Club Chopper Forums Industrial Parts House  

Go Back   Club Chopper Forums > CHOPPER SHOP/TECH AREA > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Chopper!  The World's largest and coolest place to be on the net if you dig the following!

•  » Custom Bikes
  •  » Killer Paint
  •  » Old School Craftsmanship
  •  » Building and Wrenching
  •  » Hot Babes
  •  » Chopper Build Logs

...then you have come to the right place!

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Chopper Tech
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Tech Article
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Club Chop Gallery

Club Chopper Gallery

Submit Your Photos!

Active Threads
Black Diamond Build
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: Today
Replies: 48
Views: 22,749
Eyes
Last Post: Shovel52
Posted On: 12-04-2019
Replies: 7
Views: 2,247
FXR / FLT Rigid builds?
Last Post: Spade115
Posted On: 12-02-2019
Replies: 9
Views: 3,704
Oil vs fuel vs transmission line?
Last Post: Am4wag
Posted On: 11-30-2019
Replies: 6
Views: 840
"the Flang Beater" 78 xs650
Last Post: KurseD
Posted On: 11-24-2019
Replies: 41
Views: 9,684
More...
Old 10-28-2003, 06:50 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2003, chopper, TP 116 Stroked
Not Ranked     
Leaking oil

Can someone tell me whats wrong. I have a 116 TP engineering motor and it pukes oil out of the very bottom vent for the crankcase. It only does it when it sits a few hours and then when i crank it up it pukes oil out. It seems like the oil leaking inside the crankcase and then when i crank it it spits it out.After i crank it , it spits about a handfull of oil then its fine when i ride it. What could be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2003, 08:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 98 bourget proget 96" S&S
Not Ranked     
I believe that there is a check ball (valve) that prevents oil from draining back into the crankcase upon sitting. Yours is probably stuck or has some debris keeping it from sealing.

FTD
Old 10-28-2003, 09:10 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Or your "key" in your oil pump scavenger gear isnt there, or broke. I had the same problem but mine was so bad it was coming out of the top breathers after about 10 seconds when i first started it. after that it was fine....then i let it sit for a day or 3 and same crap

my problem was a key AND a cracked seat in the checkball.

-rob

P.S. I shouldnt have to say this BUT jsut in case...souble tripple check you have the hoses going where they are suppose to
Old 10-28-2003, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2003 Custom Rigid Springer Chopper, 124"
Not Ranked     
My TP 113 did the same thing. I changed the oil pump and never had a problem again. Upon inspection of the old pump it appears that someting had went through it other than oil. I lucked out as TP covered the cost of the pump and I performed the labor.

My new TP 124 doesn't have a bottom breather. With their new rocker box design this thing does't even puke oil out the top breathers. This makes me wonder if it's possible to block the bottom vent once your problem is fixed.

A riding buddy had his Revtech puke oil out the bottom breather. The so called repair shop plugged the bottom breather and it than puked out the top end. In the end Revtech warrantied the motor as it was determined something ran through the motor causing damage to the pump.

I don't know if this will help you....On my 113 I plumbed the top breathers into my exhaust, in essence creating an evac system.
03 Custom Rigid Springer Chopper, 124" TP, Jims 6spd, 10up 7 out 47* rake 2 back. 01 HD Screamin' Eagle Road Glide, Baker DD6, Pioneer AVIC N2, RC Comps 21"/18". 00 Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, 10" over 250 arm, Turbo w/water injection. 97/00 "Budget Build" TC88 Softail, 20" Apes, hand shift, left side exhaust.
http://www.motorcycleturntabledisplay.com
Old 10-28-2003, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 04 Carolina Customs Prostreet
Not Ranked     
I don't know if this will help you....On my 113 I plumbed the top breathers into my exhaust, in essence creating an evac system.

Puzzled ,
Didn't it smoke?
Old 10-28-2003, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
No it didn't. That was a concearn although. I guess the amount of oil that actually escapes out through the heads is mimimal or at least it is suppose to be. I know by hooking the breather line to the exhaust it helped pull the mist out and created less drag on the rotating assembly. I would assume the less drag is created by elimanting crankcase pressure. This is all old school drag racing stuff. The new cars actually run pumps to elimanate crank case pressure.
03 Custom Rigid Springer Chopper, 124" TP, Jims 6spd, 10up 7 out 47* rake 2 back. 01 HD Screamin' Eagle Road Glide, Baker DD6, Pioneer AVIC N2, RC Comps 21"/18". 00 Suzuki GSX 1300R Hayabusa, 10" over 250 arm, Turbo w/water injection. 97/00 "Budget Build" TC88 Softail, 20" Apes, hand shift, left side exhaust.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 74 Ironhead
Send a message via Yahoo to RippoDippo
Not Ranked     
Say Puzzled on you TP 124 it has the new
head design Pro Vent so it don't puke Oil outta the top, what about the bottom?. Looking hard at the TP121 it most likely will get the nod. But I'd like to hear more from the PowerHouse 114
Old 10-29-2003, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
The 124 has no bottom breather hole. I don't know about the 121. The 121 is a fine choice, it supposedly has a less vibration than the 124.

The poerhouse 114 is a great design. I like the automotive style beraings. The price is up there compared to the same size motor from other companies.

I was/am able to get some decent pricing on TP's. Not cost but way better than retail.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:55 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2003, chopper, TP 116 Stroked
Not Ranked     
Hey, thanks for everybodys reply. It must be in the pump.

Puzzled, if i take the pump off is there anything i need to watch for like shaft falling in the motor or anything like that. If you have any detailed instructions that would be great
Old 10-29-2003, 06:22 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
losing the keys, or having them "go somewhere bad"

-Rob
Old 10-29-2003, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
If my memory serves me correct there are a couple of gaskets and 4 gears. There are a couple of check valves but you will not be removing them until the pump is out....actually I don't think the check valves come out. There is a allen head plug that you remove. At this point you can spray some parts cleaner in there. Or you could give Joe a call at TP, he is very helpfull.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:16 PM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
BTW - DONT reuse gaskets, and make sure that if you do check the checkball (which you should) make sure its clean..make sure you know which hole to put the right spring/ball in.

1 valve has a spring and a ball

other has a different spring..and youd think nothing else..but its a cylinder type valve that will slide out. you SHOULD check them all, and the tension in the springs. just make sure you put them back.

if you can check the checkball seat, see if its cracked..mine was

other than that its simple stupid, 4 gears...2 on one side 2 on the other...cant screw them up due to it wont physically go back together if you switch them.

there is a clip on the shaft that you will have to remove after you get the cover part off to get the pump off as well. when you start taking it apart...youll see what i mean.

some are different, i'm describing a revtech.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
"some are different, i'm describing a revtech."

The TP is very similar.

"other than that its simple stupid"

Indeed it is.
Old 10-30-2003, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
I was looking back at some pictures of my last bike and I noticed I had ran the head and crankcase breathers into the pipes.

It shouldn't smoke, since it shouldn't be puking oil. There should only be a mist coming out of these lines/vents.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:45 AM
Club Chopper Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Bike Year, Make, Engine: 2002 Nemisis 100CI
Not Ranked     
I am having the same problem with my 2 head breathers leaking oil into the air filter area....I would like to also route my breather hoses to my straight pipes. Can someone email me back at sscotty2@hotmail.com and explain what kind of lines (hopefully SS braided lines) you used to withstand the extreme heat from the straight pipes. Thank You for your time!