Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
I'm Baaaaaaaack...
Last Post: pushrod243
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 2
Views: 245
10 My First Build... an 06 CFL 2Up 2Out
Last Post: Rigid Heathen
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 26
Views: 786
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: axeychrome
Posted On: 10-23-2020
Replies: 28
Views: 1,298
Teardrop Gas Tank Replacement
Last Post: R1_4Life
Posted On: 10-22-2020
Replies: 0
Views: 71
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 10-21-2020
Replies: 41
Views: 1,795
More...
Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Shovel, Pan, Iron
Not Ranked     
Magneto Tech Hunt vs. Morris

I have been pulling my hair out on some timing and tuning issues with my Morris Mag. When I first set it up, everything ran perfect and the bike nearly always fired on the first or second kick. For the past 1000 miles or so, it has been vary difficult to kick over. So I re-tuned the S&S carb and reset the timing. This is where I found an interesting problem and issue with the Morris mag cam gear.

The Morris cam gear did not fit snuggly on the cam end and was turning on the cam. The retaining pin on the cam gear sheared or was depressed into the gear, meaning it was too short when installed at the factory. So my cam gear was slipping and my timing was all over the place, meaning the bike was only kicking over when the gear would rotate into the proper timing position. I beleive this cam gear from Morris was faulty in design and function.

I went to Hunt Magnetos in Rancho Cordova and showed the experts my cam gear. They were stumped as to why the pin retracted into the gear or was sheared. Anyway, they showed me a Hunt cam gear which was twice as beefy as the Morris gear. The Hunt cam gear had a roll pin that was perfectly seated into the gear to eliminate the above described problem.

In examining and comparing the Hunt to the Morris, I would have to say that the Hunt is a more reliable magneto due to the much heavier and more precise cam gear and main shaft. Everything else is the same as a Morris, except the Hunt is a few hundred less!! Hunt is $1000 and the Morris is $1500. Both are CNC machined aluminum and virtually the same in structure and specs.

I'm just glad George and I found the problem before my motr got fucked up from running too far advanced!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 04:44 PM
PART OF THE CREW FUCK OFF
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 07 919
Not Ranked     
did you have to go back to morris for parts or did hunt help you out with a fix or parts
Old 02-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 68 FL / 95 Sporty
Not Ranked     
good info, I'm no doubt going to mag on my shovel, I'll keep this in mind when the time comes.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2008 street glide
Not Ranked     
damn DB happy i got the hunt from you instead of the morris
Old 02-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Shovel, Pan, Iron
Not Ranked     
I used the Hunt cam gear and adapted it to my Morris. Fits just fine as the grooves are exactly the same. One other difference between the Hunt and the Morris cam gear is the Hunt cam gear is universal for use with Twin Cam which makes it a 3 part cam gear. I am not really crazy about that. They both have their good points and bad points. The Morris is a one piece cam gear exclusively designed for a specific motor application, which is nice. It just seems that the tolerances of the Hunt are a bit tighter.

Don't get me wrong. The Morris is a fine unit, I am just not impressed with the way they designed the cam gear timing pin. One nice thing about the Morris that Hunt does not have on the cam gear is an additional pin hole to adjust the mag out another 9 degrees! It is also possible I may have just received a faulty cam gear set up from Morris. The scary part is that if the cam gear slips, your motor will be out of time and run too far advaned or too far retarded. If it runs too far advanced you can burn up the motor. The real scary part is that the cam gear pin is nearly the last place anyone would check if they had problems. I'm just glad George and I figured it out.

Anyway, I put the Hunt cam gear in my Morris. Process was not difficult as it just went back to basic timing and adjustments. Pulled the plugs, moved the fly to TDC, set the small lobe where the points were barely open, then set to .015 gap. Closed her up and she fired on the 4th kick! Runs like a top!

I am a dealer for Hunt, Morris, and Cycle Electric. I will continue to use all three as they are all top quality manufacturers of teh parts you need for your kick only scooter!!! Some just have better features than others and vice versa.

IT is all good! I enjoyed going throught he trouble shooting of the mag, it is the only way to learn about them. Some things you just cannot read from a book. I learn by doing. The mags are essentially just like a car distributor. IT is just too bad they are not designed for 180 or 360 degree rotation!!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
DB- Sorry to hear you had trouble, but in reference to the shear pin, we use an alloy dowel pin, much stronger than a roll pin. Check to see if your rotor has been scraping inside, because the pin should shear if the mag was locking up (otherwise, worse things, like gear teeth, will go flying).

Our gear is identical to the gear pressed on to an XL #2 cam, except that the bore is smaller, .623 instead of, I believe, .625 on the HD gear. Sounds like someone may have adapted a stock HD gear, I dunno. If I saw the gear I could tell you.

As per pricing, you are comparing 2 different animals; they've made there H4 to look somewhat like our M5, but it's actually more similar to our MM74L, about a $100. difference. The M5 is an impulse mag, better for starting, especially if you have a big motor, high compression, electric start, etc. Either way, the Morris mags are designed for longer life for a whole host of reasons, many of which take a lot more money to produce, definitely the better value.

Then again, I guess I'm partial, but either way, mags ain't cheap. All we do is focus on motorcycle magnetos, we don't re-sell vertex car magnetos with a sticker slapped on them. Anyhow, if you have any further magneto issues or problems, feel free to contact us.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1942 Harley 45 Magnum
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrismags View Post
DB- Sorry to hear you had trouble, but in reference to the shear pin, we use an alloy dowel pin, much stronger than a roll pin. Check to see if your rotor has been scraping inside, because the pin should shear if the mag was locking up (otherwise, worse things, like gear teeth, will go flying).

Our gear is identical to the gear pressed on to an XL #2 cam, except that the bore is smaller, .623 instead of, I believe, .625 on the HD gear. Sounds like someone may have adapted a stock HD gear, I dunno. If I saw the gear I could tell you.

As per pricing, you are comparing 2 different animals; they've made there H4 to look somewhat like our M5, but it's actually more similar to our MM74L, about a $100. difference. The M5 is an impulse mag, better for starting, especially if you have a big motor, high compression, electric start, etc. Either way, the Morris mags are designed for longer life for a whole host of reasons, many of which take a lot more money to produce, definitely the better value.

Then again, I guess I'm partial, but either way, mags ain't cheap. All we do is focus on motorcycle magnetos, we don't re-sell vertex car magnetos with a sticker slapped on them. Anyhow, if you have any further magneto issues or problems, feel free to contact us.

Morrismags....can you tell me if this set up is one of yours and if the camshaft gear is available.....my buddy just bought this but the drive gear is missing... any help is greatfully needed.....

Old 10-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
subscribed. I want to put a Mag on my Evo and this is good info
Sponsored Links