Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
WTB engraved CFL air filter
Last Post: 2up2out200
Posted On: Today
Replies: 1
Views: 114
dnepr opposite motor bobber
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Today
Views: 36
2005 American ironhorse texas chopper wiring schematics?
Last Post: volksrod2110
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 4
Views: 96
Handtooled Saddlebags w/Python Skin
Last Post: tofferj6
Posted On: Yesterday
Views: 138
Dyna2000i possible issue
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: 05-25-2017
Views: 58
More...
Old 12-23-2014, 04:08 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Ultima Chopper
Not Ranked     
Red Wings, are you referring to the Ultima 127 when you say stroke an engine? Since I am new to Ultima could you elaberate for us? A stroked engine means modified from it's original, like installing a stroker crank. Is the 127 a factory built mold or modified from some other size engine like the 120?...... Knowledge is power!

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
1975 Harley Davidson Shovel head Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2014, 03:26 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2012 Custom Rigid, 127CI Ultima
Not Ranked     
1. 127 CI

2. First time I had issues it was around 2000 miles. I thought it was an issue cause by the original builder where he left the bike fall on the front oulley and it wouldn't stop leaking oil from the crank. Come to find out the crank pin was slightly bent so it would continue to stretch out the seal.

Second time I have had issues is right now at 430 miles on a freshly rebuild motor from Mid West. It's the exact same issue I had prior to the rebuild. Oil continues to leak from the front pulley out of the crank seal. They sent me all the old parts back to ensured of the rebuild. Hopefully they will honor their 6 month 6k mile warranty.

3. Stock

4. Me personally I would have rather fork out extra money for an S&S its spent more time in shops than on the road.

De Oppresso Liber

My Store

Last edited by 910TRPOperator; 12-27-2014 at 04:34 PM..
Old 12-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Do you think it could be the crankcase pressure issue? I had the same thing, until I vented the crankcase, and others here too, Worth looking into.

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana
Old 12-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2012 Custom Rigid, 127CI Ultima
Not Ranked     
I will def have to check that out.

De Oppresso Liber

My Store
Old 12-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Bad Dog chopper
Not Ranked     
In 1999 I built a pro-street bike and put in a 96" S&S. At 110k I had to put in head gaskets and the valves looked good. At 180k I rebuilt the heads and the motor still had great compression. At 210k The front head gasket started leaking and I sold it to my buddy.

He's still riding it so for the $$ I'll go with S&S.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Got 127 maybe 2500 miles. Three ignition replaced. A lifter came apart got tappet blocks, cam and now I'm replacing rocker box base do to bolts pulled the the threads out. I in it for about 600.00 in parts. So not a happy with ultima.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thumbs up from me

I picked a 100"...two reasons...1} easy upgrade to 107 when and if needed 2} Same stroke as factory Evo, which helps longevity due to design criterias. I have over 80,000 miles on it and my only problem has been losing a lifter and having to deal with replacing the damaged parts, which included the cam. But I have no one to blame but me. 5/8 of an inch lift 1600 per minute for God knows how many hours some days ( I have had the motor 4 years ) it had been recommended by many to change lifters at 30 to 35,000 miles regardless of what I felt was going on.....NAW I said...they should go longer with ease. OK...that happened at 41,ooo, and I recently changed them again just because. The factory lifters ( Meaning Ultima ) are made by the same people that made the Evo lifters for H.D., and they are very reasonably priced.

Last edited by Carlos Casal; 03-11-2017 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lucky you...I bought 96" S&S ...broke it in according to their rules, without ever exceeding the recommendations. At 34,00o the motor was wore out. Oh yeah, it still ran, but it was wore out... My 100" Ultima has over 80,000 on it and going strong. I ( for the record ) don't do burnouts or wheelstands...I like to get max miles from my motors...being retired and spending much time on the highways of this great country of ours. My next motor, should I live that long, will without a doubt be another Ultima.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:13 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I have an Ultima 127 I bought way back in 2005. I have had the cylinders off because the base gasket leaked bad from loose cylinder bolts. No problems other than that. Would I take this from the East Coast to the Left Coast? Maybe, but would have a chase truck....Performance means broken parts eventually!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:52 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I run a bit of an odd-ball motor, a demon 114. Built by Ultima for demon. It's a shorter stroke and larger bore than the 113. Also runs the bigger 127 crank. I have maybe 2000 miles on it, still breaking it in. So far so good. The motor was really lean when I got it, would misfired and spit, I adjusted the needle but it wasn't enough so I went up a couple sizes on the needle. Now it's fat. lol. But it doesn't miss anymore. I will have to go back one needle size and try that but all in all, it runs well, tons of power, no leaks, looks good, runs good.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
I have 2 relatively new ultima engines- 120 and 127, both slightly above 3k miles.
both have ultima exhaust, original ignition and carburation.
I'm pretty happy with the way they perform.
Don't know why, but 127 seems noticeably more robust than 120. Even though both bikes are about 500 lb, but perhaps i'm more gentle with the 120 because of my one off open primary chain drive [ a bit scary]. Interestingly, my 113 s&s with 11:1 compression also feels more aggressive than 120.

both fire nicely with 2.5 kw starters and YTX20L equivalent batteries with just above 300 cca . The key - thick as my finger custom battery cables

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber
Old 05-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEINBVG View Post
I have 2 relatively new ultima engines- 120 and 127, both slightly above 3k miles.
both have ultima exhaust, original ignition and carburation.
I'm pretty happy with the way they perform.
Don't know why, but 127 seems noticeably more robust than 120. Even though both bikes are about 500 lb, but perhaps i'm more gentle with the 120 because of my one off open primary chain drive [ a bit scary]. Interestingly, my 113 s&s with 11:1 compression also feels more aggressive than 120.

both fire nicely with 2.5 kw starters and YTX20L equivalent batteries with just above 300 cca . The key - thick as my finger custom battery cables

Maybe the 120 is cammed different. If the power comes on later in the revs it may feel slower at low rpm. Gearing, sprocket teeth, tire size, etc. also play a huge role in whether the bike "feels" quick or not. I have had similar bikes with similar power that felt very different because of gearing. The only other explanation is that the 120 might need a tune, either a bit rich or lean, or maybe the timing is a hair low. Dyno that bad boy and see where it's at (if you haven't already). I can't imagine the 127 makes significantly more power.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
How about the higher compression in the 127? I wonder if that makes a noticeable difference in power?
and didn't Ultima put hotter cams in the older 127 engine, but change them out due to cranking issues? or not?..I have heard that the 120 is your basic touring motor and was built for longevity and not performance..

2004 Ultima 127 Chopper
Shreveport Louisiana

Last edited by Shovel52; 05-09-2017 at 07:53 PM..
Old 05-10-2017, 10:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2010-14; MYSELF; 96",113",120",127"
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel52 View Post
How about the higher compression in the 127? I wonder if that makes a noticeable difference in power?
and didn't Ultima put hotter cams in the older 127 engine, but change them out due to cranking issues? or not?..I have heard that the 120 is your basic touring motor and was built for longevity and not performance..
Yeah, i think 120 is listed with slightly less compression. Cam is the same.
I think it's tuned decently enough, I don't want to dyno torture the engine. I think subjective street tuning is good enough for me...

Indeed having made my own primary, i might have slightly different gearing setup overall which could be making some difference in the perception of acceleration. Again, i'm a bit intimidated and careful with this 'meat grinder', much more than open belts.

But the 120 still might be a bit softer engine than 127 after all.

113"s&s, Walz softail 2000/2012 prostreet
96"s&s, Daytec dyna/ softail hybrid, 2010 chopper
127"Ultima, Chassis Design rigid 2013 bobber
120"Ultima, Kraft Tech rigid 2014 bobber