Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Wire Plus WP143 - Turn Signal Cancel Module
Last Post: iwata
Posted On: Today
Replies: 2
Views: 1,574
Hello
Last Post: Poop
Posted On: Today
Replies: 2
Views: 37
New bobber needs more oil
Last Post: golfish
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 15
Views: 238
Jay Brake FWD Controls
Last Post: PCS2011
Posted On: 07-18-2017
Replies: 0
Views: 40
Bdl clutch hub / trans help
Last Post: STEINBVG
Posted On: 07-18-2017
Replies: 8
Views: 88
More...
Old 09-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: FB Ultima 113", TC88B chopper
Not Ranked     
I have a Ultima 113" with 1,500- 1,800 mile on it now. (no odometer) I broke two pushrods (but I think it was my fault in that when I put it at top dead center to adjust the push rods the motor turned a little from flywheel weight and so I think I was about 30 degrees off when I adjusted them and therefor set them loose?) Ultima gave me free parts to fix this.
A rocker cover stripped two bolts at the correct torgue s I tapped them over size.
I seem to have everythring set up right now. It starts great and runs great.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03 BMC w/ S&S 124; 75 Honda chop
Not Ranked     
below is an excerpt from my post on another forum (best engine for the money, or something). i strongly recommend you read and follow up on it before buying an el bruto, as i've spoken with several people, both on and off this forum, who have had very similar / identical experiences. my apologies to the people at ultima, who were very nice and helpful people throught the process...

anyway:

i've owned an ultima 127 the past year and had many problems. first off, i want to say that mid-west (distributor for all ultima engines and warranty authority) was exceptionally accomodating with my problems. i have nothing but good things to say about larry and the guys who handled my warranty paperwork, etc. but the engine... was a total POS. that engine took so many craps in my bike i've lost count--in one year! several tow companies know me by first name, thanks to that piece of shit. finally, i did some serious asking around this summer about the engine.

most telling was kendall johnson. there was an article in hotbike (http://www.hotbikeweb.com/tech/0504hb_ultima/) for which he had begun intitial testing of the 127. the article had mentioned forthcoming follow ups about his experiences, but i never could find one. when i called to talk to him, he didn't have much nice to say about the dozen (give or take) that he'd had in his shop. his experiences had been consistently negative, including piston fitment, gasket leaks, and valve problems... the same problems i'd been having over and over, and the same problems other locals here had encountered. he expressed regret over the original article, because so many people had called him trying to get help with their warranty issues.

i hate to be negative about a company or a product, especially when the people and the company really seemed to go out of their way to be helpful. a good engine, on the other hand, is what i needed, and unfortunately as of this summer ultima still could not produce one for me. my apologies in advance to larry miller and others at ultima, but i hate to see others have the same troubles that i and others have had.

on a good note, last month i installed an S&S, and so far, pretty good. only 1,300 miles so far (lots of good weather after Katrina), but i'm really starting to like this motor. i also got the IST ignition, which doubled my warranty (needless to say, that's become pretty important to me).

all in all, i have to disagree with the notion that any motor is as good as another, with proper break-in. a poorly constructed motor (it only takes a small mistake to wreak havoc) may not make it 2,000 miles, or 200. the cost of being stranded a couple times when you're out of town certainly adds to the cost of an otherwise low-priced engine.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:42 AM
Punchbowl Lifeguard
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 03 BMC w/ S&S 124; 75 Honda chop
Not Ranked     
where credit is due

i suppose to avoid being too negative, i should mention that the engine absolutely hauled ass, and i cannot overstate how powerful and smooth it was once dialed in. interestlingly, it was significantly stronger than my S&S 124 is now, although i haven't yet dynoed the 124.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 81 FXE/Custom Chop in process
Not Ranked     
I also have a polished 113 Ultima that I used for my just finished custom. I have 1100 miles on her and the motor has performed flawlessly. I must state that it was purchased from SMC and that SMC does not use Utlima's rocker boxes, rockers, pushrods or cam cover, and SMC pre-runs the motor for approx. 15-30 minutes.

As an aside, I believe SMC purchases their motors as unassembled short blocks (at least that's what I remember on the MSO) and they do their own polishing. I must say that the polishing is excellent.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:40 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: WAR EAGLE SINGLE SIDED PRO STREET
Not Ranked     
Hey CC, shoot me Jay's at Phantom's email, I'd like to give him a shot.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2004 Custom Soft tail, 113 S&S
Not Ranked     
HotRodKush,

Yes it was during the warranty period. Believe me I am not ripping Ultima as I said in my original post they are an awsome company to deal with and treat their customers well. I was just describing the problems that I had with the two motors that I had. I am glad that a lot of you guys have had good luck with your Ulitma's it just happened that I did not.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Modified Ultima Wolf Daddy, 93" Panhead
Send a message via AIM to HotRodKush
Not Ranked     
I was just wondering because mine is now out of warranty and if something breaks I was just curious if they would fix it or not.

But since yours was still under waranty, that answers my question. I've got no problems with mine as of yet, but we'll see. Thanks for the response.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: few
Not Ranked     
i have 127 with about 2000 miles on it (no speedo). i had heli coil all of the rocker cover bolts the threads pulled out before i got to the 80 in lb torque they reccomend as a minimum. they pulled out at 60 in lbs. the motor runs strong and pulls hard but leaks at the center of the cases and i think the head gaskets are starting to leak oil on the right side of the motor ill be replacing them soon i guess. the motor is from smw in oklahoma. they only give a six month warranty from date of purchase. takes six months to build a bike so warranty is useless.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: my own build el bruto 113
Not Ranked     
gkm, whats SMC? do they have a website?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 05 CFL
Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by Spartacus
Hey CC, shoot me Jay's at Phantom's email, I'd like to give him a shot.
jay@phantomcycleUSA.com

Quote:
Originally posted by cynical
gkm, whats SMC? do they have a website?
http://www.southern-mc.com/
Old 09-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Club Chopper Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom
Send a message via Yahoo to pushrod243
Not Ranked     
I can get pretty good deals on the Ultimas too. I can put you together some pring if your interested.
Suite 104
Sorrento, FL 32776
www.scootersperformance.com
(four0seven)330-2056

Old 09-20-2005, 12:17 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by chopper thug
i have 127 with about 2000 miles on it (no speedo). i had heli coil all of the rocker cover bolts the threads pulled out before i got to the 80 in lb torque they reccomend as a minimum. they pulled out at 60 in lbs. the motor runs strong and pulls hard but leaks at the center of the cases and i think the head gaskets are starting to leak oil on the right side of the motor ill be replacing them soon i guess. the motor is from smw in oklahoma. they only give a six month warranty from date of purchase. takes six months to build a bike so warranty is useless.
SMW has a 1 year warranty on all engines plus gives you a 90 day grace period before the warranty kicks in. Perfect for the builder.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:53 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2 custom choppers
Not Ranked     
I bought two 113's from SMW. The first one had bad valve cover leaks. They were using a 3 piece covers at the time. They replaced them with 2 piece covers and all was good. The 2nd 113 from SMW both head gaskets blew. The studs between the head and cylinder were too long. They sent new gaskets and I ground down the studs. All was good after that. I've been using Dyna 2000i ignitions on all my bikes and it seems to work good with the ultimas...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2005, 06:03 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: WAR EAGLE SINGLE SIDED PRO STREET
Not Ranked     
Hey guys, how do you think the El Brutos comapre to the S&S's and TP's quality,durability,HP, price and so on? I'm really trying to do as much research as I can before I buy. Thanks
Old 09-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: '49 Pan
Not Ranked     
S&S is a proven company that has been around since 1958 (almost 50 years) Thier longevity alone speaks for itself. Thier innovation and dedication to this industry is unsurpassed. Not to say bad about others, but there are only two that have stood the test of time.... HD and S&S.
www.chopperheadroad.com
info@chopperheadroad.com

Last edited by bwana; 09-20-2005 at 06:40 PM..