and measured this time!

Last edited by Ricky-D; 06-20-2008 at 09:30 AM..
Old 06-19-2008, 07:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 01 Fatboy,65 Matchless, 83 V-65, +more
Send a message via AIM to rastoy
Not Ranked     
Stock length for an FL is 31 1/2"
Stock springer is 31" top bearing to axle.
This is from memory but I think I'm close.

Nevermind, you're hopeless.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:55 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Nasty Boy "BluePrint" TP 121" Baker 6
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramvtx
I'm sure this has been covered but couldn't find it with a search. I was wondering what is the stock length of forks and where is it measured from? So, when someone says it is a +2 fork, what would the length be? I assume it is the same for springers.
Thanks.
The fork length is the distance from to top of the fork tubes to the centerline of the axle. You should double check with front-end manufacturer what they consider to be a stock length. Most consider anywhere between 30-32 inches for the base reference length, so a 2+ can be 32 or 34, depending on the front-end builder. Are you changing your front-end? Be sure to calculate the geometry of the bike when selecting the front, calculation is easy - stay between 3.5-5.0 inches of trail:

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html
http://www.goldammercycle.com/hispeed/rakeandtrail.php
Old 06-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
People get confused that "stock" is some kind of magical length and your simply add a measurement to get "overstock" fork length.

It all begins with: What is stock? Depending on the year, make and model those numbers vary enough to make or break using "overstock" as any kind of reference unless you are holding a certain make, model, year fork for that reference.

If you are seeking the information for modification of a custom bike, then there is no such thing as stock. Changes in frame height, rake angle and even different wheels and tires all account for random dimensions. Ultimately you will have to set the frame on blocks with the rear wheel in place, measure the height of the front axle and account for the length of fork needed to get from the trees to the axle and purchase fork tubes that make that happen (or a whole front end).
Old 06-20-2008, 05:14 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The question relates to a new build, CFL 2 up. In looking at springer fronts, they typicaly give a measurement as stock length or 2 over, 4 over etc.. I don't have the frame yet to measure but am told I need a 2 over. Other sites give actual fork length and sometimes from bottom of tree to axle. Just looking for some consistancy.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:36 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
That is the big problem...consistency. The correct measure for a springer is pretty well no-existent since some reference the bottom of the bottom tree and some reference the bottom of the bottom bearing to the axle (latter one at least having a solid point that doesn't change.)

The wheels and tires are variables. Ultimately you will need to mock things up with your chosen wheel and tire sizes take some measurments and then check with the springer manufacturer for a tangble measure. There is easily several inches of "stock" front end difference so the whole concept of "over stock" is really not very useful...unless you have the manufacturers "stock" length and apply over stock addition to that base measurment. Then it is easy to figure out. Add about 1" for compression under static weight of the bike and realize that you need the bottom of bearing to axle center dimension, which is not a straight shot (rockers move the axle forward and usually up from the rear fork pivots and more so as trail comp is required).
Of course an easy solution is to find another CFL owner with identical wheels and tires, running a springer and get their front part number for reference.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Ok, thanks for all replies. I guess I just have to wait till I have the frame and wheels here (next week) and do the math.
Sponsored Links