Club Chopper Forums

Club Chopper Forums (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/)
-   Shop Talk (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/shop-talk/)
-   -   Oil seal leak..CAN'T FIX!!! (http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/shop-talk/50631-oil-seal-leak-cant-fix.html)

Stynie 03-31-2007 03:44 PM

Oil seal leak..CAN'T FIX!!!

I don't know what else to do. After changing this f in thing 3 times,the crank seal on my bike is still leaking!!! I have changed the spacer, siliconed outside of the seal, installed it "squarely", siliconed the stator bolts. Please spare me the "Harley's are supposed to leak". This one isn't. It's an Ultima 113. I don't know what else to do. I have read other threads on this subject, and tried what others have suggested, but..............

Mr Scary 03-31-2007 03:52 PM

Can you tell exactly where the leak is coming from?

Between the spacer and the rubber?

lorider93 03-31-2007 03:53 PM

if you are running an open primary i beleive yo uare suppose to install the thing backwards, but not sure pm mr. scary he is more familiar with that problem. how many miles on your motor?

Toecutter 03-31-2007 03:57 PM

Are you sure the seal is going in the right way? Open end facing in. If all else fails you might have a crankcase breather issue.

lorider93 03-31-2007 04:04 PM

check all the oil lines make sure nothing is clogged it can happen

BOSS 03-31-2007 04:31 PM

i have the same problem....another 'wrench' told me it could be the amount of offset (i have a 1.5") causing it...he thinks an outer bearing support may correct the problem. i have replaced mine a few times and it always leaks...i put on some extra 'gasket goo' as well...oh well as i say...'it adds to the mystique'....

canius-lupis 03-31-2007 04:44 PM

Has any one tried a speedy sleeve on them to tighten the tolerance.

Mr Scary 03-31-2007 04:54 PM

You guys are missing something.

If it's leaking between the rubber and the sprocket shaft spacer(pic below),

Then one of the two is bad. If you need an outer bearing support, then you had better check your main bearing. because the sprocket shaft should not be moving around even with an open primary.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...1/DSCF0302.jpg

Stynie 03-31-2007 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Scary
Can you tell exactly where the leak is coming from?

Between the spacer and the rubber?

no it's hard to tell. i had it out today for the first time since changing the spacer and new seal. when i stopped and got off, i looked down and it was dry. then it came out about 30-40 seconds later. lol.....looked like when you cut yourself and it dosen't bleed right away....then:(. so when i got home i tore it apart and it was kinda wet all over. i wiped just the seal to see if anymore would weep between the seal and the case, but no more appeared. it's a 1" offset, but i myself don't think that has anything to do with my problem, but what do i know, i can't stop this leak. i am using $4 seals. should i try something better?

rastoy 03-31-2007 08:11 PM

Try putting an o-ring on the shaft before you put the seal on. I did that when I reversed my seal on my 120 Ultima and so far (knock on wood) so good.

Stynie 03-31-2007 08:42 PM

you mean behind the spacer?

cntrhub 03-31-2007 10:17 PM

Yes, behind the spacer. If you don't, then the oil will drip in between the spacer and output shaft. Maybe that's where your leak is?

Stynie 03-31-2007 10:19 PM

you know, i was thinking that. i guess you don't want one too thick right?

PORKROASTER 03-31-2007 11:08 PM

It NEVER leaks when standing still? If this is the case, I doubt the seal is the problem.

BiggyD 04-01-2007 06:39 AM

breather issue