Club Chopper Forums ychrome  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
2004 Bourget Retro
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: Today
Replies: 3
Views: 156
18-530 Wiring Harness Mounting Location?
Last Post: rstarost
Replies: 0
Views: 33
18-530 Wiring Harness Mounting Location?
Last Post: rstarost
Views: 45
Looking for advice from the Old Pros...
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 19
Views: 541
New Forum Member
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: Yesterday
Views: 43
More...
Old 04-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Texas Chopper S&S 111"
Send a message via AIM to BIGHUS
Not Ranked     
Electrical Problems, need help!

A buddy of mine is having problems with his 04 AIH Tx Chopper. He's had the problem from the day it showed up! Major electrical problem. Something is wrong with the circuit breaker, so bad that you have to kick the rear wheel to get the system to turn on. Im assuming something with the circuit breaker mounted just in front of the rear wheel. He replaced the circuit breaker once, and the problem was fixed for about 2 months, then acted right back up again with the same problems. It will not rev over 4000 RPM without cutting out or it will lose all power. Complete stall. Only way to reset power is to reset the key or tap on the circuit board. Somehow at one point in lauched a large enough ammout of electricity back into the battery to melt the posts, but didnt ruin the battery. It has been at the stealer for the past month, and they dont have any idea what could be going on. Its riding season, and he's getting impatient! Any help you guys can give would be awesome! Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor  
Bike Year, Make, Engine: Some kind of big ass V2, Alcohaulin' Ass
Send a message via ICQ to Mr Scary
Not Ranked     
if you can fix the problem by tapping the circuit board, check for a bad ground.

Circuit boards can be grounded at the mounting points. this can be seen by looking at the solder ring around the hole of the mounting screw.

Also, check for any cold joints. That is, on the board, any solder joint that appears to be good, but has really broken its bond. (ya gotta poke around a little).
Old 04-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor  
Bike Year, Make, Engine: Some kind of big ass V2, Alcohaulin' Ass
Send a message via ICQ to Mr Scary
Not Ranked     
Grounding point (mounting hole).

Old 04-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopper
Send a message via AIM to ewp1954
Not Ranked     
id rewire the whole bike
Old 04-14-2006, 08:11 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 08 FLTR Road Glide
Not Ranked     
Sure sounds like there is a power supply wire somewhere that is gounding out. Re-wiring might be the best fix if you can't find the bad wire or component.

www.orrlakechoppers.com
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2006, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 74 Ironhead
Send a message via Yahoo to RippoDippo
Not Ranked     
Just trailored a BUDDY home yesterday! Right handle bar harness from neck up melted away! Just aftger he installed new chrome switch cases
Old 04-15-2006, 07:05 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: chopper
Send a message via AIM to ewp1954
Not Ranked     
you have to be careful running wires through the handlebars,sometimes its just smarter running them outside less headache
Old 04-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hopefully that dealer has been in contact with our tech assist guys. Sucks to have the bike sit at the dealer for a month and not be fixed. Not dogging the dealer, I'm sure they are trying their best but if they should have called for help!

First thing I would suspect would be the Power Control Module (called the PUC) mounted to the upper splash shield located right behind the oil tank. The PUC has two removable relays (ignition & start) mounted on it as well as some internal circuitry. I'm thinking this is what you were referring to when you wrote "tap on the circuit board". The ignition relay could be coming loose or was never completely seated from the beginning. Those relays are usually a bitch to get off, but I have seen some of them work loose. Also, the PUC has a six-pin Deutsch connector plugged into it. If the pin that supplies power to the igniton module isn't fully seated or was poorly crimped, it will cause intermittent problems. Both potential problems are easy fixes once you can get to the PUC, which is a bit of a chore.

The problem of the bike cutting out or dying at or around 4000 RPM can also be caused by what I wrote above. There is a lot of vibration on that splash shield and at 4000 RPM it could vibrate enough to "break" igntion contacts. There is a fix available for that, which that dealer should know about.

We went away from the whole PUC "thing" in '05, cause the internal circuitry wasn't as solid state as the vendor claimed...
Old 07-21-2020, 09:36 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2000, Softail chopper, 1340 Evo
Not Ranked     
Years after this post but maybe someone can help.

Is this what you have called a PUC. It is in a modified Nemesis kit bike and works but I have had engine dying problems and wondered if anyone has information, circuit diagram, knows what the LEDs mean.
I know main breaker connects to battery and then rectifier and ignition switch.
Another loose wire goes to starter solenoid.
7 wire connector block includes front brake light and horn (as these stopped at same time as middle green LED).
When engine wouldn't start, one of the LEDs was red.
Attached Thumbnails
Electrical Problems, need help!-img_20200717_134344.jpg   Electrical Problems, need help!-img_20200707_123914.jpg