Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: donald branscom
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 25
Views: 5,462
Tank Building Tutorial.
Last Post: Markee
Posted On: 08-18-2019
Replies: 99
Views: 22,839
Starting a New Build but its not a CFL
Last Post: 666 Spot
Posted On: 08-18-2019
Replies: 16
Views: 1,525
Oil Lines
Last Post: Maustarman
Posted On: 08-14-2019
Replies: 9
Views: 1,841
Bars upside down
Last Post: Poop
Posted On: 08-12-2019
Replies: 3
Views: 185
More...
Old 03-15-2004, 11:30 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 04 special construction
Not Ranked     
Unhappy 100 Rev Tech Starter Problem?

I don't know if I have a problem or not.I started my new Rev Tech 100 this weekend and it started fine.After 2 or 3 starts the starter started to make a loud shrilling type noise when engaged and the engine would not spin over.I removed the plugs and it would spin over freely.I went to the trouble of pulling the primary and pulling out the jackshaft.It all looks good.I guess my question is if the engine has too much compression,will the starter over ride clutch make this shrill type noise.I am using a gear reduction spyke starter with over ride clutch.I had a 270 cold cranking battery in it,but have upgraded to a 310 cca battery.I also am going to install a pair of compression releases.When the starter makes this noise,the jackshaft is engaged to the flywheel and is trying to turn the engine.Has anyone encountered this before?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2004, 03:49 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Redneck Gettin' High, 100" RevTech
Not Ranked     
Angry

I have a Redneck Gettin' High w/ the same RevTech 100" motor (mine is the psuedo-panhead style), and I have the same issues starting when it is cold. Here in Detroit, unfortunately, it is cold more than it is warm, and I like to ride in almost any weather. I've installed a better battery with about 500 cold cranking amps (the stock battery was a piece of crap w/ 175 cold-cranking amps), but if it is below about 60 degrees outside, it is a stone bitch to start (same noises you described). Worse, even with the new battery, I only get about 3 tries to start it, and if no dice, it's back on the trickle charger.
I'd definitely be interested to know if it is worth installing the compression releases, but in the meantime, I'll be waiting on warmer weather and better starting ...
Old 03-15-2004, 04:16 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink starter

Mdarmi, Thanks for the reply.At least I know this is not a isolated problem with my setup.I have not tried my new 310 cca battery yet and have not installed the compression releases.I will have to wait untill next weekend to do this.I found out that the new 100 rev tech does not have a place for the compression releases because they put smaller cams in them.When I first started mine with a new fully charged 270 cca battery,it cranked fine,but like yours,the battery quickly crapped out.Must take a lot of juice to turn that thing.I believe the compression releases will fix the problem.I will post a reply to what I find next weekend.

Last edited by G. KERR; 03-15-2004 at 04:24 PM..
Old 03-15-2004, 05:46 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2002 Custom softail
Not Ranked     
I am running a 100" Revtech with compression releases and mine was also very hard to turn over. You may want to check your timing and make sure you have a good ground, you may want to consider running a ground wire from the battery to one of the starter mounting bolts...........On advice I got rid of my Spyke starter and went with a Terry Componants starter and it was like night and day in the difference.
good luck
Old 03-15-2004, 06:57 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: rigid
Not Ranked     
I too have a 100in R/T with comp releases and HAD starting troubles. I was using a 1.4KW starter which wasn't big enough. I went with a 2.0KW starter (its a big dude) and the largest diameter cables I could find (SUMAX). A buddy says use the new Generation II Compu fire. Anyway, I ran the battery ground cable to one of the starter mounting bolts and another cable from one of the starter mounting bolts to a clean bare frame ground. Rechecked timing (Karata Magneto) and everything is fine. It starts within 2 revolutions each and every time. The big difference was the big starter motor. With the big starter motor, the comp releases don't appear to be necessary. PS. Make sure you open the throttle just a bit. Helps a lot. Good luck. Dump
Old 03-15-2004, 07:08 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
starter problem

I have the two ground cables from the starter mounting bolt,one to the frame and one to the neg. battery cable.I will check to see what setting I have my ignition set to for the timing.Do the compression releases make any difference in the starter turning the engine over easier.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom 280 RSD Chopper, TP-124
Not Ranked     
A 1.4kw starter should turn over a 100" RevTech with no problems, with or without compression release. As Dump said, recheck your ground and power connections to the starter.

CCNU RULES!
Old 03-16-2004, 05:52 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2007 Road King Custom
Not Ranked     
I have the Revtech 100 on my Hard Core II bike. I called Custom Chrome tech support regarding the compression release valves. They responded by saying that on the 2003 or 2004 Revtech 100 they changed out the cam to the 100 cam. Therefore eliminating the trouble in starting. This 100 cam is in my engine and I havenít had any problems starting it...yet.

Mike
Old 03-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I have a similar problem with my revtech 100" with compression release valves installed. I started it two days ago with an older 260cca battery and it started after a couple cranks. Went to start it today and the starter did a clunk. Went and got a new 325cca battery installed it, and still just a clunk. Took off the primary cover, hit the start button, the jackshaft is engaging but not spinning, just a clunk (no grinding, no noises) and nothing. I pulled the starter, and found that the negative post was a bit loose, tightened it up and installed it again. and still the starter engaging (clunk) and not turining? Any ideas?
Old 03-12-2016, 05:07 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 04' CCI Rick Doss Rocket
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIUC3 View Post
I have a similar problem with my revtech 100" with compression release valves installed. I started it two days ago with an older 260cca battery and it started after a couple cranks. Went to start it today and the starter did a clunk. Went and got a new 325cca battery installed it, and still just a clunk. Took off the primary cover, hit the start button, the jackshaft is engaging but not spinning, just a clunk (no grinding, no noises) and nothing. I pulled the starter, and found that the negative post was a bit loose, tightened it up and installed it again. and still the starter engaging (clunk) and not turining? Any ideas?
I had this exact same problem with my 110" revtech. I ran extra 00 awg ground wires and changed my battery to a Odyssey with 510 cranking amps. Still nothing. I was looking into compression releases when I found a solution to my problem from a member on this forum. It was to install a kill switch on the coils. This let's all the juice start cranking the motor. Then you flip the switch, light the coils and BOOM. It solved my problem.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
If your starter is going ..clunk..it sounds like it is a good time for a cleaning..the rotor contacts get an oxidation on them..pull it apart and light sand all copper ...Did you ever find out what the shrilling noise was? would be interesting to know what that is ..theres really nothing in there that would make that noise unless something is stripping..I think they should put compression releases on all large v twins..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 05-10-2016, 01:29 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2014 Custom chop 100"
Not Ranked     
@Slomoshun
It was to install a kill switch on the coils. This let's all the juice start cranking the motor. Then you flip the switch, light the coils and BOOM. It solved my problem.

Can you explain this further? I'm having an issue similar on my 100"
I run the key,, I hear the clunk of hr starter plunger but nothing, only starts with a jump.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:46 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Wow, this is a new one on me..Not doubting what you are saying , but it only taks a very small fraction of the current to operate the ignition module and spark a coil, then it does to turn an engine over.. You shouldn't have to be doing what you are describing here, unless you battery is very small...

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2016, 01:59 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
On mine I have the cr on the plug side. Never seen em before this bike.
My issue is that the bat is sitting at 13.4 but when I try and crank it, the starter just goes clunk.
Now if I jump it,, it will crank and fire up.
I've been told higher cca battery, cr, starter/wiring, and or charging system.
The battery doesn't seem to be going dead, just like it's not enough balls to crank the engine over without the jump
Old 05-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel52 View Post
Wow, this is a new one on me..Not doubting what you are saying , but it only taks a very small fraction of the current to operate the ignition module and spark a coil, then it does to turn an engine over.. You shouldn't have to be doing what you are describing here, unless you battery is very small...
Yes it is a very small battery

Not sure the specs yet
But yes,, turn key clunk,,, boost with charger fires right up