Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Starting a New Build but its not a CFL
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: Today
Replies: 10
Views: 933
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: Poop
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 12
Views: 1,343
5 speed quadseal and enclosed primary
Last Post: Am4wag
Posted On: 07-14-2019
Replies: 2
Views: 66
Mounting WCC belt guard on Brute V
Last Post: modekko
Posted On: 07-13-2019
Replies: 1
Views: 52
bmc
Last Post: pushrod243
Posted On: 07-13-2019
Replies: 2
Views: 105
More...
Old 01-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1965 Electraglide,2000 Nightrain
Not Ranked     
Oh. too bad for those that ride the short bus, the anti American labor crew from CC always cries when its pointed out what a piece of crap the Korean R/T engine is.
Here it was pointed out what is in a good engine, in this case Merch.
The many that respond in positive, cancels the negatives everytime.

Don
Old 01-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: merch131 2001
Not Ranked     
thanks don
i showed my wife all of your comments about merch. as i spent the kitchen remodeling money on a merch 131ho. she disagrees with u. next time i need engine work i will contact u thanks for taking the time
Old 01-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1965 Electraglide,2000 Nightrain
Not Ranked     
Come on crybabies, defend your korean engines

Don
Old 01-22-2006, 10:21 AM
true to the cause
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: A rideable A - Zedder
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by HDFACTORYCERTIF
Come on crybabies, defend your korean engines

Don
Ok!, you got me, I took the bait!.

" Limp Bizkit sucks fucken dick"

Old 01-23-2006, 12:15 AM
30 Day Ban
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1990 flht 113ci
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by freeway
What do you think of the old Shovelheads Don?, your starting to dig yourself a hole again!!

No not the freaky shovel
Old 01-23-2006, 12:33 AM
30 Day Ban
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by HDFACTORYCERTIF
Oh. too bad for those that ride the short bus, the anti American labor crew from CC always cries when its pointed out what a piece of crap the Korean R/T engine is.
Here it was pointed out what is in a good engine, in this case Merch.
The many that respond in positive, cancels the negatives everytime.

Don
Only in your mind Don..only thing you pointed out is ..knowone gave a crap about your merch thread it was lame...All i know is i see the all powerfull R/T everywhere..havent seen a Merch in many years....must of been real funny you sitting there watching the freaky tattoo get all the views..it was then and only then you realized you should get on that bus...let me repeat look into a merch sad very sad...look into a tattoo good very good..you can get off your knees now don it been over a week
Old 01-23-2006, 03:54 AM
30 Day Ban
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by freeway
What do you think of the old Shovelheads Don?, your starting to dig yourself a hole again!!

freeway you said you where going to walla walla land..looks like your in dons shop..holding one of dons fine grinding tools that he uses for head work....looks like you cleaned his shop up a little
Old 01-23-2006, 04:07 AM
true to the cause
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Yeah!, its really 10 past 12, but it looks like 5 past 11, but time is of no consequence in Wally Wally world. If you peek a look behind you can see the monarch lathe whale!

Old 01-23-2006, 04:34 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1960 FL bobber, 1986 FXWG (Evo), 1991 XL
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by plasterhead
Only in your mind Don..only thing you pointed out is ..knowone gave a crap about your merch thread it was lame...All i know is i see the all powerfull R/T everywhere..havent seen a Merch in many years....must of been real funny you sitting there watching the freaky tattoo get all the views..it was then and only then you realized you should get on that bus...let me repeat look into a merch sad very sad...look into a tattoo good very good..you can get off your knees now don it been over a week
I think you'll find quite a few replies to Don's thread DID 'give a crap', or more accurately were appreciative of the information provided. As to the R/T argument, simply saying there's a lot of them around doesn't really say very much - there are, after all, a lot of idiots around but that doesn't mean it's good to be one! The fact that R/T stuff is common only means it's widely available and heavily marketed, not necessarily that its any better than average (and nobody's saying it's shite, just that it isn't the same calibre as Merch). If you're going to take the argument seriously then you'd need to reply to the technical issues raised - do any of these features which Don highlighted actually appear on R/T engines? Or do you have some expertise with which you can refute the suggestion that these features make an engine better (I'd love to hear that!!). Then again, if by "sad" and "lame" you actually just mean "not of interest to me" then fine, just don't read it, nobody's forcing you to.

Don. Thanks for your original post; having never seen a Merch engine stripped down, it's very interesting (to me!) to see what the extra dollars pay for.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:56 AM
true to the cause
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by MONTY
I think you'll find quite a few replies to Don's thread DID 'give a crap', or more accurately were appreciative of the information provided. As to the R/T argument, simply saying there's a lot of them around doesn't really say very much - there are, after all, a lot of idiots around but that doesn't mean it's good to be one! The fact that R/T stuff is common only means it's widely available and heavily marketed, not necessarily that its any better than average (and nobody's saying it's shite, just that it isn't the same calibre as Merch). If you're going to take the argument seriously then you'd need to reply to the technical issues raised - do any of these features which Don highlighted actually appear on R/T engines? Or do you have some expertise with which you can refute the suggestion that these features make an engine better (I'd love to hear that!!). Then again, if by "sad" and "lame" you actually just mean "not of interest to me" then fine, just don't read it, nobody's forcing you to.

Don. Thanks for your original post; having never seen a Merch engine stripped down, it's very interesting (to me!) to see what the extra dollars pay for.
Monty, if you read Dons threads he`s always saying R/T are shite, but you are right, no ones saying they are shite!

Old 01-23-2006, 05:10 AM
30 Day Ban
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by MONTY

Thanks for explaining that to me monty....I wonder if s&s have those features...the few Merch motors that i seen didnt hold up well or dyno well....wait wait hold on.. I live on the coast and i think i just seen something..Ill be back
Old 01-23-2006, 05:46 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Yeah OK, Don said "piece of crap", although that was after a bit of agro, and he is pretty down on R/T generally.

The point is (at least from my view) that the R/T product has two areas of issue that might prompt folks to spend a few extra dollars on something else, such as an Merch:

1. The R/T products are definitely designed and manufactured down to a price rather than up to a standard. That’s not to say they’re useless, but that they are limited in terms of quality. It’s maybe about the difference between ‘below average’, ‘average’, ‘good’ and ‘excellent’ but in the heat of argument more disparaging words like ‘crap’ creep out … !

2. R/T being made in Korea (or anywhere else but the USA) is an issue for some people, given the affect on jobs “at home”. It obviously is for Don, and perhaps not to quite the same extent it is for me too – I prefer to buy UK-made but if not then EU or US, and preferably not far East made. It’s a valid enough view even if not everyone subscribes to it.

But don’t mistake the second as an excuse for the first – as an engineer I recognise and appreciate the extra quality you get from a Merch, and recognise the limitations of other products, and as an engine builder Don obviously does too! Maybe he’s a bit of perfectionist (a good attribute in an engine builder I’d say!) and his vitriol is fuelled by irritation at seeing work that, against his standards, is “poor”.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:57 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by plasterhead
Thanks for explaining that to me monty....I wonder if s&s have those features...the few Merch motors that i seen didnt hold up well or dyno well....wait wait hold on.. I live on the coast and i think i just seen something..Ill be back
That's OK, sorry it was so obviously necessary.

If you've only seen a few Merch engines dyno'd, it's maybe not enough to be a representative sample, bearing in mind dyno results are as much to do with set up as with what's in the cases when the motor got built.

So:
Do R/T motors have the same features?
Can you give a technical argument for why these features do not provide the benefits that Don suggests?
Or are you just here to wind people up ...?

Sorry, I don't get the bit about living on the coast.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:02 AM
true to the cause
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I hear you loud and clear Monty, thats the rational explanation, and I`d agree with you, but you don`t see all the blurting this guy does, he`s the one fuelling his own fire, put another fucking log on!. ( no disrespect to you Monty).

Old 01-23-2006, 06:06 AM
VOTE FOR COWBELL!
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Wrenchin & riding American V-Twins
Not Ranked     
Don's skills and experience are'nt the subject matter here. Neither is a discussion of about American labor being outsourced overseas. What I see is the old saw "You get what you pay for". Merch maybe cutting edge, who knows for sure?. I'm sure that there has to be a horror story about EVERY manufacturer's product somewhere. I'm pro-American myself. While some are down on R/T and imports in general, will S&S, TP, Patrick, Merch, etc, etc, pay for the R&R of a suspected malfunctioning unit? I think not. For the price a 3 year/30K mile warranty isn't all that bad. TK.