Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
dnepr opposite motor bobber
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Today
Replies: 3
Views: 93
old style 39mm lower legs
Last Post: CIC2016
Replies: 0
Views: 19
looking for
Last Post: tofferj6
Views: 323
Light blew on my ignition
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Yesterday
Views: 42
Dnepr K-758 1968.
Last Post: Kalserg
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 0
Views: 10
More...
Old 06-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1999 Road King Classic 95"
Send a message via AIM to Hoodlum
Not Ranked     
[quote=isiahstites]I am not an expert on motors. From all of my past reading there are a lot and I mean a lot of people that are very happy with there Ultima motors...........and there is always a couple people who are not happy or have had some serious problems.

Indeed, this is true, however Gypsy's point is well taken. Show me someone happy with a hotrod motor after a few hundred or even a few thousand miles, and I think that's nice for them, and expected. Honeymoon phase. If it doesn't make it to 1k as quite a few posts have shown, that's just bad quality control.

But until we start seeing some with 20k+ miles, who knows how good they are going to be in the long run.

i can tell you my 95 inch 99 twin cam a was/is a good motor with good longevity, because I have over 50k miles on it, lot's of mixed up driving conditions, hot runs throught the desert that overheated me before the motor, long days at over 85, 90mph all day, and every day 5 miles commutes for 5 years. Runs great. Never an issue. I've heard similar stories about even big inch S&S motors. Don't know yet about the ultimas, but they do make a fast engine for a low price. They looks good too. As I said before, I don't think even THEY know yet or they wouldn't have that embarassing 6 month warrantee on the 120 an 127.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: custom prostreet 113" ultima
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodlum

Indeed, this is true, however Gypsy's point is well taken. Show me someone happy with a hotrod motor after a few hundred or even a few thousand miles, and I think that's nice for them, and expected. Honeymoon phase. If it doesn't make it to 1k as quite a few posts have shown, that's just bad quality control.

But until we start seeing some with 20k+ miles, who knows how good they are going to be in the long run.

i can tell you my 95 inch 99 twin cam a was/is a good motor with good longevity, because I have over 50k miles on it, lot's of mixed up driving conditions, hot runs throught the desert that overheated me before the motor, long days at over 85, 90mph all day, and every day 5 miles commutes for 5 years. Runs great. Never an issue. I've heard similar stories about even big inch S&S motors. Don't know yet about the ultimas, but they do make a fast engine for a low price. They looks good too. As I said before, I don't think even THEY know yet or they wouldn't have that embarassing 6 month warrantee on the 120 an 127.
As far as there being quite a few posts with motors not making it to 1k..........I guess it depends on like what a few other members were saying was it set up correctly to start? I know that some of the people who didnt make it to 1k could teach me a thing or two but maybe they just got a bad motor from the start. I know intially mine was not set up correct and thanks to Gypsy and Bryan TTM I was able to get it dialed in.

I agree until we see a bunch of people with some higher mileage on these motors the jury is out as far as longevity goes.

As far as your 99 Twin Cam goes if I am not mistaken I have read that they had there fare share of problems in the beginning. I think most people think of a TC as a reliable motor, however I have a few friends who have had problems with these motors in the beginning and they like a few members on this thread who think Ultima is junk think they are junk and will never buy again. Point being any motor manufacture is bound to have a few problems with a few of there motors and not everyone is going to be happy. Whether they are successful or not depends on if they take the neccessary steps to correct the problem.

Scott
Old 06-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Breaking Shit Since 1981
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL Under the Knife
Send a message via Yahoo to wildwill8
Not Ranked     
I think if you are on a buget get a HD crated motor if you have the money and if you want to Run with the Big Boys go for a S&S or TP

I would not give a revtech a look
Ulitma Like everone has said new not to much Tread Info On them

CAN YOU DRIVE BETTER WITH THAT CELL PHONE UP YOUR ASS
Old 06-30-2006, 08:40 AM
true to the cause
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: A rideable A - Zedder
Not Ranked     
Granted, all motor manufacturers will have problems form time to time, I`d just like to see how these motors are treated though, especially with regard to break in procedure and regular oil change and filters. I`ll bet a lot of guys get impatient with the run in on a new motor and start beatin on it to keep up with the pack, I may be wrong, but I bet I ain`t.

" Limp Bizkit sucks fucken dick"

Old 06-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: custom prostreet 113" ultima
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeway
Granted, all motor manufacturers will have problems form time to time, I`d just like to see how these motors are treated though, especially with regard to break in procedure and regular oil change and filters. I`ll bet a lot of guys get impatient with the run in on a new motor and start beatin on it to keep up with the pack, I may be wrong, but I bet I ain`t.
I bet you are right as well!
Old 06-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 Barefoot Choppa
Not Ranked     
I'm thinkin about havin my mom break mine in, she never goes over 50mph. Just gotta teach her how not to lug a motor!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 08:56 AM
true to the cause
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: A rideable A - Zedder
Not Ranked     
Most rice burners only need an oil change at 500 and their good to go with a 14`000 rpm rev range, but at 5700 to 6300 you need at least twice that for a v-twin to even think about raising the bar. The benefits of proper break in far outweigh the hassle you may have at a later date, breaking rods, blowing gaskets, holing pistons, weakening cranks etc, etc, the list could go on, the amount of friction generated on a tight motor can put your investment into retirement before you enjoyed it. Treat em nice boys and put some miles on em first.

" Limp Bizkit sucks fucken dick"

Old 06-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Breaking Shit Since 1981
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: CFL Under the Knife
Send a message via Yahoo to wildwill8
Not Ranked     
Hear you on that one freeway I been riding mine around like I was 16 and got my 1st rode bike

CAN YOU DRIVE BETTER WITH THAT CELL PHONE UP YOUR ASS
Old 06-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwill8
Hear you on that one freeway I been riding mine around like I was 16 and got my 1st rode bike
I'd blow mine in a week if I rode it like I did at 16!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2006, 09:14 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2009 bobber HD/S&S
Not Ranked     
Early on I had a valve train problem with my Ultima 113" but It WAS DUE TO MY ERROR. Since them It starts and runs awesome, way more power than a softail frame should even have!. However it is my Bar/poker run bike so it does not get the high mileage award. I have every confidence in the internals but I think for the longest life a milder valve train would be in order. I probably will buy another when I build the next bike.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor  
Bike Year, Make, Engine: Some kind of big ass V2, Alcohaulin' Ass
Send a message via ICQ to Mr Scary
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeway
I`ll bet a lot of guys get impatient with the run in on a new motor and start beatin on it to keep up with the pack, I may be wrong, but I bet I ain`t.
Ding Ding Ding.

That would be me! But I ain't tryin to keep up with the pack. Trust me.

I'm not gonna lie about it. I've been extremely hard on this engine. I've been beating the shit out of it after about 200 miles. Probably a little before that.

This engine was an experiment for me from the get go. If this engine fails(and god knows i'm pushin it to its limits), I aint gonna blame Ulitima!!!!!!!!!!!

^ ^ ^Click The Pic^ ^ ^
<--124...127-->
Old 06-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Douchebaggery
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary
Ding Ding Ding.

That would be me! But I ain't tryin to keep up with the pack. Trust me.

I'm not gonna lie about it. I've been extremely hard on this engine. I've been beating the shit out of it after about 200 miles. Probably a little before that.

This engine was an experiment for me from the get go. If this engine fails(and god knows i'm pushin it to its limits), I aint gonna blame Ulitima!!!!!!!!!!!
Always got the hondamatic when she blows!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor  
Bike Year, Make, Engine: Some kind of big ass V2, Alcohaulin' Ass
Send a message via ICQ to Mr Scary
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones168
there is a reason that Kendall Johnson stopped having anything to do with ultima motors,remember?
Yea, I do remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember how great he thought they were!!!!!

I remember how he thought the head design on the Ultimas were some of the best he ever saw!!

I remember how he was impressed with the power they put out Per CI!!!!!!

Then It all changed.

Then a rumor surfaces that claimed that S&S threatened to stop supplying KJ if he continued to support Ultima. (Totaly believable)!!!

Then Killer Klown comes on and starts trashin Ultima with claims like"oil leaks all over that nomatter what you do, you can't stop them" and shit like that.

So, The KJ camp isn't telling the whole truth somewhere along the line.

^ ^ ^Click The Pic^ ^ ^
<--124...127-->
Old 06-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1975 shovel bobber,2007 chopper, 85flh b
Not Ranked     
100 ci 5000+ miles runs great no problems. also 80ci runs great no problems only 500 miles on it. no oil leaks on either motor, I put 800 miles on the 100ci one week end on the interstate at around 85mph for most of the trip not so much as a drip or a hickup,would say yes my next will be a 113 for sure. one thing I recomend is to dyno "AFTER" BREAKIN this is just cheap insurance on set up. these motor's are pretty close on startup but with differant pipes come differant set ups, both of mine have had the S&S carbs also but now they are using mukini's that may be even better, had 2 rev tech's with 45mm mukini's and the carb really worked great. the ultmas have a lot more lope to their cam design also (I love the sound) and in town I used 1 gear lower to put thru town to keep the jerking down to a minium.a 2 into 1 exaust will really wake up the 100 for sure. by the way the 100 dynoed out at 106hp and 114 ft,lbs of tork. had a 130 x 16 on a cruzer and could smoke it to the rim no problem.

Last edited by bcchop; 06-30-2006 at 11:52 AM..
Old 06-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03 BMC w/ S&S 124; 75 Honda chop
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrScary
Yea, I do remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember how great he thought they were!!!!!

I remember how he thought the head design on the Ultimas were some of the best he ever saw!!

I remember how he was impressed with the power they put out Per CI!!!!!!

Then It all changed.

Then a rumor surfaces that claimed that S&S threatened to stop supplying KJ if he continued to support Ultima. (Totaly believable)!!!

Then Killer Klown comes on and starts trashin Ultima with claims like"oil leaks all over that nomatter what you do, you can't stop them" and shit like that.

So, The KJ camp isn't telling the whole truth somewhere along the line.
i hate to read spin like this, because it punishes someone for standing up and saying that a product has quality issues. in this case, it calls his ethics into question.

kendall spoke with me personally, on the phone, about these issues long before they were ever posted up here. he seemed to do so begrudgingly, because he didn't know me from adam, but i had called asking for help, advice, and his opinion on the ultima product. interestingly, the issues he described having with ultima engines, were the very same issues at least three people in my immediate area were having at the same time... all before i named any one of these to him!

maybe this isn't enough to convince all, but it's enough to convince me. he wasn't trying to sell me an engine, and he couldn't have made it up, unless he was sneaking into my hometown late nights and sabotaging several engines repeatedly. between me and my local shops, we know how the engine was set up, and how it was run.

have i ever said that this means no ultimas are worth a crap? no. and i've tried to give credit where it's due: the engine ran like a raped ape.

but when someone asks for input on the quality of ultima engines based on other riders' personal experiences, i feel it's entirely appropriate to speak up. and when someone like kendall johnson puts his reputation on the line endorsing an engine, then lives to regret it after having crappy experiences with it, i appreciate that person coming forward and telling it like it is.

and i'm very sorry that leads people to call his integrity into question.