Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
new oz member
Last Post: 300 club
Posted On: Yesterday
Replies: 7
Views: 496
SAT Motorsports rigid attempt.
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 05-26-2022
Replies: 117
Views: 30,006
Ignition box terminals
Last Post: JamesS
Posted On: 05-26-2022
Replies: 6
Views: 80
Rucker performance gauntlet seat
Last Post: GREENEDONNIE
Posted On: 05-16-2022
Replies: 0
Views: 146
Nation Wide Events Schedules With Details
Last Post: OfficialBigDog
Posted On: 05-11-2022
Replies: 0
Views: 78
More...
Old 05-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 04 BBC Venom ProStreet
Not Ranked     
RevTech oil system update

I called CCI on the oil system upgrade for the 100/110 RevTech. The tech told me that they had changed the oil system on the production line in Dec. of 2004. Since then, they have had many complaints of oil coming from the breather. The update corrects this problem. My motor was built in Nov. of 2004 so the update buys me nothing. I read posts about a RevTech upgrade and thought I should do it, but CCI says no.

Just thought I'd pass this on for whatever it may be worth. Looks like if your motor was built prior to 12/04, it's fine the way it is.

later on...
weirdo
Old 05-09-2005, 12:01 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom Shovelhead Barhopper, BBC Venom
Not Ranked     
Hummmm...

OK Fuelie, what's your spin on this???
Old 05-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: FXE "91" Shovel, Fuel drag bike
Not Ranked     
Dear weirdo, and bostonshovel
if I read your comment, they have changed the production oiling system in December 2004, that sounds accurate from what I was told, but weirdo you said that your engine was built in November of 2004, and that the update would buy you nothing? If your engine was built prior to their production change then I would say the update will do you a world of good. I have not seen any engine personally with a "factory" difference, but on the engines I have personally done this update to, it has changed a ton of things for the better. Oil coming out of the breathers is a fairly common problem on bigger displacement engines. the displacement changes, but the cases have not gotten bigger to match the increase volume of the engine. If you have some oil or more oil than you think is normal, then the update will help you see a reduction there, plus you should see the engine perform better. The oil that is removed from the engine case, frees up the flywheels from spining in oil and helps boost some extra ponies! I hope that explains that for you, and I'm only relaying what I personally know. Good luck, and stay in the wind!

Sincerely,
Fuelie

................ADIOS!
Old 05-09-2005, 01:04 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 07 custom
Not Ranked     
SO HOW DO WE GO ABOUT GETTING THIS UPDATE?
Old 05-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Dear MOSHACHUSETTS,
best thing to do as always. Contact the source direct. In this case contact the guys at the Custom Chrome Tech line. or if you have issues try. www.customchrome.com good luck, and stay in the wind!

Sincerely,
Fuelie

................ADIOS!
Old 05-09-2005, 04:42 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 02 FATBOY
Not Ranked     
check for 2 x's stamped above the allen bolts inthe oil sump if the x's are there you don't need an update if no x's call your cci dealer and get the update
Old 05-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Fuelie - I tried to explain to the CCI Tech guru that I had a "buddy" that saw performance increases by applying the update and it's like he didn't want to listen. The 12/04 date is when "supposedly" the factory made a change to the oiling system that back fired on them. The update is to correct the flawed factory changes (just repeating what the guy said). I was told that since my motor was produced before the change, I did not need the correction. I'm not having any issues with oil overflow, I was just trying to get some free horsepower. I guess I should have told the Tech that I can't keep oil in the darn thing. Then maybe he would have given me the update? I don't know. I'm not doubting the HP gain and cooling results. All I was doing is passing along what the Custom Chrome Tech line told me when I tried to get the update. I think they're hiding something...... You guys thinking conspiracy with me?

later,
weirdo
Old 05-10-2005, 11:24 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1965 Electraglide,2000 Nightrain
Not Ranked     
Anyone care to explain just what this update is? Somone forgot to copy somthing correctly? Or is this SECRET Technology such as whats really inside these turkeys?

Don
Old 05-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Quote:
Originally posted by HDFACTORYCERTIF
Anyone care to explain just what this update is?
Don
not sure....I couldn't get much more out of CCI. I was hoping Fuelie would get back on here and tell us. It has to be a scavenge plate or something to allow the dry sump to pick up more oil.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: Custom Shovelhead Barhopper, BBC Venom
Not Ranked     
It's no secret...but!

Here is a link to a terrific photo sequence of the magic update.

Unfortunately someone tinkered with it and the photos are all RED X.

http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/sh...=210790#210790

The upgrade involves plugging the existing crankcase to gearcase port and adding another.

I would have thought that Fuelie would be able to help on this one...

Contact Fog Cycle, for more details
Old 05-11-2005, 12:56 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 1965 Electraglide,2000 Nightrain
Not Ranked     
I have to say, this is one problem that has not been noticed on the existing Revtech engines in my area.
Interesting is, the only Custom Chrome dealers still left in in my area discourge sales of these engines related to crankshaft, vibration problems and rotten repair of these issues.
The one outfit that really pushed sales of these import products is now out of buisness.
Even though Fuelie has stated that he has personally has done this upgrade, he has not kicked down any relevant info on this situation.
This industry is sadly lacking of those that operate on the level and the square. And I deal with it every day, such is life!

Don
Old 05-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Dear weirdo,
first I don't know why any tech person from Custom Chrome would give you a bad time or the run around unless they just don't have the knowledge. I have always seemed to get good help when I've called them, I havent always gotten my way, but they have been what I call honest and tried to help, and most of the time they were successful. Now I have performed this update, and it's not secret, it's very simple and it modifies the already good oil system. The 110 was a bit over engineered, and is a hybrid when compaired to a standard EVO type of engine. Since again my buddy Don likes to throw jabs my way without knowing who I am, I will now explain step by step the performace upgrade right here in this forum!

First I am giving your step by step directions right off of the Revtech performce update I received from Custom Chrome. It is simple and damn it really works!

1. Remove the spark plugs
2. Remove ignition timing / points cover.
3. Remove ignition timing / trigger cup. *mark current ignition location for future timing

4. Remove push rod clips
5. Rotate engine over by hand until both front valves are closed ( cam base circle)
a. make sure lifters are bled down (check for push rod free play)
b. turn engine over once lifters are bled, until the rear intake valve is closed.
c. Verifiy push rod free play. * at this time 3 of the 4 pushrods will spin.

6. Check camshaft timing cup slot. *slot should be around the 7:00-8:00 position.

7. Removed the six (6) cam cover bolts.
8. Remove the cam cover
a. drain the cam chest of oil
b. Pull sump plate drain plugs to drain sump contents.
9. Install the Revtech drill fixture with supplied hardware.
10. Use supplied 5/16 drill bit to open oil passage
a. Use shop vacuum to aid in removal of debris
b. flush out oil passage with PJ1 or other type of contact cleaner.
c. Back flush oil passage with motor oil.

11. Install breather port plug supplied with kit.
a. Use small amount of green sleave loctite
b. Install plug in port, and tighten until flush ( plug has shoulder and will bottom out.)

12. Remove drill fixture
13. Clean out cam chest area
14. Install pins supplied with kit into the sump plate drain holes.
15. Re Install sump plate drain plugs (pipe sealant or teflon type of tape recommended)

16. Clean all hardware (cam cover etc.)
17. apply blue loctite to all hardware
18. apply assembly lube to end of camshaft and pinion shaft
19. Install cam cover, and hardware.
a. Torque hardware to 120 inchlbs
20. Install push rod clips
21. Install ignition timing / trigger cup.
22. Install ignition * refer to marks made at time of removal. If no marks were made, please refer to standard static timing procedures.

23. Install igntion timing cover.

Labor time in motorcycle 1.0 hr
labor with engine out of bike 30 min.

now this is that simple, and sorry photos that came with my instructions would help make it a bit easier, but again I received this direct from Custom Chrome. The point of this is to allow the oil pump to pick up oil at a higher point in the engine case. There oil pump although improved is still a gear type of pump. The sump or oil pick up is very low in the engine case, so the pump works very hard and can not be as efficient as possible, so again they are tapping into an oil passage closer to the pump, allowing it to work better and more efficient. The pins that are incerted into the bottom of the sump, are to block the bottom sump. this way all the oil that enters the cam chest is now picked up there. Prior to that more oil would stay in the case. I know this long, but since a few wanted to know what it was I wanted to explain. it works, and the beauty is the change is not permenant for example I heard a Gerotor pump is a possiblity like a TC engine. Now they work much better than a gear type of pump, and then the Revtech engine can be allowed to run that and utilized the sump. Again I'm puzzled why werido has had problems with the tech line, but they sent me the update free of charge, with directions, photos and supplied parts. Best thing try to contact and talk to another person at there tech line.

Fuelie

................ADIOS!
Old 05-11-2005, 09:10 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
thanks Fuelie for taking the time for a detailed explanation
Old 05-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: '04 Independent Da Chopper 110" revtec
Not Ranked     
Fuelie, I for one would like to thank you . Not everyone rides ( or wants to ride ) and H-D. You have posted some very helpful stuff. Some of the people here think they know everything..... A wise man once told me you can learn something from everyone. I hope I never know it" ALL". So again thanks for all the info you post. Buck
Old 05-14-2005, 05:37 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 02 FATBOY
Not Ranked     
I also got my update today from my local cci dealer,I am gonna do it today and will let you all know what all the talk is about. I don't really care who rides what 'Igot a garage full of harleys hondas and customs and they are all good to me