Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
My Garage Build , 4 Up CFL
Last Post: jondle1
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 116
Views: 11,546
Kandy
Last Post: spidr
Replies: 47
Views: 1,962
This is where it begins -- New Build
Last Post: Old Guy
Replies: 9
Views: 418
Bulletpruf jackshaft question
Last Post: pushrod243
Replies: 1
Views: 47
Road King wheel option...
Last Post: pushrod243
Replies: 4
Views: 164
More...
Old 06-14-2007, 05:12 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Leaky Revtech

I have a Revtech 100 I bought in 2001. I had to have the crank replaced 2 years ago. Since then the motor has been blowing oil out the crank seal. I run a 3" open BDL, so I really love the oil all over my bike. I should note that I built a custom chin spoiler/oil tank when I built the bike in 2003. At the same time the motor was rebuilt, I move the oil filter to the inside of the BDL back plate. I run the head breather to an open canister (sold in JP) with a breather mounted on the rear head breather bolt. My engine builder talked me into replacing the stock breather run by the cams to a reed valve last winter, but the problem actually seems worse since then. I don't think moving the oil filter would have caused the problem, but I have no idea where to start looking to fix the problem. My engine builder isn't being helpfull, like maybe it's his fault, or he didn't clean or put it back together correctly. Any info from you guys or phone #/email would be appreciated.

Thanks
Zrod.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2007, 05:16 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
blowing oil out the crank seal is a common problem. not neccesarily anyones fault. try a new seal. it only takes about an hour to replace. no big deal.

Old 06-14-2007, 05:30 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 96" Ultima custom
Not Ranked     
Mabey when the crank was done the seal was put in the way it comes from Revtech. The seal has to be reversed when running an open primary.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I've had 2 new seals in it over the last 2 years, but I put it in the way it came out. The engine didn't leak before it was rebuilt.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006, Custom Chopper, 100 C.I.
Not Ranked     
is the filter for a v-twin or evo? i have read that the wrong filter can do this.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2006, Custom Chopper, 100 C.I.
Not Ranked     
is the filter for a v-twin or evo? i have read that the wrong filter can do this.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 02 rigid choppa, 03 Geezer-Glide, 47 AJS
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menaceman
You mean twin cam or evo. I have heard that the twin cam filters are a "tighter" filter and can cause sumping and leaks at the crank seal.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 10ft. long custom
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by apehangeralfy
You mean twin cam or evo. I have heard that the twin cam filters are a "tighter" filter and can cause sumping and leaks at the crank seal.
yeah I found out the hard way about this. no more tc filters for me.

http://www.caldavid.com/911/911.swf
Old 06-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 06 pitbull
Not Ranked     
possibly the vent line to the oil tank is not open or too much oil in it
Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
You mentioned 'rebuilt'...was it modified? Larger bore, different cam? What breather gear do you have (reed type)?

The v-twin was designed to run a wet primary so the crank seal is installed to all the crankcase to push oil out to the primary. Running an open primary requires reversing the seal so the lip faces into the engine to work properly.

Venting, different timing (cam), change to the beather gear can all impact crankcase pressure. Seems the reed type breathers are causing various leaks but it could be related to other venting issues on custom bikes.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:11 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: which one
Not Ranked     
tim e to put a different oil pump on it. if it stopd leaking thats yer kink. il bet thats the problemo.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:05 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Just to clairify on the seal installed backwards - If installed correctly the spring that's in the seal would be toward the motor. If I install it backwards I sould be able to see the spring on the outside of the motor before I put the stator back on. I did know about the wrong oil filter thing, and the guy I buy oil from also knows. What I did do though, is when I moved the oil filter to the primary I went from a long filter to a short filter. As for the oil pump, I had to remake the fitting that came out the bottom of the pump so I could run the line toward the back of the bike instead of the front where the oil filter was originally mounted. I also had the pump off, could I have put something back together wrong that would cause the case pressure to build?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Pumps have a feed check valve that requires about 3psi to open. When the engine is running and the pressure is available, the valve opens to allow flow. When the engine is off, the valve closes to prevent oil from draining into the crankcase. There is also a check valve on the oil return. A failure in either check can drain oil into the crankcase. Excess oil could result in a bit of pressure and lost oil until the pump scavenges the crankcase again. Check the tank level after running and later after setting (may take a while...days..week depending on valve conditions).

Stock crank seals are installed with the tension spring visable or sticking out from the engine. Open seals are installed with the tension spring on the seal not visable or towards the engine. The tension spring goes around the lip of the seal to keep it tight around the crank (clarification for people not familiar with a seal).
Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I have the same motor with the same problem. I have put a new crank seal. checked the head breather,even lowered oil pressure by installing a shorter spring. what is the proper way to check crank case vent?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Do you have the correct cam cover gasket on it? If you have a gasket for a headbreather setup on a crankcase vented setup it will sump